Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Has anyone ever built a caravan?

I see the benefits of converting buses etc but I'd prefer a trailer, I don't want another vehicle that won't get used much.

I see a lot of caravans are made out of composite panels now rather than framing and lining, sounds easy.

Ask those gypos that just came through NZ they might have some pointers

Joking aside there must be a few websites on this type of thing. It will still need to pass a wof test if you want it road legal.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    I see the benefits of converting buses etc but I'd prefer a trailer, I don't want another vehicle that won't get used much.

I see a lot of caravans are made out of composite panels now rather than framing and lining, sounds easy.
    Carbon fiber it is then, should be some cheap on ali express...
    Use enough gun

Frame out of laminated wood with aluminium outer skin. You can buy very good epoxy to bond the skin to the frame and chassis. Don forget the insulation. Urethane is the way to go.
    Remember the 7 “P”s; Pryor Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

You can solder join aluminium.

Don't go for aluminium alloys as they rust, pure aluminium is corrosion resistant.

@Happy has just done a small one,
    Carpe Diem likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

You know I thought about it and my kids bought one between them! Shelved that plan and got a licence to borrow!! Cheap and no storage worries!!
    40mm and Cordite like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    I've helped build a house-truck, and later built an RV, out of polystyrene sandwiched between sheet-alloy and colour-steel. If i did it again, I'd convert a medium box-truck and keep it as simple as possible. All the steel-buses I,ve seen and lived-in, RUST..too much condensation from bodies and cooking, the seams and roofs, dont cope too well.I believe you can use fixed-shutters over glass, o/wise it all has to be up to spec and labelled such...all fun, but can be a drama. Some kind of simple, ply, wood-framed"Camper" (with its own floor), on a light truck could be the go, you can still use the truck (take it off)then its only a Load..a little double-cab maybe. You could build something light and strong ,wood&ply Using boat-building techniques, and put it on a good tandem-trailer. Spare-bedroom at home, trailer to use, and camper when needed. Probably heaps of stuff on the net. You can make anything work if you really want, or have to
    rewa is onto it. Buy an insulated truck box body from a truck wreaker ( one that has been a chiller truck ) and mount that on a trailer. Easy to buy a big galv trailer and mount the box on that.
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    rewa is onto it. Buy an insulated truck box body from a truck wreaker ( one that has been a chiller truck ) and mount that on a trailer. Easy to buy a big galv trailer and mount the box on that.
    Can you also do that with an insulated shipping container?

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Can you also do that with an insulated shipping container?
    be a bit heavy, and I hear the insulation can take on water increasing the weight too...
    Use enough gun

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 40mm View Post
    be a bit heavy, and I hear the insulation can take on water increasing the weight too...
    Agreed Heavy, but if the insulation is Poly Urethane it wont absorb water. polystyrene does and it happens with freezer containers ( and any type of freezer room) because as the air is frozen and looses the water it contains( humidity), a vacuum is created drawing air from outside through any cracks and as that air gets to a cold level in the insulation the moisture condenses (dew point) and gets left behind.
    https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/tra...fcdfe52cb28606 This trademe listing is an example of a trailer mounted box body. The concept could be scaled up to what ever size would work.
    rewa likes this.

Cheers for all the input, I’m going to do this with a completion date around Christmas.

So far I’m leaning towards building a train let and having it hot dipped then build the walls out steel and line with ply on inside and fibreglass on outside with aluminium trims on the corners. Might use wood for some of the framing.

The galv bath up here couldn’t take the frame whole so probably only the chassis will be dipped.

6mx2.3 seems like a good size.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    6mx2.3 seems like a good size.
    Max width of 2.55m for loads on a trailer... Was looking it up earlier today

So I can book it for a month, say Jan 2020?
    rewa likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    So I can book it for a month, say Jan 2020?
    Absolutely, I’ll even leave the wife and kids in it for you.