Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Modifing the Howa Mini plastic stock on my 6.5G

northdude
    For who

Uummm sorry if I've hijacked your thread @GWH... wasn't my intention.
    I have all the same arguments rolling around in my head that all you fine knowledgeable gentleman have been putting forward. Those of you who have seen my other threads/posts know I like my big bore rifles. My current bush gun is the 45/70 sbl and if I know I'm shooting further l use my Hardy 338. I am a big fan of bang flop when hunting , especially in bush. But the 45 gets heavy lumping it around for days on end and is loud , the 338 is to long for pushing thru bush and its overkill. I really like the idea of the kiwi made howa mini chassis so have been thinking about one of those but I do have reservations about the calibre... Doesn't come across as a bang flop sized cartridge, especially as I went to local today and handled a round for the first time.
    Geez she's a little one eh.... not quite what I had pictured in my mind. So now I am not sure again... I want to be confident of clean kills on reds and I didn't find that round very confidence inspiring after handling it to be honest.
    born to hunt - forced to work

northdude
    whats your definition of short to med range

Up close and personal in the bush obviously but as mentioned possibly scrub between me and the prey... hence why 45/70... out to maybe 200 or so. Pretty tight bush in the areas in doc we go to. Most of our goat shooting would be no more than 50 which is obviously no issue but it's deer or even pigs that I want quick kills for , why I like the big boys calibres . That said I dropped a very large pig on the spot with my evil 223 at 80 mtr but also heart shot a littler one at 30 and it ran off and we never found it... and I didn't like that. But I wouldn't have shot a red with that rifle.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Don’t do it.

Some might want to bash me over the head with a skillet but I think you would be making a big mistake with a big-money build mate. My reasoning is that the 6.5 Grendel is a neat little cartridge that has some good bullets available to it from the bonded through to the soft match type. But you cannot get away from the fact that it lacks ooommppfff.

These short Grendel barrels generate about the same muzzle velocity as what a 6mm Creedmoor generates as an impact velocity at 300m. You should run the numbers and have a really close look at the comparison with several different cartridge options before you commit to spending the big bucks on a rifle for which you would never, ever see a resale value close to what you spend on it.

My view is that the Grendel is a useful cartridge in cheap rifles for shortish range goats and small deer, but for a close range bush rifle where big animals are skittish and you may well have scrub etc in the way, then I would want something a lot more grunty. Likewise for the longer shots in the 300 meter range, you only need to be a couple of inches off with a slow cartridge like the Grendel and you are going to lose animals, and that is going to risk you falling out of love with it real quick.

At the end of the day the Grendel is just a modern cartridge with similar power to a 30-30 shooting a 150gr. Perfectly adequate close up in good conditions but not really a great all-rounder especially when the longer shots are tempting you to stretch it out a bit.
    Yep I fully agree with all of that. The 6.5G is fine for what it is, but there's no way I would go the whole hog and spend good money building a custom rifle chambered for 6.5G. It works fine and all, but it's marginal really, it really only has a bit more grunt than heavy bullets in a 223.

If you are starting from scratch I wouldn't limit myself by going with the 6.5G. It was designed to fit in AR's after all and give them more power than a 223 but in the same platform and ammo length.

northdude
    I got mine to replace 243. The 243 probably has more power and range is a tack driver and is nicer that the plastic howa but for some reason I like the grendel more. It might be an old age thing but I find I tent to buy what I like more than what everyone else has. Cant see the grendel being a handicap at the ranges I shoot at. Be hard to see the 243 go but it's more what I like these days.
    kiwi-adam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Up close and personal in the bush obviously but as mentioned possibly scrub between me and the prey... hence why 45/70... out to maybe 200 or so. Pretty tight bush in the areas in doc we go to. Most of our goat shooting would be no more than 50 which is obviously no issue but it's deer or even pigs that I want quick kills for , why I like the big boys calibres . That said I dropped a very large pig on the spot with my evil 223 at 80 mtr but also heart shot a littler one at 30 and it ran off and we never found it... and I didn't like that. But I wouldn't have shot a red with that rifle.
    See if you can have a crack on a grendel. They are a great we gun. Remember they have a bullet that is over twice the weight of most 223 bullets and with the higher bc retain 1000ft lb to almost 400 yards. I love shooting mine. I think the other point is the tiny rifle and action you can get them in. That is where I see the big advantage over downloading a 260 or creedmore. Haven't shot my 08 or my 223 since getting the 6.5g

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    They make a howa mini in 450 bushmaster mate
    northdude likes this.

Correct but it doesn't really have the ballistics I was after...more a up close round..,may as well stick with 45/70 than spend money on a smaller version. I could just spend the cash modifying that for a can instead but again not quite what I want to achieve

northdude
    I'm my opinion custom built rifles aren't really built around resale value either generally they are a personalised version of a similar factory rifle or in my case built for a caliber that isnt a factory option I've poured money into rifles that I'll never get the money back on but it's my money and that's how I want to spend it. It's a bit like people that we do work for they bring a vehicle in for modifications etc and you think to your self wtf would you want to do that for but it comes down to their money and they can spend it however they want.
    GWH and Varmit Hunter like this.

Well put @northdude. Sums it up exactly. I like to personalize things and have stuff that's slightly unique and stands out from the crowd - for better or worse some would say depending on taste. Hence my leather stuff , and the mods to the sbl , and not 1 of my bikes has ever been factory. I like to play with things....
    But I also want to know it will do the job required and fit my intended design brief.
    I think the rifle l had hoped to build would certainly fulfill the physical requirements I would like , small, light,short and quiet...and cool looking in a kinda starwars way.
    But the available calibre's for the mini which fit's that particular chassis I am not convinced will do the job the way I would like it done. I know shot placement, blah blah but that isn't always a luxury available in the bush where snap shots are sometimes required or shooting through the scenery. And always having big bores I think has me perhaps unnessarily worried about such a small cartridge doing the job efficiently

northdude
    If its Bush work how does the x39 stack up

To be honest mate I have never used that caliber either but the missus has the mini in that. That said she only shoots goat's with it... assuming she doesn't claim that they are to cute that is. And I am always there with the 45 for the larger stuff but I am very aware of the noise now the rest of the family are with me and I am not that confident on longer shots with the 45 as that is not scoped to keep the weight down.
    I am thinking perhaps I should just go the somewhat boring traditional rifle 308 bushpig style and be happy with that....with a 3x9 scope for longer shots. I would love another Hardy carbon like the 338 but the missus would slaughter me spending that much money. I know what I had planned to build would probably have been close to that when finished but could have done it in small increments and she probably wouldn't have noticed the total cost of the build and I could get away with it. But she knows what the Hardy are worth...
    I would have snapped up the Hardy 7mm saum on here the other day and been a happy man but no one carries factory ammo and I don't reload.
    Last edited by Ftx325; 10-10-2020 at 08:56 AM.

For those who haven't seen it this is the chassis I keep waffling about...

Name:  119670845_1476669079198839_777655710555952593_n.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  119683020_673607493507839_8387703472310013059_n.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  109.5 KB

That I think is very cool....

It does look interesting but there appear to be a lot of sticky out bits to get tangled in scrub at every opportunity though.
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.