Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Welding to or porting 12gauge barrel

High temp high strength retaining 6** can't remember the no's. Go 15 to 20mm wide and .05 clearance ( think it takes up to .2) clean, prime glue done. Will take some heat to remove, I have done a lot of shrink fits for bearing sleeves and used to be a skeptic.

Yep I used some metal araldite two pot mix! It's bloody amazing stuff, could use in place of solder with a bit more clearance, can be drilled, filed etc.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yep I used some metal araldite two pot mix! It's bloody amazing stuff, could use in place of solder with a bit more clearance, can be drilled, filed etc.
    Where do I find that?

Quote Originally Posted by big_foot View Post
    Where do I find that?
    Yea na not in this application, easyflow or solder please.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Yea na WTF I've used to fix sights on my black powder rifle, like shit to a blanket! But agree easyflow or solder for a tradesman like job. If glued you could relieve the band to give more thickness. An engineering supplies will have the araldite, it's black in colour, comes in two seperate tubes you mix together.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Suppressors on shotguns, particularly 12 ga, are more trouble than they are worth. They add a lot of weight forward which inhibits your swing, and they are not very quiet, even with subsonic loads. The main problem is the size of the hole, and the fact that the suppressor has to be designed so it will not catch the wad, which also makes it inefficient in trapping and slowing gas. It is easier for the gas to follow (and overtake) the wad instead of going into barrel ports. Also the baffles have to have tapered rear edges to allow the wad to pass without catching, which also does the same to the gas. I have been designing and commercially building suppressors for over 40 years and have never yet got good results with a shotgun - quieter yes, but not much! During the Vietnam War the US developed a silent shot cartridge for the .44 Magnum revolver for the 'tunnel rats'. The only reason it worked was that the special cartridge case remained sealed after doubling it's length when fired and the gas was fully contained.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Suppressors on shotguns, particularly 12 ga, are more trouble than they are worth. They add a lot of weight forward which inhibits your swing, and they are not very quiet, even with subsonic loads. The main problem is the size of the hole, and the fact that the suppressor has to be designed so it will not catch the wad, which also makes it inefficient in trapping and slowing gas. It is easier for the gas to follow (and overtake) the wad instead of going into barrel ports. Also the baffles have to have tapered rear edges to allow the wad to pass without catching, which also does the same to the gas. I have been designing and commercially building suppressors for over 40 years and have never yet got good results with a shotgun - quieter yes, but not much! During the Vietnam War the US developed a silent shot cartridge for the .44 Magnum revolver for the 'tunnel rats'. The only reason it worked was that the special cartridge case remained sealed after doubling it's length when fired and the gas was fully contained.
    Yea I get what your saying and cheers for your input. Im not to concerned about weight and swing as its designed for reasonably stationary targets around the 10-20m mark. Might be a silly question but do solids have wads?

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Yea na not in this application, easyflow or solder please.
    +1

Araldite softens at about 50C.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yea I get what your saying and cheers for your input. Im not to concerned about weight and swing as its designed for reasonably stationary targets around the 10-20m mark. Might be a silly question but do solids have wads?
    Yes, American loads and some European loads have plastic wads, the rest have multiple card wads.

Yea let me know when ya ready to go Im good most weekends. Im pretty sure Ive got some easyflow here, just not sure about getting the barrel cherry red
    i got some i can bring over on saturday if you havent

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Yea na WTF I've used to fix sights on my black powder rifle, like shit to a blanket! But agree easyflow or solder for a tradesman like job. If glued you could relieve the band to give more thickness. An engineering supplies will have the araldite, it's black in colour, comes in two seperate tubes you mix together.
    @Maca49 what was that big bore suppressed rifle at my gong shoot think it might of been @Friwi that brought it along, that would be lethal on wallies.

you might be better to do a insert job like what @Toby did with a shottie

Nah not accurate enough. Why not get a suppressed .22 and head shoot the fuckers if its only 20m
    Maca49 likes this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Nah not accurate enough. Why not get a suppressed .22 and head shoot the fuckers if its only 20m
    when you meet bigfoot you will understand, i think he wants a mess as the end result.
    big_foot likes this.