Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 6.5x55 new barrel or new gun

Might just be easier to buy a whole new howa 1500 in 6.5x55 for around the same price as a barrel. And then you get modern action strength so hotter reloads.
    johnino and Steve123 like this.

All good.
    johnino likes this.

northdude
    ive got my m96 sporter a t3 and m38 i use for service rifle i still find i grab the sporter the most the t3 is nice modern stainless plastic seems to kill the same even tho the sporter runs slightly lower powered loads as far as hunting accuracy goes there isnt much in it the new fancy modern t3 i good to use but just doesnt quite do it for me the way the m96 does dont know why old age maybe grandad has more character maybe im not into this throw away world we live in it would be a shame to see another fine piece of history turned into scrap
    Marty Henry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Might just be easier to buy a whole new howa 1500 in 6.5x55 for around the same price as a barrel. And then you get modern action strength so hotter reloads.
    Cant get much hotter than what a Husky 1600 can handle. Many years ago somebody did some research and the Husky was the only rifle that you could fully pack the barrel with sand, fire it, and still open the bolt.
    northdude and johnino like this.

northdude
    plus the hottest loads arent always the best loads thats what ive found time and time again actually the only rifles i own that like hot loads and are accurate so far are my 22hornets and my 243 hant pushed the 06 yet but it also shoots fine without pushing it
    johnino likes this.

Probably go for a good second hand Tikka or Howa in same caliber, be about the same price. 6.5 X 55 is a great accurate caliber and fine for our game.
    johnino likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    mmm pity you are so far away. I think I have small ring mauser (husky 1600 thread?) out in the shed. Sneaky suspicion its 243 and cant comment on condition.
    Could've had that for a couple of beers. need to have look
    Edit: found them. actually 2-ones a 280 imp. Rifling so-so in both although the 280 is marginally better in the 280. Throats are a bit naff in both but at least the 280 has a bit of meat there if you wanted to do a bit of a mild shorten up maybe? the 280 looks the same thread as the 243. Measure 0.985" with the digi verniers and as small rings are meant to be 980" I'd say they are on the money.
    Pity you aren't close enough to have a squiz.

Attachment 135529

Attachment 135530

Attachment 135531
    Are either of these for sale?