Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Heating Gunsmithing workshop

I’ve had a pipe black heater 2# 2” pipes x 3 metre long, like we had in changing rooms on the 70s, just scraped it,
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

@akaroa1 Mate can you keep us updated on what & why you go with ,l am just at the start of designing/ building a new Man Cave/work shop on the farm ,away from the homestead & l am looking at the same issues.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by bunji View Post
    @akaroa1 Mate can you keep us updated on what & why you go with ,l am just at the start of designing/ building a new Man Cave/work shop on the farm ,away from the homestead & l am looking at the same issues.
    Well @bunji my thoughts at the moment are a self contained heat pump and install the vents through the timber wall
    Or the infrared heaters
    I don't want any gas or diesel involved because of the potential ignition etc

The heat pump might be good because the heat will hold for a while if I insulate properly
    And I do have a bit of insulation left over from some jobs and SIPs panels which have 150mm of poly in them
    The other up side of a heat pump is that it can be an air con unit when its got in the summer
    But that's less of an issue

The down side I can see with infrared is that it will only feel warm ( when its cold ) when its turned on

But more thought and enquiry needed on all options

a well insulated room that is dry and IS warm...could a simple oil fin heater KEEP it warm?? you run your dehumidifier and the moisture issues will be gone,heating is so much easier when dry.

Can you put in underfloor heating? Thats what the machineshops/workshops here have.
    Failing that I would go for a heat pump.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

@Von Gruff Knives has a great little heated work shop so maybe drop him a line
    Von Gruff Knives likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    @Von Gruff Knives has a great little heated work shop so maybe drop him a line
    https://orchardtech.co.nz/products/frost-pot-heater
    A very safe and efficient heater. My shed is 75 sq mtrs and I start it with a half cup of meths, the top cover 1/2 on and the bottom damper fully open. It takes very little time till it is going well (less than 30 secs) then the bottom damper goes to a single hole then a minute later to fully closed and the top plate to 3/4 closed. My shed is warm very quickly. All my waste oils go in with the diesel as well. The one down side is that there is some smoke when closing them down (ie fully closing the top plate) but they are cheap to buy and run on the level needed for sheds rather than the outdoors where they need to run much hotter. In the winter I leave mine on all day.