Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: 1 Licensed Hunter, Two Rifles?

Question 1 Licensed Hunter, Two Rifles?

Just wondering if anyone can clarify this for me. If my two mates (one licensed, one not) and I (unlicensed) are heading out hunting, are we legally allowed to take two rifles? I have been doing research and it seems "anyone can use a sporting firearm without a license if they are under the immediate supervision of a license holder". Immediate supervision also means the license holder cannot be shooting. But if my unlicensed friend and I are both shooting under the 'immediate supervision' of our licensed friend, then I believe this is legal.
    Cheers in advance for the responses

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-08-28 at 4.13.26 PM.png
Views: 994
Size:  123.1 KB
    Iqbal likes this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Your correct. So long as your under the supervision of a licensed person.

I don’t know for sure about the legal interpretation of this, but my understanding is that “supervising” and “using” are technically the same thing.

The point of the rule is that the LFAO can’t adequately supervise one rifle while using another. I would extend this to supervising two rifles at the same time.

I’d also question why you need to. Given both rifles need to be within arms’ reach of the LFAO, it’s only practical for one person to shoot at a time. It would be too tempting to split up once in the field to increase the group’s chances.
    rugerman, on2it, hamsav and 4 others like this.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I'd not like to test your interpretation of the law. I believe you are incorrect in your conclusion especially if both the unlicenced people had a firearm.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

SiB
    Usual practice however would dictate one licence per firearm. The reality is that IF things went pear-shaped, you’d struggle to convince a judge there was ‘proper supervision’ if you were using your firearm. That you have it with you indicates intent (to use). My 2c worth. This is the subjective hunting situation decision vs the objective, court- based decision. The objective decision usually wins out.
    ebf, Moa Hunter and jpurdon like this.

done to death over the years...personally,it all depends on age and ability of the unlicenced one.
    IF it was only one gun per licence,young people would never shoot ducks...BECAUSE you cant have another assembled shotgun in maimai....so either bot has to use Dads or vice versa...or you need to break one down before using the other.... B.S. youth is within arms reach,gun safety is being taught and is vital,youth is learning by exzample at same time.... we draw in birds THEN pick up gun and shoot,THEN clear action/break open/place in the "safe place' THEN we retrieve birds....
    deer stalking not so big of issue as person in lead carries gun....
    if you do take two rifles,and it turns pear shaped,its going to be on your head,you know it before leaving home so the call is yours..... if mate shoots someone,its on you....if accident happens,its on you. you the licenced adult YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE.....
    so think carefully,weigh it up and make the call...as for legality,it all depends on which cop you ask on which day of the week.

I don't think you can adequately, legally supervise two people at once.

I was of the understanding it was 1 license, 1 rifle.
    199p, Bagheera, rugerman and 3 others like this.

The police definition of supervise is being "in control of". so at all times the rifle is under the licensed persons control. As a licenced holder, control means being able to stop the rifle pointing in a direction that is unsafe and being able to control when it is ready to fire and whther it is safe. IE you must be in a position to stop as hot being fired if you need to. You cannot supervise two drivers in cars at once so I would suggest 1 license holder = one gun in use. If there are two firearms, the ONLY one can be in use at any time. SO other would need to be unloaded and disabled to avoid getting into trouble. Say for example a LH gun and a RH gun to cater for a LH shooter- or a 22LR and a centrefire for different situations.

One point to remember- If you are charged for something- it is still expensive even if you avoid penalty or conviction. Best to avoid the chance of charges.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I was always under the impression that the user had to be be under direct supervision.
    ie two hunters one rifle.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    bumblefoot and timattalon like this.

Plenty of advice above, I'd like to add that I've got absolutely nothing more to add.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Cheers for the input, probably better to play it safe. Cheers
    rugerman likes this.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Are the rules that confusing? I was at Taupo range, a guy had a stag do, had about seven firearms and they were bombing up the range, one firearm at a time. Got the feeling he was the only one with a licence and they were shooting one at a time, under his supervision. Was this legal or not? I left cause they were causing me grief with the noise!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Prior to last gamebird season with many people waiting for their renewals and first licences to arrive the "Farming show" had the Arms Officer from NZ Police on board, he made a statement that a unlicenced hunter could operate under a licenced hunters supervision and they could both shoot but the firearms and ammo went home at the end of the day with the licence holder. Was against my interpretation/
    Micky Duck and jpurdon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Are the rules that confusing? I was at Taupo range, a guy had a stag do, had about seven firearms and they were bombing up the range, one firearm at a time. Got the feeling he was the only one with a licence and they were shooting one at a time, under his supervision. Was this legal or not? I left cause they were causing me grief with the noise!
    One firearm at a time / one shooter at a time is fine. He is in a position to maintain close and direct supervision of the firearm in use.

Supervision means different things in different situation. A range officer can supervise many shooters at once (presuming all are licensed) as he is looking for rule compliance, range safety and behaviour. But firearm supervision you need to be close enough and watchful to stop an incident happening when an unlicensed person s operating one.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......