Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By country cuts
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By mikee

Thread: Has anyone ever lightened the springs in a B/O shotgun?

Has anyone ever lightened the springs in a B/O shotgun?

I just acquired a Turkish Armed 28g U/O for the Mrs.
    After seeing her struggle to open it after firing a couple of rounds, I tried it for myself, and its pretty tight to cock open. I don’t remember any break open shotgun I ever used before being that stiff. It’s possible the springs will weaken over time, but it will never get used in its current state, unless some kind of mod can be done.
    Is it possible to modify the spring to reduce the pressure, without compromising the firing pins striking the primers with enough force? I’ve never dabble with the innards of a break open, and want to get an idea before I go delving inside.
    If a modification can’t be done I’ll move it on and replace it with something else.

Try it with out any shells in it if it is still the same check to make sure there aren't any burs or tool marks on the locking mechanism or under the lever. Might need a good bit of use and a clean to free up
    Micky Duck likes this.

If it's anything like the Kahn a neighbor brought it's not just springs but the fit of the barrels to the receiver. Even when cocked it was still stiff but it eased up after a few hundred openings and closings.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I used a dab of lapping compound and worked the barrel/action fit for 15min and it opens very smoothly, but only if the firing pins have not been released. Once it’s been fired though, you can feel the spring pressure working when it’s opened.
    I doubt it will ever see a hundred more openings and closings if it’s new owner can’t get it open by herself. I have a feeling this will sadly be on the buy/sell once she gives up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    I used a dab of lapping compound and worked the barrel/action fit for 15min and it opens very smoothly, but only if the firing pins have not been released. Once it’s been fired though, you can feel the spring pressure working when it’s opened.
    I doubt it will ever see a hundred more openings and closings if it’s new owner can’t get it open by herself. I have a feeling this will sadly be on the buy/sell once she gives up on it.
    Probably find the firing pins are set a bit to long and are catching on the back of the shells when opening. Should loosen over time

Leave it cocked and empty that usually weakens springs
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yes. Springs can be annealed, carefully filed down, then re-tempered.
    You could also do it with a waterbath/slow grinder without the fuss of tempering, but greater risk of over-doing it.
    The only Government to trust: .45-70

It’s seems like it’s more work than justified on an inexpensive gun. I will move it on and look at other options. Duck season 2024 is still a ways off to find something more suitable.

What you want is a well used 20ga. Every new gun will be stiff as a bars@#%d until its had a bit of use.
    BRADS likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

So basically it's the firing pin springs that are too strong. Maybe find another set and do some shortening or possibly even have a go at making your own from stainless wire. The worst that happens is it won't go bang

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    So basically it's the firing pin springs that are too strong. Maybe find another set and do some shortening or possibly even have a go at making your own from stainless wire. The worst that happens is it won't go bang
    Yep thats pretty much it. I don't think an inexpensive turkish shotgun warrants a lot of time investment. We will just look around for something else.

left cocked they do soften up
    75/15/10 black powder matters