Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 3 Post By Goateater
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 3 Post By Sharki
  • 1 Post By 11mms
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By Billbob
  • 7 Post By Goateater
  • 1 Post By canross
  • 1 Post By Jhon

Thread: Advice/tips for DIY bowstring

Advice/tips for DIY bowstring

I've been making a diy bow and arrow with my boys these school holidays and the string component has become a problem. The bow is a recurve design using cut down snow skis, measures around 45lb to draw. Arrows have been made from 8mm dowel. I've tried making a proper string using 12 strands of 20lb fishing braid, but I cant figure out the Flemish twist method despite watching numerous youtube videos attempting to explain how it is done. Instead I just tied off the twisted ends as loops (fishing trace style) and despite getting an awesome shot out of the setup (the boys were well impressed) one of the knots snapped immediately after the first shot.
    Does anyone know of a less efficient but stronger material to use, or a really good video on how to set up a string properly? Or is this beyond a rookie diy project and I should just buy a pre made string? Any advice appreciated, cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    cb14, TianBotha and RV1 like this.

plat and splice perhaps????
    Goateater likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Looking that up now, could be a go if I can figure it out, cheers

Sad u north island , could show u my way use a continous piece of braid , I use 80lb
    2 nails into whatever , correct distance apart ( length u want it to be)
    Start with about 10 cm braid , no fk top much typing on phone, pm u my number , call or text me I'll explain , gonna take hrs typing
    Moa Hunter, MarkN and Goateater like this.

Harakeke. Scraped for fibre, then roll "threads" to about 2x length, then braid them. you have to twist the thread clockwise while you lay it in counterclockwise.
    Goateater likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Goateater View Post
    Looking that up now, could be a go if I can figure it out, cheers
    simple plat is three strands,alternate left then right,keep tucking over centre...when slpicing it back into itself,just keep following thread back down..then maybe bind over the knot.... 6 strands just keep two together.
    Goateater likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Whats that riser made out of? It won't be pretty if that splits or snaps at 45lbs
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Watch Clay Hays on YouTube on string making.
    Micky Duck and Hunter_Nick like this.

Thanks for the replies, I'll PM you Sharki. The middle bit is made from a piece of fencing rail (pine), but yeah, think I'll wear safety glasses next time... The purpose (apart from why not) was to see if ne and the boys wanted to get into bow hunting without investing much $ in case it wasn't our thing. I think I'll look at buying a proffesional recurve bow and keep working away at this diy one for fun. It would be satisfying to shoot a goat with a homemade bow and arrow though...

Bow string now sorted. Sharki is the man, explained in 5min on the phone what would have taken me a looong time to figure out. Ended up making a diy bow string jig and string serving tool, used 80lb braid, 14 strands in the string. Have shot a dozen arrows to test it out and is sound. Now for a lot of practice with it before seeing how close I can sneak in to some goats...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Ages back I made a bowstring from dacron flyline backing line. Used white and orange line so it would look nice. Tied the untwisted line off against a hook on the wall, chucked the other end in a drill, then spun it while keeping it taught. Once it wouldn't spin anymore without balling up, I had someone grab the whole thing in the middle and walk it backwards forming a narrowing V until the two ends touched, then allowed the two halves to gently twist together into a rope. It takes a bit of work to avoid it balling up, but forms a beautiful even twist line. I can't remember the ratio of starting untwisted line length versus finished twisted length but I believe you need to start with something like 2.5x or 3x your finished length when you prep your line for twisting. Once it's twisted you then hang it with a weight on it to let it relax for a while before using it.
    11mms likes this.

I used to make mine from the waxed thread used in a hand stitching tool. Buy it by the spool. Spotlight should have it. Brown clour about the thickness of thin kitchen string.very strong- I laid about 5 strands together iirc and simply whip finished loops at each end and also the middle notching point. No need to twist or braid. It stays tight together under strung bow tension.
    11mms likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Should be able to buy a good bow for under 200 hundy. They all made in China anyway so ali express is the go.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    Should be able to buy a good bow for under 200 hundy. They all made in China anyway so ali express is the go.
    ‘All made in China’ you sure about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk