Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Walnut Stock Build

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    I think there would be several ways of achieving your aim, but if your looking for a different idea would it be possible to grind the front blade off and drill and tap the top of the barrel band block for a fiber optic front bead like they put on shotguns? This may not be high enough? Or do you need windage adjustment of the foresight also?
    The sight in the picture is the correct height for a 50m zero ,would like to be able to remove the front sight as it’s really a backup in case the red dot dies or for hunting in the rain hence the drill and tap being the preferred option..

MSL
    We could grind the front blade off the band, then notch out the hi viz ramp to suit and drill and tap the two together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there would be several ways of achieving your aim, but if your looking for a different idea would it be possible to grind the front blade off and drill and tap the top of the barrel band block for a fiber optic front bead like they put on shotguns? This may not be high enough? Or do you need windage adjustment of the foresight also?
    Similar to this but would it be possible cut the blade off from the front sight. Mill a slot then pin a new hi viz blade the right height?

Wondering if I should try and buy a spare front band and try to alter that in one of the ways mentioned here,at least if it goes to shit I still have the original.

Well, after working through a long list of other distractions I've finally made the time to give my stock a bit more attention. Not a whole lot, but at least it's forward progress!

Getting ready for pillar installation:

Pillars in, mag well and trigger guard cuts complete, initial barrel channel cut done and recess cut for fore-end reinforcement:

Reinforcement fitted and epoxied. Under the epoxy are 2x lengths of 6mm thickwall carbon fibre tube and 1x length of 11mm x 2mm carbon fibre strip. Probably unnecessary, but nice to have some insurance against the fore-end ever warping:

It'll probably get put aside for another week or so now, then back on the mill to carry on with the rest of the inletting.

Inletting of barrelled action and bottom metal has gone as far as I'm going to take it on the mill. Time to break out the inletting black and sharpen up the chisels and scrapers for the final fitting...

It's been a long time since I updated this thread, but for those who are still interested I got the first coat of finish on today. Poor photos I'm afraid, but with the finish still wet I wasn't about to move it somewhere more photogenic:

ANTSMAN, JoshC, erniec and 17 others like this.

That looks awesome. Your a skilled man
    PaulNZ likes this.

and a tidy one looking at the pics

Nice work and an excellent piece of wood with an ideal grain through the full length.

Thanks for the kind words. Having come this far, I'm just trying not to screw it up now!

beautiful bit of wood , and very nice work as well , well done

It's been a long time since I updated this thread, but for those who are still interested I got the first coat of finish on today. Poor photos I'm afraid, but with the finish still wet I wasn't about to move it somewhere more photogenic:

Paul.

This has been a fantastic read. You are very talented. I read with interest because I have an Anschutz 1712 22.
    PaulNZ likes this.
    there are only two things guns fear
    rust and politicians

Quote Originally Posted by Taupohunter View Post
    I read with interest because I have an Anschutz 1712 22.
    Nice rifles, aren't they. Is yours a hunting rifle or for targets/silhouette?

Looking great, wish I had the patience for traditional inletting. I tend to just mill out a pocket and bed the whole inlet area. All of the stocks I have made so far have been painted though. What sort of chisels and scrapers are you using for the inletting? Anything special or specific? I have a large assortment of chisels, but a limited number of scrapers.