Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Strange questions for builders / gunsmiths

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Just not the 1000+ bit very well
    7/375 light as bush gun and 1000+
    Does 1000y or meters very well, on paper or steel.
    Wind pushes them round a lot so by the time youv shot 5000+ rounds to wear one out you will be an expert judge of wind
    BRADS likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    To me it's at least 2 rifles and 2 different scopes.

Bush/medium must be something you are willing to bash around, with realistic low end magnification, no use lugging a 6-24 around the bush ?

Loooooong range can be heavy bastard, with serious glass.

VC, I'd be happy with 308 for bush/medium, but if you want to stretch it over 1k, and potentially knock over something at those ranges ?
    Im not advocating shooting living things at a km with a 308 win EBF.
    Even with the most frangible projectiles retained velocity and energy is getting pretty marginal at 700y.
    In GOOD conditions I would take a high percentage shot on a animal at 600.
    As I said above cheap accurate 1000m cartridge, wind pushes it round big time compared to the 7mm mags etc but that means you get lots of cheap practice (on targets)
    ebf and steven like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    interesting responses, tx guys
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

30-06 p14 hunting rifle | Trade Me

If i had any more space in my safe i would buy this, could be a good allrounder, 220gr for bush and some 168s for long range!
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Not a bad rifle that. Buy it anyway spud im sure you could turn it up side down and fit it in like top and tail
    VIVA LA HOWA

ebf
    Two more strange questions.

Does anyone know if the Savage magazines for the 16/Weather Warrior short actions are all the same external dimensions, and just use an internal spacer for different calibers similar to the Tikka T3 lineup ? I.e. Use a 223 mag in a 308 short action once the bolt face has been changed to the correct size ?

Also, what is the difference in TF barrels between the Ultramatch range and the Premium range. Is the metal the same, just more quality control one one, or actual physical differences ?

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    Having a different gun for every occasion is all well and good , but you would need something like a golf trundler to cart them all round , I mean there is no point in having a short distance ( 7.62x39 ?)rifle unless you have it with you when its needed....you wouldn't want to bastardise yourself by using your 400yard rifle ( 308 ?) to shoot something to close . If you are a reloader you will be aware of the ability to tailor a load for a specific purpose , and being human you will also be aware of our ( most of us ) ability to learn. Why not buy one rifle....a middle sized one ( I am told that most shooting is over shorter average ranges than most peeps would believe) and with a bit of practice you could become very proficient with just the one gun. I would pick a calibre that you can get anything from varmint bullets , target bullets and big game bullets. One gun , one scope , one set of die's ...... and maybe some loot left over for the Mrs ( mine looses the ability to count .... especially guns and motorbikes , when presented with jewellery )
    Way back when .... before guns became man jewellery and bar room ( bullshit ) hunting hadn't been invented shitloads of things were shot with the ole 303 which , I think , shows that ..... well , if you cant hit a deer at 200y with a 303 your not going to hit it with a 300win mag Blaiser/ swarofski mega buck whatever.
    I bought a rem sps700 7mm08/ Bushnell 3-9x40... 1100 bucks all up and every time I miss its been my fault .
    Having said ALL that .... have you considered getting your one Baikal in a big 30 calibre and getting a chamber adaptor made so you can shoot x39s in it too......cheaper than extra barrels
    Hamish
    I like the way you think mate.
    I have all those bases covered with a 30 second change of barrel or scope.

I can shoot bush, medium range animals or LR steel and targets with a simple change of scope only. Same load for all.
    If I want to fringe hunt or LR varmint shoot I just change to my .223 barrel and scope.
    All on one platform that I am very familiar with. Easy peasy😆

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Two more strange questions.

Does anyone know if the Savage magazines for the 16/Weather Warrior short actions are all the same external dimensions, and just use an internal spacer for different calibers similar to the Tikka T3 lineup ? I.e. Use a 223 mag in a 308 short action once the bolt face has been changed to the correct size ?

Also, what is the difference in TF barrels between the Ultramatch range and the Premium range. Is the metal the same, just more quality control one one, or actual physical differences ?
    @ebf

There are different mags for the 08 and 06 family of case. All in the same family share the same mag. There is no spacer.
    Photos show loaded 243 round in the 243 mag and an empty 270 case in the same mag. Neck of the 270 case roughly lines up with the end of the copper on the 243 projectile.

Name:  DSC_0799a.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  64.3 KB
    Name:  DSC_0798a.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  75.0 KB
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

My Savage 223 has a plastic spacer in the mag, so I presume its externally the same as a 308 one. One of very few pieces of plastic on the rifle. Its a Mod 14, but the same action as a 16 just blued rather than stainless.

As said the long actions are longer, its not like a Tikka where even a 223 is an -06 length action.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 13-08-2014 at 02:06 PM.

ebf
    Thanks guys.

GM, it will be short action and short action, just not necessarily same "family". So 223 in 308 mag.

Not really looking at putting a short action cartridge into a long action mag.

I don't think an 08 mag will hold 223 rounds.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I don't think an 08 mag will hold 223 rounds.
    Yip, I'm not explaining myself real well...

Just wanted to know if a 223 savage mag has the same external dimensions as a 308 savage mag.

So if you change the bolt face, can you then use the 223 mag and all good ?

Well savage don't make a smaller action so I would say that the 223 and o8 mags will be the same OA length
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Yes, pretty certain they're the same fitment and will work.

Blah blah etc:-
    Just be aware if you're having to buy the magazine, as the axis-type mag (also in the lightweight hunter) is not the same as the standard savage magazine type, and will not be a suitable replacement.

The axis mag is mainly plastic and the release tab is built into the magazine, whereas with the magazine for weather warrior etc, the release tab is built into the bottom metal/magwell instead.

Quote Originally Posted by StrikerNZ View Post
    Yes, pretty certain they're the same fitment and will work.
    +1

I was after a spare mag and a couple of other bits, for an exta $50 I bought an entire second rifle.

You looking at the Savage as a base for the switch barrel ebf? Would be a good candidate with the barrel nut setup. Can easily swap bolt faces too. The Marlins are basically the same setup and judging my overseas forums a lot of parts can be swapped between makes.