Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Dustoff for Willie Peters

Ok Who has the book can you pm me when your done please. i had a good talk with Scribe tonight i wont put words into anothers mouth but i am sure he is reading your comments and will contribute soon.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Great read Scribe well researched and written. The history on the different Maori wars was bloody interesting excuse the pun. Things were looking up ha ha. Mucko send me your address details and I will send it along.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gapped axe View Post
    Great read Scribe well researched and written. The history on the different Maori wars was bloody interesting excuse the pun. Things were looking up ha ha. Mucko send me your address details and I will send it along.
    Thanks for the compliments G A. I am really glad you enjoyed the book. It was such an interesting book to write. I spent many hours gazing at this land of ours from our yacht trying to see it through the eyes of an 18 year old American Whaler/Sealer and describe it. It is some land dont you agree???. To have looked at it through a sailors eyes has given it a whole new dimension for me. I hope the members of this forum get a chance to sail our coasts and try to imagine what it was like to make landfall in such an interesting place shortly after Cook. Until this period of my life I was always up somewhere high looking down on the country.

The battles you mention...I became so involved as I wrote about them that at the end of the day my 'patu' arm was quite worn out.
    I think it used to be called RSI???.

Now the expression Gapped Axe you dont hear anymore except amoung cullers and old Bushmen are you one of them GA????.
    veitnamcam likes this.

sturg4
    Just Googled that very old expression "Gapped Axe" to see how much use it gets in this modern day.

About the first thing me eyeballs fasten onto is expression....Axe Wound...'Vulva'.......The dirty bastards???.

DAF
    I just finished the book this morning, fantastic read, I really enjoyed it.
    good to see you back Scribe

who's next for the book, please PM me

Cheers
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Just Googled that very old expression "Gapped Axe" to see how much use it gets in this modern day.

About the first thing me eyeballs fasten onto is expression....Axe Wound...'Vulva'.......The dirty bastards???.
    Hi Scribe good to see you back. Enlighten me as to the meaning behind gapped axe if you will. My old man was in forestry most of his life and was a keen axe man in my youth but the words gapped axe is not something that I am familiar with.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Hi Scribe good to see you back. Enlighten me as to the meaning behind gapped axe if you will. My old man was in forestry most of his life and was a keen axe man in my youth but the words gapped axe is not something that I am familiar with.
    One of the reasons I was looking it up Rushey is that it never has been in common use and it is hardly ever heard used nowadays.

This is how I have heard it used in the past.... Once one of our boys went out with the axe and took a swing at a Black Maire stump outside the Ohutu Stream hut that over the years had turned as hard as stone. A chip came off of the cutting edge of the axe.
    Hence it was said at the time "That boy has gapped the axe"

Sometimes a tree would grow around a sizeable stone which will "gap the Axe"

A hard knot in a piece of wood was known to "gap the axe"

Perhaps the steel of the old often treasured axes like the Kelly mays have been a bit more brittle than what are available now.

That all I know Rushey and like you I would like to know more. I am hoping "Gapped Axe" will come back and explain a bit about his chosen name.

sturg4
    Good on you DAF I am glad you enjoyed it. I think 'mucko' was looking for it a few days back.
    But you send it to whoever PM's you.

I am on the last chapter of new book and are now bored witless and looking for mischief.
    DAF and veitnamcam like this.

Good on you DAF I am glad you enjoyed it. I think 'mucko' was looking for it a few days back.
    But you send it to whoever PM's you.

I am on the last chapter of new book and are now bored witless and looking for mischief.
    Cant wait Scribe I may even buy a copy!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Cant wait Scribe I may even buy a copy!
    Thats good Cam. I am afraid the age of books is just about over though.

Thats good Cam. I am afraid the age of books is just about over though.
    Just like the paperless office of the late eighties Scribe. It will never happen.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Just like the paperless office of the late eighties Scribe. It will never happen.
    Think Dotcom. And this types ability to flog off half a mill copies for a dollar each. Copyright is under extreme pressure.

Think Dotcom. And this types ability to flog off half a mill copies for a dollar each. Copyright is under extreme pressure.
    Yes that is true. People are still going to want books in the printed form though. I just don't see a stack of Kindles on a shelf giving the same sense of pride that a collection of books does.

You can't beat going to bed early with a good book and an apple or carrot to eat. When I can, I try to go to bed early 2100hrs as I never know when I might be called out. By going to bed this way I find that I sleep really well, that is untill the pager or phone wakes me. 'Gapped Axe' Term was usually made in a negative term or derogitry comment, some one who is careless. Normally for a new chum around camp i.e Don't let him do it he will gap your axe. I also heard it once about 25yrs ago on A Dogs Show when the annoucer use it when a collie went around the side of a mob of sheep, and one ewe broke and went the wrong way.Well Gap my Axe. Still got my dads Kelly but got sick of putting new handles on it ,so I now use a fibreglass one. There go's the pager now. Back again, I hate alarms that cry Wolf. In the mid eighties I used to be a Rafting and adventure Guide working in the Nth Island on the Motu, Mohaka, Kaituna, Wairoa rivers. Around the same time I worked in the bush Building huts and camp sites in the Urewera's for a firm that had a walking concession in there. Spent alot of time living with my Grandparents at Totara nth In the Whangaroa Harbour, so i certainly enjoyed that chapter of the book. Peach island must of been one hell of a Pa site.Left there in the mid 60s and hadn't been back till 2yrs ago when I swam across the harbours entrance to rejoin a vessel that had anchored under the old Gun placements after dropping me off on the northern side. Strong currents and big fish. My age early 50s. Keen to get hold of Dustoff for Willie Peters. Mucko is picking up the book on Tuesday

Yes I agree, we are certainly lucky to live where we do, and are able to pursue the different recreational oppotunities that are available.