Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree82Likes

Thread: Omark improvements

How did you come second in ladys?

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    ebf likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Karori is the organising club, the compo is the NZ 1000yds National Champs, and I shoot for Trentham club.

A Karori member won F-O and another Karori member was second in FTR
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    VC, I just shaved my legs and put on a bit of lippy

Annual compo organised by NZ Ladies Rifle group/team. Followed by 1000 yds champs on the Sun. Good fun to shoot it, gives us a chance to practise longs for Nationals in Jan, and they organise lots of spot prizes. 2nd place yesterday got me a nice home made Xmas fruit cake
    veitnamcam and kiwi39 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post

That is one scary mental picture!

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    steven likes this.

Sorry but your your dog is still better looking....
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Thanks ebf, the penny didn't drop and I didn't connect your online presence with you face to face.

Thanks to everyone who helped my son over the weekend. He really learnt a lot and will be back for the nationals.
    I was very impressed and grateful for the very friendly advice that everyone offered my son at his first (and not last) visit to Trentham.

He (son) was first in FTR at 800 yards on Saturday with a 57.2, which was pretty good for his first ever round of shooting at Trentham.
    Possibly his best ever score at 800 and in his top few scores.

His first (ever) shot at 1000 yards with a standard Savage Model 12 .223 was an impressive 'X' which surprised and pleased everyone.
    We think we are at the safe maximum load for the rifle of 24.7g 2208 with a 80g AMAX projectile.

His first shooting in the rain at 1000 yards was (a 7 shot detail) 6,6,6,2,2,5,5 showing a good start and finish which earnt him his 3rd place.

ebf
    No worries, great to see a young guy with obvious talent - god knows we need to encourage every single kid that show interest to shoot NRA coz the sport is dying a slow death...

We should try get D behind a 308 with a suppressor on one of the slow days during Nationals, just to see if he finds that ok, couple of folks in Karori club have good setups, so will be easy to arrange.
    steven and Cyclops like this.

The trend for the F open class seems to be a smaller diameter, currently 6 or 6.5mm seems to be what is winning. I indeed wonder on whether 5.56mm 80gr (or more) might make a show in the future. Not sure what the rules are on FTR and 556/223, must look them up, might surprise a few people with "conventional" views banging away with 308s.

No worries, great to see a young guy with obvious talent - god knows we need to encourage every single kid that show interest to shoot NRA coz the sport is dying a slow death...

We should try get D behind a 308 with a suppressor on one of the slow days during Nationals, just to see if he finds that ok, couple of folks in Karori club have good setups, so will be easy to arrange.
    Sounds like a plan - feel free to organise the rifle and I'll supply the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    The trend for the F open class seems to be a smaller diameter, currently 6 or 6.5mm seems to be what is winning. I indeed wonder on whether 5.56mm 80gr (or more) might make a show in the future. Not sure what the rules are on FTR and 556/223, must look them up, might surprise a few people with "conventional" views banging away with 308s.
    F/TR is either .233 or .308 calibres.
    My son first tried a .308 but he could be seen flinching before pulling the trigger.
    He was immediately more comfortable using a club .233 then a loaned .223 before we bought a .223 for him use. I thought he'd be better off learning good habits with the .223 than bad habits with a .308 - and the right .223 can be competitive out to 1000 yards.

Some clubs don't mention the option .223/5.62 on their websites or FB pages which might discourage some potential shooters.
    steven likes this.

would, but my throat will only last so long

The cure for flinch is dry firing IMHO. So I dry fire my 303 in the dining room a few times a week, cured the flinch I didnt know I had developed until I dry fired the 303 in the dining room. Get him to do that ever night for 2 weeks, 12 or 24 rounds max.

556Nato often isnt mentioned as it isnt a "man" round, or other such stupidity. I dont disagree with a 223/556nato to 1000yds, it only popping paper after all. Bear in in mind however the electronic sensors only work at supersonic. Not sure of a 556 can still be so at 1000yds, not that I have looked yet I'll admit, a job for the future, 90gr projectiles maybe.....

ebf
    Steve, one of the Trentham (ex UH) guys has a 223 and uses 90gr moly coated, goes well up to about 600yds, but gets blown out when the wind is pumping. KW also has a 223 that gets used for juniors at LTTS sessions.

This weekend we did not have high winds, most I ever used was 4.5 or 5 minutes at 1000, it was all fishtailing downrange.

The margin of error with a 308, even using 155gr projectiles is just a lot less, so it will be interesting to see how cyclops jnr's 223 does when we hit 10+ minutes of wind at some stage during nationals. Personally, I think that between a decent buttpad (Limbsaver) and a suppressor, you can kill just about all the recoil in a 308, and it is still legal for FTR. The can might give you some carbon fouling issues, but there are enough anal folks in NRA style that clean between ranges, so nothing new

I would have thought 223 would be similar ? similar case size vs bore size,like the same powders.
    Is there just not the good bc bullets available or it cant push them fast enough?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    I would have thought 223 would be similar ? similar case size vs bore size,like the same powders.
    Is there just not the good bc bullets available or it cant push them fast enough?
    From our comparisons with electronic target data (velocities at target) a 308 is 100-200 fps faster at the target than our 223 at all distances (if I recall correctly). But the data is only valid for comparisons on the same target on the same day.

I - now - think our 223 with our maximum safe load will still be supersonic at 1000 yards.

While we haven't shot in windy Trentham conditions we have shot at very, very windy Ashburton conditions (even the experienced shooters agreed the windiest in a long time) but not at 1000 yards. My son was competitive even in the strongest wind.
    We'll just have to wait to see what happens at the nationals.
    steven likes this.

ebf
    Interesting point VC, Amax 80gr is G7 0.231 compared to Scenar or HBC Dyer at 0.236

My head says you could well be correct, but my heart kinda goes "not so sure"

25% saving on projectile cost and half the powder, going to be interesting to see how this pans out...
    steven likes this.