Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Walnut Stock Build

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I really like what you are doing. For me the fore-end on the Totara stock is a bit slim and shallow to get a good grip for off-hand shots. Have you ever used a Sako Forester or similar with the flat sides and flat underneath? they sit very well in hand and don't rock over like most American designs. In saying that I very much like the shape.
    Good point. I don't think I've shot with a Sako Forester, but I did use a borrowed Alpine .270 for a few months (English, based on an '98 Mauser action) which had a similar stock to what you describe. This stock for the Anschutz here is about as slender as I'd want to take it, but it helps that I shoot offhand best with my left hand well forward on the stock. I actually have my index finger wrapped around the front face of the Schnabel and that gives me a bit more to hang on to than on a similar fore-end with a rounded tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    Your stock has a built in suppressor, lol
    Haha, latest technology don't you know. I was hoping no-one noticed that before the patent was granted.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and rewa like this.

Thanks for sharing - a stunning piece of walnut there sir. Great skills and some nice gear at your disposal. Keep it coming
    tetawa and PaulNZ like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The EM is supposed to be a copy of the Match 54 action, so should be close. The EM stock is OK, a bit close or short between the pistol grip and trigger, but is a very soft timber - softer than Radiata even
    Pulling up a photo of an EM332 it looks like both action screws might be ahead of the trigger? That could be a problem. I believe that is indeed how the Anschutz Match 54 action is configured, but the sporter 54 action has the rear action screw behind the trigger. You can actually see it in the photo I posted of the tang grinding - the hole right at the back. Here's a few more dimensions from my Anschutz receiver if they're of any use to you anyway:

• Action Screw Spacing: 176.2mm
    • Rear action screw to rear edge of receiver: 9.8mm
    • Front action screw to rear face of recoil lug: 12.0mm
    • Receiver diameter: 29.8mm

All dimensions referencing action screws are to the hole centre. I also know where there's a factory classic stock inlet for the same action (but wing safety, not side safety).

.double post.
    Last edited by Bol Tackshin; 07-04-2020 at 02:24 PM.

That is correct. as far as I have been able to establish, the EM-332 was based on the Match 54 action rather than an identical copy of it. Name:  IMG_20200407_132218.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  551.1 KB

Bol Tackshin: have a look at the thread 'EM332 - Norinco's Finest 22' which suggest that the EM332 is a relative of the Suhl.

Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing the finished product :-)

Thanks @rupert - I stand corrected. It is quite difficult to find any authoritative info about the EM-332 or NS-522 family of rifles but they do shoot well!

Great work and a stunning piece of wood. Will keep a close eye on progress.

What’s happening with the remaining slabs?
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Great work and a stunning piece of wood. Will keep a close eye on progress.

What’s happening with the remaining slabs?
    For the moment, the majority are aging quietly in the shed. We're in no hurry to shift them on or work through them all at the moment. I've got three brothers and a father who are all keen on guns/hunting and woodwork to at least some degree, so I expect there'll be a couple more stocks in due course and a few other projects as well.

Nice. Great to have beautiful timber on hand like that, especially as it’s from your own piece of dirt.

@PaulNZ how is it coming along?

Excellent thread!

Slowly . I did the final duplication down to 1.5mm oversize a few months ago, then it got bumped down the project list a few steps. There's been a woodworking centre to strip and rebuild, and the recoil pad grinding jig, and the lathe outboard turning setup, and the boring bar holder, and the mods to my Ruger 77/22, and working over the single shot .22 for my daughter, and adapting lathe steady rests, and no doubt a few bits and pieces I've forgotten as well. I work more slowly than some of the other guys on this forum anyway.

Back to the Anschutz, I did complete the new bolt handle and trigger blade - I'll see if I can post a picture or 2. Hopefully back to the stock in a few weeks
    Tuidog, Steve123 and caberslash like this.

Here's a picture of the standard bolt knob and trigger blade (not actually my rifle, I just copied it off Google):
    Name:  Standard Anschutz.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  46.8 KB

The replacement trigger blade from 316 stainless (not the best photo):

The replacement bolt knob - still to be blued:

The bolt knob in particular was more fiddly than it looks. The threaded shank under the old plastic knob was actually larger in diameter than the rest of the bolt handle, which would have prevented any kind of nice, seamless fit. I had to start by accurately grinding down and rethreading this section to a smaller diameter. All good fun.

Jeez my local gunsmith doesn’t even want to drill and tap my 44 mag barrel for a front sight,not enough meat left in the barrel he says,,yet you can produce stuff like this!!!
    rewa likes this.