Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 2 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Shearer
  • 2 Post By jakewire
  • 2 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 4 Post By PaulNZ
  • 1 Post By Woody
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 1 Post By No.3

Thread: Wood Stock Sealant

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar

Wood Stock Sealant

I have to shave the inside of a walnut stock [ barrel Channel]
    Is Boiled Linseed oil as good as any sealant or should I get something else.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Caretaker
    Snow seal for your boots, apply to the barrel channel and melt it in with a warm hairdryer
    jakewire and Micky Duck like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I have used Birchwood Casy True Oil in the past and it did the trick. Probably cheaper options though.
    jakewire likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

There are certainly better sealants (like epoxy) but there's probably not much point sealing it more thoroughly than the rest of the stock. What's the current finish?

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Current finish is Boiled linseed oil. It's what I had.)
    Top Rifle
    Name:  1957 30 06 husky and JM 1989 Marling 30 30.JPG
Views: 336
Size:  2.04 MB
    Steve123 and rewa like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Boiled linseed will be fine - mix a tiny amount of turps with first coat-linseed will soak in better - suggest light sand first to remove any dirt etc
    jakewire and rewa like this.

Looks good. I'd stick with the BLO too. If it was end grain then it might be worth sealing more thoroughly, but otherwise you might as well match the exterior for water resistance.

Idle musing here, but you could probably make a specific case for not sealing the barrel channel more thoroughly than the outside. When the stock is picking up atmospheric moisture I could see benefit in all surfaces picking it up at the same rate. If the wood near the barrel stayed drier than the wood on the underside of the forearm, I imagine you'd see a slight warping tendency towards the barrel. Like a bimetallic strip bending. Better that everything shrinks and grows evenly.

I wouldn't put too much stock in that mind you, I only just came up with it. I'll probably decide I'm wrong by the end of the day
    jakewire, 7mmsaum, 6x47 and 1 others like this.

An old trick when finishing a stock is to use a thick sandsoap solution. This seals and sands. Then finish with rubbed in boiled linseed oil once sand soap is dried and rubbed down. Don't forget the area under recoil pad and the checkering.
    jakewire likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

1/3 each boiled linseed, turps and cabots.
    jakewire likes this.

BLO doesn't block moisture, but does repel water droplets. What I have always been lead to believe with timber stocks is that you do actually want the stock to be able to 'breathe' or pass a bit of moisture in and out of the timber - if it doesn't breathe as such and you leave it in an area of unevenly applied heat (like sunlight) the timber gets hotter on one side and drags some of the trapped moisture into the warmer timber.

I had a cheaper .22 rimfire that was secured into the stock by a single screw, and fully bedded into the wood. It was seriously bad for going to the pack when it was left in the sun, wandering zero and groups going to the pack - really bad to the point of being useless over 50m. That was the explanation I was given when we found the stock was putting pressure on one side of the barrel, then turn it over in the sun and you could damn near see the wood twist. Ended up bedding it with Devcon steel and floating half of the barrel (and a good 5mm plus of devcon, not just a skim). That sorted it out, but very frustrating and it stuck with me how bad it was.

At the end of that, if the rest of the stock is finished in BLO I'd run with that - it'll play.
    jakewire likes this.