Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Are Parker Hale's good for anything these days?

bumping thread

what sort of cheap plastic or laminate stocks are people using on the old M 98 mauser parker hale conversions

Total rubbish mate ! I'll give you $20 for it.. actually, I'm with Muzza, great rifles, my two favourite rifles are my Tikka m55, and my PH1200-custom (over my Brno..and my Sako ) . M98 stocks should fit with a small amount of fine-tuning (dremel). Every manufacturer has the odd crap-one, even Sako. Parker-Hales had great barrels, and they always sourced strong actions, sort-of the 'Howa', of the old-days.
    nor-west and Russian 22. like this.

My safari is good for shooting things.
    Kiwi Sapper, Sideshow and rewa like this.

My old PH safari with the buggered barrel better shoot ok once I get the 270 FN barrel fitted lol

Picked up a PH safari 30-06 couple of years ago in mint condition, shoots well and I am just refining the loads for it. It is an early model one with the cut out military action with the swing over safety. I put on an after market low swing safety which now allows a scope to be fitted with medium height rings, also fitted a limbsaver and it is very comfortable to shoot. I'll dig a photo out later. I am very pleased with it and been a 30-06 they don't seem to have shot out barrels from lots of range use funnily enough :-)
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.

My P-H 1200, .270, is a pleasure to use (yes ,even in 'the-dreaded' caliber), has a nice crisp trigger, Italian-walnut stock with palm-swell and a Stirling-Special barrel. Action is Serbian. Some rifles just 'Fit'.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I read recently that the long magazined PH Mauser action is the ideal length and feeding set up for a 284win with 160grn class projectiles seated out. That would be a good conversion for one (if it is correct).
    Russian 22. likes this.

Banned
    One feature that no one has mentioned is that the 98 actions being 'positive feed are much quieter when chambering a round than push feed actions. If the fingers of the left hand ( right handed person) are curled around under the gun so that they touch the round being chambered, loading is silent. PH Safari rifles are great hunting machines
    SixtyTen and rewa like this.

The old man had a PH in 222, sold it and bought a Sako as he couldn’t see the point of such a large action just for a 222 size case.

And the PH safety fell out twice.

Have lots of Parker Hale bits here such as a receiver, bolt release assemblies, adjustable trigger etc.
    csmiffy likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Ummm where could I get the bottom metal and mag? Got a very accurate xt1200 in the safe......
    I have Mauser bottom metal (which of course includes the mag) which I got for a project that never went ahead. It has a hinged floorplate with the release button inside the trigger guard. I don't know the brand. It is made of aluminium, unfinished, so it would need to be anodized or Cerakoted or whatever. Has some very light marks on it, but it should be possible to polish them out.

My action is the mauser type pre santa Barbara action. Still has the guides (sort of) for the stripper clip but no thumb cut out.
    The little button that you would press with a FMJ projectile to drop has a spring stronger than a possum trap. @redrover i'll pm you just in case Walker dips out @garyp might have to have a chat about triggers and safeties. I would far prefer to put a late model trigger with safety on it then dick around with aftermarket safety and have a standard trigger
    Mind you at over 230 bucks if they are available that starts to hurt the pocket

While we're on parker hales can I heat this foresight gently to get off without harming the inside f the barrel?

@Brian yup. Just make sure there is no screws into the barrel. keep some weight on it with some pliers as you heat it. Wipe the solder off the barrel while its still hot.

Hang on there Brian, my 1968 P/H.308 standed the fore sight is in a dove tail and slides off, there's a screw and two locating pins in the base of the ramp, yours could be different.