Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree170Likes

Thread: Quality "everlasting" .410 shells

Quote Originally Posted by Peteforskeet View Post
    Is there any sense in cramming a light 12g load into a 410 case?
    It can't pattern as well as a 20g or 12g 1oz load the shot column must be 50mm or more long?
    Let alone firing it a small light gun,
    hmmmm...well lets see.it you have a long shot string,and you aim too far infront,you will still kill bird...for a rabbit/hare or possum it matters not a hoot. in fact its only on a true passing bird it makes much difference. it matters not a hoot if pellets arrive at target 1/4 second apart if they still hitting.
    folks sing praises of 28ga and curse the .410.both fireing same payload at same speed.... its all about patterning,and thats done on a flat board so stringing doesnt come into it.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I figured i might add a bit to this thread, fun wee round to play with and something different for me.

cheers for putting this thread up to start with @Wingman it was a good excuse to get a sxs for the wife(mostly me now) to use.

Had some of this gear for a while so finally got some loads assembled. Made up a die to flare the mouth and the body but felt like the body die was over working the brass so just loaded some with both. the neck die expanding enough to get normal wads in, hoping to expand the brass better to the chamber upon firing, didn't really work so will re configure the die to expand the body better to reduce pressure and give more case capacity. But still got some good results with the neck expanded brass. I'll show a couple of pics of patterns at 30 yds and 1x at 20yds. The 30yds are full and half choke (III) 20yds half choke. Will re pattern once I have more brass tidied up, as the velocity dropped about 100fps ranged from 1070 fps down to 970fps with the near full expanded brass, I could have just fireformed the lot but with primers being a bit tricky I didn't want to use up many components. Name:  20230119_174558.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  2.59 MBName:  20230119_174547.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  2.53 MBName:  20230119_174533.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  2.51 MB
    rugerman, 300CALMAN and Micky Duck like this.

Another couple of pics showing the load, 2x cardboard over the powder compacted with a dowel, was nice tight fit, then 1/3rd of an ear plug to cusion the wad, this seems to have worked as there is no burning on the rear of wad in next pic. Wad then shot then another cardboard disk ( I used jeds coffee) then hot glue gun, which didn't seal too well after a week or so. Then decided to super glue the hot glue in (once dry obviously)Name:  20230119_182046.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  1.83 MB

Next pic 3x shells, left hand side has been formed wider with the die and 1x fired. Middle half formed with the neck die, unfired. Right formed with neck die and fired 1x. The wood if is sitting on was at the bottom of cardboard box which was used for patterns to stop it blowing away) its an offcut of rims and has penrtrated 3-5mm. The recovered wads are darkened inside and out not sure if this is normal? Name:  20230119_182055.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  1.81 MB
    rugerman likes this.

looking good... now play with some different shot sizes. it makes a HUGE difference to this wee cartridge.it will love one size and hate the next with no rhyme nor apparent reason for it.

now I would be sorely tempted to load that hotter and heavier..just because you can,the higher pressure will be captured by the brass case.
    the blackening is normal on wads.... mix in/mix up different shot sizes together and surprise yourself at how well they kill. I do wonder if the earplug is doing a diservice??? by not allowing wad to expand..... probably not,but by same token no reason to not push payload deeper into case and stick it on top then glue in your top card.....perhaps worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    now I would be sorely tempted to load that hotter and heavier..just because you can,the higher pressure will be captured by the brass case.
    the blackening is normal on wads.... mix in/mix up different shot sizes together and surprise yourself at how well they kill. I do wonder if the earplug is doing a diservice??? by not allowing wad to expand..... probably not,but by same token no reason to not push payload deeper into case and stick it on top then glue in your top card.....perhaps worth a try.
    Cheers for the advice. i Don't think the wad needs any cushioning as the base was clean and its just taking up more space. Bit funny reloading for this stuff as your not so much looking for pressure signs as you would in a rifle. once i have the brass in a better state (straighter) i will delve into some more loads but its looking promising so far, also have 3x other chokes to play with so should be interesting to see the difference. A old workmate recently asked me if i was after some shotgun reloading gear as he has inherited some which he isn't interested in using so might be a good time to play with some other sized shot. i haven't patterned any factory loads yet so that will also be a good comparison, ill make it happen just not sure how soon but ill keep the updates going. what do you think of the patterns? looks to me like it would be dead ducks, the 30yd Mid choke i shot high. obviously the string isn't as good as larger bores.
    cheers

patterns are fine..I PREFER full chokes in the wee gun..and find load that suits it best. strangely enough all mine have not likes #6s as much as #4s ,#7 not much better,smaller again is great....
    good stout load of #BBs is useful too.... but a mixture is really great and sure kills stuff dead.the wee gun with full choke is awesome for head snotting wounded ducks.... far more pleasant and effective than .12ga and steel #2 or #4

the bit to get head around...30 yards is a long shot for the .410 15-20 is ideal...possums up trees are just too easy as are bunnies in gorse pockets.

the bit to get head around...30 yards is a long shot for the .410 15-20 is ideal...possums up trees are just too easy as are bunnies in gorse pockets.
    Haha yeah not trying to be a hero with a 30 yd+ shot. was just keen to see how it's all going and check velocity etc. Wouldn't mind taking it out for a rabbit/hare shoot. And like I say it's still early days and still a bit of work to do yet.

if you want some smaller shot just let me know..actually if you need lead shot full stop,let me know....I will see you sorted,you looked after me with wooden plank,so no worries to return favour.

if you want some smaller shot just let me know..actually if you need lead shot full stop,let me know....I will see you sorted,you looked after me with wooden plank,so no worries to return favour.
    Well i know this was not directed at me but...
    Got any #11 shot????
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

#9 is as small as Ive got..and postage would be crippling.
    not even sure where you would buy #11 shot size.

Much appreciated, i think i will have some more sorted via a friend but i will give you a bell if im struggling to find anything. I've got enough for a few more stocks if you feel the need for a new project.

Cheers
    Micky Duck likes this.

@Wingman any plans for the .410 next season? Are you going to try and work up some steel or unicorn poop (tungsten) loads?

Quote Originally Posted by rusl View Post
    @Wingman any plans for the .410 next season? Are you going to try and work up some steel or unicorn poop (tungsten) loads?
    Nah strictly lead for me.
    Had the barrels running hot opening weekend, the 3/4 and 1oz loads have been killing well.

I also picked up a new .410 for evening strolls with the boy. It's a Turkish modern take on a 120 year old poachers gun design. 3" chambers and removable choke set but twin triggers and exposed hammers with a nice side latch.
    I wasnt a fan of the stock design and it didnt close completely up on itself so I reshaped the stock to the petite english straight grip profile of the origional poachers gun and moved the fore end mount to clear the trigger gaurd and fold completely.

Name:  20230318_151651.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  3.26 MB

Name:  20230407_163926.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  8.05 MB

Name:  20230407_164011.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  6.74 MB

Some pics of it along side an unmodified one:

Name:  20230411_091737.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  4.67 MB

Name:  20230411_091839.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  4.33 MB
    Micky Duck, RV1 and NAKED_GOOSE like this.