Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: ammo storage

This is straight off NZpolice website:
    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf

Sec 2.2.6 on page 11 should answer your question.
    Cheers

Liked the line about having a dog able to roam on the property. Line 2 out of 10 for property security.
    e
    I recently added a trigger lock for my lever action as you can't remove the bolt.
    Not sure I'm convinced this is the best option but short of a winding something around the action and lever and locking that in place it meets the requirements for travel.

So also make a note of the requirements for storage of your ammo and rife when traveling.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    so is the inner locking box in the top of a gun safe for bolts/ammo not legal anymore ? Am I missing something here ?
    for just small amounts of ammo obviously ....
    https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf
    Photo examples on pg13 shows ammo stored in the top box of a gun safe
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    So do folks drill holes in the side? In the event of a house fire surely a metal box full of ammo with no way for gas to vent is a 'bomb'
    No, ammo when in a fire, doesn't explode. The heat causes the powder to burn and the projectile, being heavier than the case, stays in place and the lighter case pops off. I've done experiments on this, subjecting live cartridges to the heat of a small gas cooker under a carton. No piece of the cartridge penetrated the cardboard.
    223nut likes this.

so is the inner locking box in the top of a gun safe for bolts/ammo not legal anymore ? Am I missing something here ?
    for just small amounts of ammo obviously ....
    The issue is, if someone gains illegal access to your firearms in the safe, they then will have access to the ammo as well. Is that what you want? There is a well documented case of a firearms owner arriving home, to be confronted by a ninja pointing one of his firearms at him, and the owner assumed the firearm was loaded because he stored the ammo in the gun safe.

I just put the bolts and mags in the upper locking section of safe with the 'going to use' ammo, that is why it's there after all, and have a separate locking cupboard , which is about to have another safe installed in it for bulk ammo.
    Never been a problem before.
    Wouldn't be surprised if they want trigger locks on semi's, pump's etc but a trigger lock on a bolt action with no bolt installed seems pointless...
    The fact that the safe manufacturer puts a small safe in with the main safe, doesn't mean to say it's legal. They don't know what the local regulations are.

Don't call it a safe, it's a steel cabinet, there for no certs required
    XR500 likes this.