Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By 308
  • 2 Post By Bobba
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Barry the hunter
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By Tedz50
  • 3 Post By jpurdon

Thread: Recommendation for book about hunting red deer in SI?

Question Recommendation for book about hunting red deer in SI?

Hi team, intermediate level hunter here but I’m keen to get a bit more technical in my skills. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book that covers all aspects of hunting red deer in the South Island? I’m keen to learn more about deer habits, what they eat, seasonal changes in behaviour, ageing etc.
    I understand the basics well enough but just more looking for that next level of knowledge/understanding their environment
    Cheers
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Lentle and Saxton have several books

This was first in my results

https://thehunter.nz/alpine-hunting-...-frank-saxton/

Should be in the library
    jpurdon likes this.

Lentle and Saxton books are the way to go.

Red deer in Nz
    Stalking the seasons round
    Alpine hunting

And another one I didn't know about but will add to collection
    Tracking and finding deer in nz
    RV1 and jpurdon like this.

Banned
    I have a book that you can borrow: How To Hunt Sika Deer by Alan Simmons. Ok it is written for Sika but the lessons and thinking are transferable skills and will improve your hunting whereas the Lentil / saxton books will only improve general knowledge
    jpurdon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdon View Post
    Hi team, intermediate level hunter here but I’m keen to get a bit more technical in my skills. Does anyone have a recommendation for a book that covers all aspects of hunting red deer in the South Island? I’m keen to learn more about deer habits, what they eat, seasonal changes in behaviour, ageing etc.
    I understand the basics well enough but just more looking for that next level of knowledge/understanding their environment
    Cheers
    -try google - what you want are journals done from research into deer -their diet etc many have been done and a lot were produced especially in seventies by NZFS -some will be specific to areas -so many hunting books are just personal experiences and not any scientific study which is what you want - diet palatable species of scrubs plants etc info on Kawekas only helpfull in stalking techniques not diet in South Island very different
    jpurdon likes this.

Sounds like Lentle and Saxton may be the way to go. Will have a nosy round town and see if I can get my hands on any. Cheers
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Banned
    Lentil and saxton will teach you clever names for gutting like 'Gralloch' and then the worlds slowest most impractical method of actually doing it. I dont rate their books, seriously authors like A Simmons who have been cullers and meat hunters are the ones to learn from imo

Check out s/h book shops.

Moa Hunter....Im not sure which books you read...but our recolection of the lentil n saxton books differ greatly...
    RED DEER in new zealand is VERY specific about where when and how for reds...its long been considered a bible and a must read
    the stalking the seasons round is species specific and gives guide s t owhat each species will be doing at that time of year
    the stalkers companion is a general mish mash of bits n bobs of knowledge
    the alpine one is tahr n chammy more than deer but has deer in there
    HOW you could even begin to believe that blowhard liar Alan Simmons would give better information is beyond me....
    maybe you should read his other book...I made mistake of buying a copy...gave it away as recognised enough outright bullshit in one chapter to put me right off......Im one of the two school boys who did the fencing in the maungiti chapter.......
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    Moa Hunter....Im not sure which books you read...but our recolection of the lentil n saxton books differ greatly...
    RED DEER in new zealand is VERY specific about where when and how for reds...its long been considered a bible and a must read
    the stalking the seasons round is species specific and gives guide s t owhat each species will be doing at that time of year
    the stalkers companion is a general mish mash of bits n bobs of knowledge
    the alpine one is tahr n chammy more than deer but has deer in there
    HOW you could even begin to believe that blowhard liar Alan Simmons would give better information is beyond me....
    maybe you should read his other book...I made mistake of buying a copy...gave it away as recognised enough outright bullshit in one chapter to put me right off......Im one of the two school boys who did the fencing in the maungiti chapter.......
    I have 'Stalking the seasons' that I would give away but I am yet to meet a person I dislike sufficiently to burden with its worthless Gralloching text.
    If their books are considered the bible they sure wernt looking at the stone tablets handed to Moses when writing their version of the ten commandments.
    You may not like Simmons direct style fine but my qualifier was "authors who have been cullers and meat hunters are the ones to learn from imo "

See you on the hill with your surgeons saw splitting the brisket in the dark so you can remove the Plucks !
    RV1 likes this.

cullers and meat hunters...and safari guide and poacher...and the list goes on..... yes those are indeed good qualifications...if you want to see good efficent butchering..those same graf boys do it very well using only a mercator!!!!
    your stalking the seasons around is asked for possibly once every two months on this very forum
    I believe there is fella asking for a copy right now
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdon View Post
    Sounds like Lentle and Saxton may be the way to go. Will have a nosy round town and see if I can get my hands on any. Cheers
    Saw a copy in the Hornby Library just yesterday plus some other good reading on the subject.
    Micky Duck and RV1 like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Saw a copy in the Hornby Library just yesterday plus some other good reading on the subject.
    Hopefully you did the right thing and tossed it in the urinal

I didn't have to look far, turns out the guy next to me at work has Hunting Red Deer in NZ and Stalking the Seasons Round
    trooper90, Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.