Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Belgium BLR 308 project trial a tribulations

Smile Belgium BLR 308 project trial a tribulations

Well its common knowledge that I've picked up a wee project Browning BLR 308win its an early steel receiver, I believe they ae called a Belgium BLR ?
    She's been carried a lot with the blueing worn off the sides of the reciever and has been re barreled at some stage by Mike Collings according to the marks stamped on the barrel.
    The trigger although having a little creep has definitely been fettled and breaks at about 2.5-3lbs certainly good enough for a short bush gun. I picked up a bushnell hd 1.75-5x32 which sits nice and low in the 1 piece mount that came with the rifle

Name:  IMG-20230509-WA0002.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  229.3 KB

First things first off to the gunsmith for a chop and thread, that's where the first trial came....when the barrel was removed it revealed some stamps indicating that the barrel was a 1:14 twist, originally I had intended on chopping the barrel to 14" but after talking with the smith about the twist rate I decided to revise that to 16", still nice and compact with the balance point right under the mag.
    Initially I was a little worried the 1:14 twist wouldn't stabilize the speer 165gn btsp but after runnng the figures through the berger stability calculator it should be ok...maybe. time will tell.

Name:  20230517_150709.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  3.02 MB

Took her straight to the range and gave it try with some pmc 150gn sp factory ammo and some 155gn eldm's a friend loaded up. Was very quick and slap dash but I was itching to shoot it
    Didn't shoot them too badly but room for improvement.

Name:  20230517_164707.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  1.50 MB
    The 2 lowest rounds are pmc the 3 higher rounds are the 155gn eldm hand loads

One issue that did come up is that both the factory pmc rounds and the hand loads where extremely hard to extract once fired so heading back to the smith tomorrow to check for a rough or tight chamber, hopefully a quick tickle with a hone or reamer will fix it.
    Then I can get on with working up a load. Will update when I get back from the smith tomorrow
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dannyb; 17-05-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    #DANNYCENT

now I know your a long range fella..but if you go round nose you will be able to go heavier and still stabalise..... and from my experience steer well clear of S&B brass
    timattalon and dannyb like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    now I know your a long range fella..but if you go round nose you will be able to go heavier and still stabalise..... and from my experience steer well clear of S&B brass
    Just using what's cheap and available in reality I'll be unlikely to shoot this rifle much past 200y and hopefully much much closer if the btsp dont fly right I'll try some 130gn spitzers or similar......fyi I'm using sako brass
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

So quick trip to the smith this morning, he gave the chamber a quick polish then ran a couple pmc factory rounds through it, extracted perfectly.... all good we thinks....gave him a couple reloads to try and ran into same issue, hard extraction... smith looked at the cases and identified that the cases were getting hung up in the chamber right at the base. Discussed options and decided to go with small base dies to ensure the base of the cases are getting sized, hopefully this will solve the hard extraction issue. The reloads were from my Lupo so not fire formed in the BLR. Whilst at gunworks picking up small base dies I also grabbed 300 speer 150gn hot core which my 1:14 barrel should stabalize very well.....time to get some ammo loaded

Name:  20230518_123649.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  2.56 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 19-05-2023 at 10:19 AM.
    timattalon likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Boring bullets can be beautiful too apparently
    Prepped some brass using the new rcbs small base dies and loaded up a ladder using the 150gn speer hotcore....shit i love beautiful bullets

Name:  received_789594296019144.jpeg
Views: 506
Size:  194.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    #DANNYCENT

funnily enough the small base die was suggested for us when we had issues..ours were getting them into chamber not out again.... just about drove me nuts trying to fix it.

and yes I concur..beautiful bullets,never had one made by speer I didnt like.

funnily enough the small base die was suggested for us when we had issues..ours were getting them into chamber not out again.... just about drove me nuts trying to fix it.
    Did you fix it ? If so how ? Did you try small base dies ? I will say the small base die reloads chamber noticeably easier than my lupo standard die reloads so fingers crossed hopefully get a chance to shoot them on the weekend
    #DANNYCENT

you HAD my solution.... those older lyman 30/06 dies were skinnier in body (yes I know they shouldnt be) than my hornady .308 dies...so I ran the loaded rounds through the .30/06 die with guts removed and it squeazed body just a little bit more down near base it fixed most of the problimatic ones.... the few that I just couldnt fix I sorted aside for use in the bolt action.

you HAD my solution.... those older lyman 30/06 dies were skinnier in body (yes I know they shouldnt be) than my hornady .308 dies...so I ran the loaded rounds through the .30/06 die with guts removed and it squeazed body just a little bit more down near base it fixed most of the problimatic ones.... the few that I just couldnt fix I sorted aside for use in the bolt action.
    Strangely enough I discussed just this with the gunsmith and he did not recommend it as 30-06 cases are more tapered than 308 cases.
    I have a set of lee 30-06 dies but after talking to the smith I would be a bit reluctant to try that.
    Fingers crossed the small base dies will do the job
    Micky Duck likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

I had contemplated getting all Bubba and cutting up a body die so the shoulder area was gone and cut more off bum so it was lower than supposed to be but still same taper.....I did the felt tip pen thing with the 30/06 dies and it ONLY did the area around the web..where I was having issues.. the BLR has next to no camming action which is why its problimatic..HOPEFULLY you have it sorted.
    dannyb likes this.

@dannyb that dose look like a Belgian made BLR. What’s the serial number? Mine was 4****K73
    So made in 1973.
    Think there’s an article somewhere on the net Hunting with Hobbie that has all the guts about them.
    The triggers can be a pain. It’s that little spring at the back that needs working. Your gunsmith maybe able to get yours better.
    The other fault I found with mine was the main stock bolt was compressing into the stock. Extra large washer fixed that also the that bolt had rusted up so had it out and gave it a good coat of anti rust paint. Same with the fore bolt.
    I’ve heard of some guys cutting a small grove in the barrel band which helped with getting better accuracy. You could take it off. But DONT LOSE IT! Their rear as rocking horse poo.
    Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Here’s mine.Name:  IMG_8237.jpeg
Views: 541
Size:  5.29 MBName:  IMG_8277.jpeg
Views: 576
Size:  2.59 MB
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

dannyb likes this.

Oh one other thing. The magazine can rattle, a small bit of electrical tape on each side fix’s this but take it off after each outing as it may rust up underneath.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    @dannyb that dose look like a Belgian made BLR. What’s the serial number? Mine was 4****K73
    So made in 1973.
    Think there’s an article somewhere on the net Hunting with Hobbie that has all the guts about them.
    The triggers can be a pain. It’s that little spring at the back that needs working. Your gunsmith maybe able to get yours better.
    The other fault I found with mine was the main stock bolt was compressing into the stock. Extra large washer fixed that also the that bolt had rusted up so had it out and gave it a good coat of anti rust paint. Same with the fore bolt.
    I’ve heard of some guys cutting a small grove in the barrel band which helped with getting better accuracy. You could take it off. But DONT LOSE IT! Their rear as rocking horse poo.
    Keep us posted on how it goes.
    Here’s mine.Attachment 224132Attachment 224133
    My trigger is already pretty good, don't think I'd risk meddling with it. Won't be touching the barrel band either even with factory pmc ammo it shoots good enough, I'll be happy if I can achieve 1" or there abouts. The smith gave it a good going over and a clean bill of health today so fingers crossed my load development goes smoothly.
    I am led to believe the serial number puts mine as a 1979 year of manufacture, it's a year older than me
    GSP HUNTER and Sideshow like this.
    #DANNYCENT