Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Sako finbear what's it worth and is it worth salvaging ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Yup fair to say I'm pretty happy with it, it is a little heavier than some of the new lightweight rifles but it's not stupidly heavey I would say similar weight to a howa or weatherby, but it's an absolute pussycat to shoot dunno if it's the extra weight or the shape of the stock but its much lighter on the recoil than my A7 was.
    It also seems quieter must be a longer barrel (I haven't measured it ).
    No complaints about the action it's very slick and feeds well, and I can see what you mean about the bar keeping the shit out that's an added bonus.
    I need to suss a recoil pad out as the one on it is pretty perished and getting passed it, there seems to be only one place in the states that sells replica ones and they ain't cheap @ around NZ$200 and they won't ship to NZ but I think it would be wrong to put an aftermarket limbsaver on it. I have a mate going over for a trip later this year so he is going to pick one up for me.
    In the mean time once the roar is done I will concentrate on getting it pillar bedded, crowning the muzzle, sorting the free float out and maybe tidy up the stock asthetically (the jury is out on tidying the stock up I kinda like it's character).
    I would love to get the blueing restored though, so that may happen before I ever think about the stock
    See how she looks re-blued with the old stock before trying to do up the timber. That stock is as close as you will get to her being able to talk. A deep clean and re-oil may bring out the grain without losing the character. I'm assuming the timber is oiled?

The Sako stock shape/design is vastly superior to the American style stock both in recoil handling and fit. American style stocks are ideally suited to open sights......

Note how much less familiarity you need with the rifle to feel comfortable with it. Benchrest has infested the shooting world with dry mathematical thinking. Worth noting that most of the good shooting carried out with open sights etc is mathematically impossible. If you were to calculate the spacing of human eyes and the angles involved, it can't be done, yet our brain does it. This is why building a superb hunting rifle, rather than just a shooting rifle is a dark art. Our brains are built to throw objects to retrieve dinner. Rifles built by real craftsmen make much more use of this fact than ones that are built around marketing campaigns.

What I am trying to say is that there is more involved in a superb rifle than generally gets discussed. Pity we can't pick the brains of a Sako gunsmith from 50 years ago.