Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Pot Belly Stove refurb

Yeah , the damper is broken , but see they still make them , has a small hole under the flue area , I think it was a hole for temp probe ? , will just use a large washer either side & sealent to seal up the hole .

Its a Masport " Pittsburg " model , has a wet back , just going to leave that unconnected ? , does not appear to have any cracks so far .

Let year we could still get most of the Masport pot belly parts from Glen Dimplex in Auckland just remove the wetback and put a big heavy washer each side with Holts product in the middle.
    Any Masport agent should be able to get them if you are in NP 4 seasons will be able to.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    P38 likes this.

I worked for Masport Foundry (Now Precision Foundry ) for ten years as Senior technician and was involved with every stage of making these. They were originally shot blasted as opposed to sand blasted which will give a different surface finish. You are onto it with the washers however use stainless, as they will be much slower to burn out. With one each side and bolt them together with a stainless bolt, a little exhaust cement will not hurt either. Remove the wetback as it is made of copper and without water running through it will melt the first time you light it.
    When you get a new damper for it get the hole welded up to about half it's original size, makes them a lot easier to shut down. Make sure you use a stainless rod for this job, but its not for the reasons given above.

Used to sell them when I managed Fletcher Timber in Carterton many years ago. Was broken into one night and all the took was a Pittsburgh, C/W flue kit, check the serial # it might be the one
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Maybe an inside job you think?

Thanks Guys ,

The huts already built & will be moved into final position in a week or so , piles are getting concreted this week , need to get the damper ordered .

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Pete you bloody hold out. We need a truck load of that bread and stew at the Toby shoot.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Hi Chris ,i think i have the same pot belly as you have pictured, i am after a damper for it and a grate ,if you know of someone that has any parts

Hi i have one of these , and would love to know if you know anyone that can supply a damper to fit that pot belly.

These are not made anymore and getting hard to find. The link given is over the ditch but would still be worth it. If not just make one up out of some 6 to 10mm plate.

https://www.downsheating.com.au/damp...port-pot-belly

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    You signed up to revive a four year old thread, to ask for spares?

That's commitment right there.
    I would suggest the damper can be fabricated, and the grate cut down from something else (bbq)

Of course, if you have a friendly local foundryman, who can run at CI temps, the world is your oyster.

Also, to the OP of the thread, Forget a wire wheel, A steam cleaner would be great, or I would use electrolysis (save sand getting in the pores and subsequent cleaning. Never mind painting CI, you "season" it.
    Run it up to warm temp (not hot) and rub oil into it. Let it go stone cold. Repeat 3-5 times getting a bit hotter each time or until it doesn"t suck any more oil, Then run it hot and hard, and give it one final rub on the cool down. You wont need to even look at it again.
    Not many of those around now. Need for thin wall castings 1350 to 1500 C and a lot different refractory than the average non-ferrous foundry runs.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen ireland View Post
    Hi i have one of these , and would love to know if you know anyone that can supply a damper to fit that pot belly.
    I would make a wooden one and take it into a local foundry that casts cast iron there is cast components in P North same with a grate make a wooden pattern and they will be able to cast one off it, don't worry about the slots in the grate pattern, most moulders can make them, loose pieces and slip them into the mould to form the slots.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    Micky Duck likes this.

grate....plenty of heavy wire mesh around...its used in stock truck floors..... not sure if I would be game to cook on it first fireing if was using used stuff...but it would be well sterilized by 2nd time....

Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Weird world , I have the same stove and as I wanted it in my cave I rings the local dist council re permits and they basically said they couldnt care less and who knows how long its been there, and no it didnt need a permit . Fired with success I runs the whole plot past my insurance co (ami) and their take was that if the sdc dont want a permit ( they confirmed this for themselves ) then they didnt either . Suspicious I asks " so what happens if the stove sets fire to the cave and all my tools , my motorbikes and my classic car ......and the shed all go up"? . The answer was ,no worries we will accept a claim for all but we wouldnt replace the stove . Soooo beats me , same council doesn't req permit to replace the floor , walls and roof of all my out buildings as long as its within the original footprint and made of like materials.
    Holly shit your council is very slack i guess you must be on a property over 2H. Cause if you are under that you are governed by the clean air act from September O5 which means any fire that is not ecan approved and produces under 1.5grs of emission per kg of fuel can not be installed.
    You are a luck man.

Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25 /08 IMP View Post
    Holly shit your council is very slack i guess you must be on a property over 2H. Cause if you are under that you are governed by the clean air act from September O5 which means any fire that is not ecan approved and produces under 1.5grs of emission per kg of fuel can not be installed.
    You are a luck man.

It appears hamsav doesn't need a building permit therefore it isn't a case of the district council being slack.
    If hamsav is on a rural property > 2 hectares he doesn't need a clean burning fire so there's no issue there.

Generally people complain about councils being too officious, not when they're permissive.
    rewa likes this.