Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Projectile recommendations for .223

Projectile recommendations for .223

Hi all,
    I’ve just started reloading .223 looking for recommendations for stock standard cup n core 55grain projectiles for general purpose goats, targets, etc. im picking they are probably a much of a muchness but keen to hear what others are using. im using 55g TTSX for deer so have that end of the spectrum covered.
    cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whatever you can get that is cheap. They are indeed all much of a muchness and you won't be able to tell the difference between a Hornady, a Speer, a Nosler, or a Sierra.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

There is always plenty of Hornady 55sp around they are excellent bullets on game if you want heavyweight one you need to be prepared to pay around double or triple the price.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Targex 52gr HP, great NZ made option that really do the business. Plenty of results shown on this forum.
    Tahr, Shearer, rewa and 1 others like this.

Nakihunter
    I've just got a 223 Rem and am on the same journey of developing good loads. I have got below MOA groups with the 60gr Vmax. I also got reasonable groups with the Hornady 55gr SP with canelure.

I used to own a 222 Rem and the 52gr & 53gr Target HP bullets from Sierra and Hornady were great on goats and fallow deer.

55gr Hornady but without the cannelure. It will smoke deer. I load for a mates T3.

Caretaker
    Sierra 55g Gameking

Code #1369

The 65g Gamekings are giant killers
    Last edited by 7mmsaum; 23-11-2023 at 06:42 PM.
    nor-west and charliehorse like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    55gr Hornady but without the cannelure. It will smoke deer. I load for a mates T3.
    @TeRei not the cannelure ones (#2266) because they failed you or just because you've only used the non cannelure?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Targex 52gr HP, great NZ made option that really do the business. Plenty of results shown on this forum.
    These are extraordinary bullets. Kill out of all proportion to their size and are very accurate. Shoot well in all of the 3 .223 rifles I have. Not at all fussy. I churn through them. Great value.
    Shearer, 57jl, Mathias and 2 others like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by charliehorse View Post
    @TeRei not the cannelure ones (#2266) because they failed you or just because you've only used the non cannelure?
    More accurate from reloads. My view others may differ.
    Tahr, rewa and charliehorse like this.

Walking my rifle
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    These are extraordinary bullets. Kill out of all proportion to their size and are very accurate. Shoot well in all of the 3 .223 rifles I have. Not at all fussy. I churn through them. Great value.
    How do they go at speed on deer? have only shot goats with mine, i shoot them around 3800fps form a short barrel 22 250AI have shot plenty a deer with this hornady softpoint out of this rifle
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    How do they go at speed on deer? have only shot goats with mine, i shoot them around 3800fps form a short barrel 22 250AI have shot plenty a deer with this hornady softpoint out of this rifle
    Suggest you look at Tahr's posts . Lotsa dead deer. LOL .

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    Mine are 3250 fps. Go well on deer. Can pass through at times. The heavier Targex are better deer medicine but these little ones sure are impressive. I use them on wallaby mainly. I would rate them better than the 55 Hornady.
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Still trying to get through all the Belmont black 55gr softpoint ammo I have left over from the days of the black guns,
    seems to go well In my Howa. Can't complain.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Walking my rifle
    The cheapest and best option is Hornady product 2266B. Its the 55gr softpoints. Have been using them for 10+ year in 223, and now in 22 250AI. And with right placement will even kill big reds.

In 223 i push them with 2208,W748,CFE223 depending what i have on hand. But even at 3800fps out of the AI it drops fallows on the spot with a crease shot. (Think ive only headshot reds with it) but ive shot reds with it in 223 and works fine, so have heaps of others
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.