Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 11 Post By gundoc

Thread: Welding up/filling in screw holes on a P14 receiver.

Welding up/filling in screw holes on a P14 receiver.

I have a p14 action that I would dearly love to restore back to its former glory. There are three side mounted screw holes on it that I would like plugged/welded up so it can be re-finished.

The action is question is from a WW2 vintage No.3(T)A rifle that I am restoring, so would like it done to a standard befitting it's rarity.

Who is out there that could do such a job?

Countersink both sides of the holes, fit correct size steel screws to stick out about 3mm each side after the heads are cut off, peen both sides heavily against suitable anvils, then peen again at red heat on both sides (heating the screw, not the receiver). This is achieved with deft work with a fine oxy-acetylene flame in one hand and the peening hammer in the other. When cooled the screw will shrink slightly and pull the peened ends to a very tight fit, then file and polish to match the finish before blueing. Done properly it will be invisible.

In effect hot riveting through the screw holes. If you've got 100 year old screws best chance of a colour match...

Got a photo if it, trying to pick out what a (t)A is, a (f) I get and a (t)...

And edit there, I've seen the heating part done with a careful hand using a tig torch as an electric arc heat device on the screw head - was rather efficient, very quick and very little fuss.

Ahhh found a few pics online, yep righto remember seeing one of them overseas. Interesting critter, 'tradesman like' in appearance or in other words ugly but effective. Be an effort finding mounts to copy?