Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Custom Brno 22lr

Nice work, I like the idea of the pillars on the action, I might do that when I do another JW stock, it is difficult to get the front dovetail mount out of the bedding. I have used West epoxy with an aluminum powder which seems to work ok as well and is much cheaper.
    Do you have any more pictures of that chuck? Is it just a round block with 4 radial holes?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    That's fantastic maybe I missed reading it but how many hours in that project (it looks great quality hours��) just wondering
    Hard to tell as it was spread over such a long time but probably in the region of 30 - 40 hours.

Probably at least half of that was making the stock. The metalwork was fairly straightforward.
    Last edited by SixtyTen; 20-01-2018 at 09:56 AM.
    Bernie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli_Dog View Post
    Nice work, I like the idea of the pillars on the action, I might do that when I do another JW stock, it is difficult to get the front dovetail mount out of the bedding. I have used West epoxy with an aluminum powder which seems to work ok as well and is much cheaper.
    Do you have any more pictures of that chuck? Is it just a round block with 4 radial holes?
    I have done the same with epoxy. It sure works but its not the greatest. I was buying the small tubes of Devcon from places like TradeTools, I think they were around $20ea. Takes 2 tubes to do a standard bolt action. I have been buying it in the 500g pots recently as I use enough of it.

The chuck is just as you say, it uses 4 brass tipped bolts to avoid marring the workpiece. It also has 4 holes for bolting to a custom faceplate, which in turn bolts to the spindle nose of the lathe. The reason I did this was because the piece of aluminium I had on hand was too small to mount directly to the lathe.
    This type of chuck gives the advantage of being able to work on shorter barrels in the lathe. Means I can secure the other end of the barrel with another spider chuck.

Based on the "Bald Eagle" spider chuck.

Name:  bald eagle.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  20.1 KB

O for a milling machine!, Great stuff and nice set up work shop.

Hey Thanks for a great write up, a neat project.

What sort of size groups would you be expecting from a rifle like this with both CCI std and something the barrel "liked".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hey Thanks for a great write up, a neat project.

What sort of size groups would you be expecting from a rifle like this with both CCI std and something the barrel "liked".

Thanks
    Im currently seeing an average of around 30mm at 100m, with a few fliers due to using CCI, probably around 1 or 2 in 10 shots. I have found that using good match ammo doesnt shrink the groups a whole lot but it mostly eliminates the wild fliers you get from CCI which have nothing to do with the rifle.

These are a couple of groups shot at 100m, ignore the holes in the bottom, that was another shooter with another rife messing up my target. These 2 groups were particularly good, hence having a photo of them. Not an example of the average accuracy but the rifle can be capable of it. Left group is 10 shots with one flier. Right is 6 or 8 shots. I cant remember. Dots are 1" All shot prone off a bipod and rear bag.

It should be interesting to see what happens with good quality ammo. Not that I have anything against CCI Std at all.

Name:  IMG_20180102_142604.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  346.7 KB
    muzr257 and Tuckerbox like this.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    O for a milling machine!, Great stuff and nice set up work shop.
    I am quite amazed at what you achieve without a mill, especially your rifling setup. Im currently working on drawings for a drilling and rifling machine based on the info from Bill Webb, hopefully I will start work on it later this year.

A mill sure is nice, though I spend more time making tooling than working on guns. I guess I will run out of tooling to make at some point.

Great stuff.
    Would like love to have your setup

Yep, CCI Standard is what I shoot and you do get random fliers that ruin an otherwise cracking 100m group.
    But for $59 per 500, it's hard to go past.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Mate I have a brno MK24B PAXARMS rifle. BUT its missing the Gas valve. I would be super keen to purchase the lefts overs from you.

My number is 02102498462

Great read, looking forward to your next write-up/project!

Yes, terrific stuff SixtyTen !

Thanks for taking the time to write it up.

GWH
    Thats cool, some of you buggers are very clever indeed

I just brought a bulk box of eley standard $70 for 500 might be worth a go shoots awesome in my rifle
    Sk standard is great ive shot 1000’s of those in my competitive target shooting days
    I used to pay $8 a box more like 13 bucks a box now
    Get some lapua match ammo at 30 or 40 a box if you really want to test it