Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Baikal single shot rebarrel - Anyone done this?

I had an opportunity to shoot this properly today. Unfortunately, only at 100m, which is not ideal for a rifle like this, with sights like this and eyes like mine. Saying that, I shot at a 10" gong for the first round and smacked it good, much to my surprise. I then moved to paper and shot 4 rounds of my 450gr projectiles and got a "group" of around 5moa, which I am very happy with. I could only barely make out the target ring as the sun was heading down and directly on the target. The sights seem to be pretty close at 100m, more than good enough for a rifle like this, which I don't intend to shoot further than 80m or so. Velocity averaged around 1060fps, so I might drop 0.2gr to keep it consistently subsonic.

Name:  2022-01-31-21-29-33ßBaikal 45-70 450gr.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  2.50 MB

Load was;
    Hornady brass trimmed to around 1mm shorter than standard
    Custom 450gr projectile, powder coated and sized to 0.463
    14.5gr AP100
    1.0gr Dacron Fill
    Random primers from the bottom of my reloading drawers.

The next stage for this rifle is to make a suppressor for it. I can go to around 40-41mm before it starts getting in the way of the sight picture and I will keep it fairly short at 160mm or so, it will likely be aluminium tube and baffles and I will probably glue it together rather than threading to keep the weight and complexity to a minimum. The goal of this is not to have a mouse fart gun, but something that can be shot without hearing protection and not have the far-reaching sonic crack of high velocity cartridges so it can be used in less than rural areas when less noise is needed.

I am moving my house and workshop over the next couple of weeks, so nothing will be done for a while.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

I had good intentions and THOUGHT my bush shots would be 25-50 yards...but the other day I got 3 oppertunities and none were less than 75yards...2 clean misses at 100ish yards 2-3 hours apart....yeah nah.....have bodgied up a scope attachment...will see how we get on when its cured....
    have you tried this again???
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Same with me, my last "bush" shot opportunity was 310m. Luckily I was carrying a mates 6.5CM with a range finder and drop indicator built into the scope. About the easiest possible way to shoot 300m.

I haven't had an opportunity to shoot this again between moving house, organizing my workshop and now the cops are dragging the chain on my renewal and I have no license or firearms at the moment. I applied over 7 months ago.

well I cannot "like that"......... hopefully it will come through soon for you.
    at least you got your deer with the right tools at hand.

Im pretty sure if you made up some more wee apertures that fit onto dovetails...both sizes and could keep the cost down,they would be rather popular and sell like hot cakes...

Greeting @Micky Duck.
    A lot of continental rifles have a 12mm approx dovetail including some of the early Brno .22 rifles. I have heard of some making up an adaptor to take an aperture sight intended for 3/8" dovetails.
    GPM.
    kristopher and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Im pretty sure if you made up some more wee apertures that fit onto dovetails...both sizes and could keep the cost down,they would be rather popular and sell like hot cakes...
    The problem is in keeping the cost down. Aperture sights (even very simple ones) are fiddly things to make. I would have to charge in the region of $150 for them to be worth my time, and even then I would not be making much, if anything. Unfortunately that's just the reality of manual machines and small scale.

For Baikal's in particular, you would need much higher than standard front sights as well if the aperture was sitting on top of the dovetail.

Its a good idea, and there are bound to be people interested in the product, but probably not for the price tag that would be necessary.
    Micky Duck and RugerM77 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyTen View Post
    The problem is in keeping the cost down. Aperture sights (even very simple ones) are fiddly things to make. I would have to charge in the region of $150 for them to be worth my time, and even then I would not be making much, if anything. Unfortunately that's just the reality of manual machines and small scale.

For Baikal's in particular, you would need much higher than standard front sights as well if the aperture was sitting on top of the dovetail.

Its a good idea, and there are bound to be people interested in the product, but probably not for the price tag that would be necessary.
    Why not make a clamp type front sight with a 15>20mm high blade that you can cut down to suit as there a lots of old peep sites floating around that could be fitted by the average bubba .
    Moa Hunter likes this.

If you are going to make a clamp on foresight, make it suppressor diameter and give yourself the extra sight radius. I've been thinking about something like that, with a couple of grub screws to keep it in place.

Make it DPT sized, and open your market right up. That, and a skinner sight attached to the rear base could be a very handy back up set, or full time for bush hunting in the rain.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and m101a1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Nolan View Post
    If you are going to make a clamp on foresight, make it suppressor diameter and give yourself the extra sight radius. I've been thinking about something like that, with a couple of grub screws to keep it in place.

Make it DPT sized, and open your market right up. That, and a skinner sight attached to the rear base could be a very handy back up set, or full time for bush hunting in the rain.
    I sized the front sight on this rifle to take a suppressor. Limited it to around 38mm though, rather than the standard 44mm to keep the front sight height reasonable when there is no suppressor attached.

Again, as far as making a product to sell, front sights are even more fiddly and time consuming to make.

I made a suppressor for this a while back and have not shot it since making it. So I took it along to the range on the weekend to sort out a load for it and see how it shoots with a suppressor.

The suppressor is made so the front cap can screw off and take a replaceable wipe baffle made from neoprene or silicon sheet. I have tried both and they both only last 1 or two shots with the flat nose projectiles I'm using. It's noticeably quieter with a wipe, but still not "earmuffs off" quiet. Be fine for hunting, but not at the range. I didn't have enough ammo or wipes to establish how it changes the POI or accuracy.

Recoil is also reduced to quite a pleasant level. It's still a lively gun and has a lot of jump, but is in no way painful to shoot.

I settled on the following load:
    450gr powdercoated cast flat nose
    14.3gr ADI AP100
    Large Pistol primer
    1.0gr Dacron fill
    Light crimp

One downside to the Dacron fill is the suppressor stinks of burnt plastic now.

This has resulted in a load that averages about 1060fps

Group is shot at 25m, high shot was cold bore and a bit of a flinch I think.

Now I just need to find some 4 legged stinkys to shoot with it.

Name:  PXL_20240206_065823960.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  4.99 MB
    Name:  PXL_20240206_065831171.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  2.94 MB
    Name:  PXL_20240203_223204657.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  1.74 MB
    Name:  PXL_20240206_012400463.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  2.31 MB

looks great. must get its sister out of cabinet and shoot something myself...(sister as barrel came from same place and it sits in a rusky too.)mine is a LOT cruder than yours all the same.

Stunning build and excellent workmanship!

Nice work & cool fun, you need that suppressor to be two to three times bigger & you will get Mouse Farts but big whacking sound of slug hitting animal or object !

I used 12.5gr of AP90, pinch of dacron & 500gr slugs to kill all sorts of game, I have the 50/70 Gov & 510WSM now but still working on a few loose ends with them.

That's awesome, some top notch work! I hope mine turns out half as good as that!