Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree514Likes

Thread: Firearms ban in Western aussie

Firearms ban in Western aussie

Nothing to do with firearms safety.
    They are just scared haters. Been pretty tough on gun owners for yonks

https://fb.watch/iJpUeivdyp/

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov.a...ly%20deadline.

Firearms and ammunition designed to shoot over long ranges with extraordinary power and precision will be outlawed in WA from 1 July
    56 types of firearms will become illegal
    19 calibres of ammunition will become illegal
    A total of 248 licensed firearms in WA will become illegal
    The WA Government will fund market-value buyback

.340 Weatherby Magnum
    .28 Nosler
    .330 Dakota
    .338 Lapua
    .300 Lapua Magnum
    .338-404 Jeffery
    .338 Norma Magnum
    .338-378 Weatherby Magnum
    338 Edge
    .30-378 Weatherby Magnum
    .300 Norma Magnum
    .375 A-Square
    .375 Gibbs
    .460 Steyr
    .375 CheyTac
    .416 Barrett
    .408 CheyTac
    .50 BMG
    .55 Boys

He conceded the kinds of rifles being targeted had not previously been used against police officers but said that was not a strong enough reason not to act proactively. “They need to be removed. They’re a threat. You don’t wait until the event happens, you don’t wait until the tragedy occurs to act,” Mr Papalia said.

All my waht...

Quote Originally Posted by GDMP View Post
    Hard to see what the threat could be there....few would own them and for the most part they seem to be calibers (and obviously, rifles) specifically designed for large game hunting....which of course they do have in Australia.I do hope all the hunters out there are paying attention......
    Its about setting the precedent, so they can put in more restrictions

soooo - all registered and they are removing 248 firearms, all legally held.

You really struggle with what the real greater threat is as compared to a (say) 270. The people that own those calibres, are not likely to use them inappropriately........ they are not cheap guns....

But hang on, the criminals will still have theirs.

On the basis of his thinking, I am waiting for them to ban all cars - cause they maybe used against police, and we need to be proactive.

Now - I must get that 30-378 before it is banned - for chris-sake a 30 calibre.
    RV1 likes this.

Where are Mark ans Sam based?
    Would they be affected?

.28nosler is surprise inclusion to that list....
    ebf and makka like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

no 7mm STW ETC ETC
    75/15/10 black powder matters

This is the anti sniper rifle narrative that almost reared its ugly head during our confiscation.
    Easy to see where it came from
    WA have been hating on these heavy caliber rifles for yonks and really frown upon a lot of large caliber rifle ownership. As in you have to sell one if you want a different one.
    You can't have both.
    They trust you but they don't.
    Watching to many sniper movies
    Cordite and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    They have based their actions on NZ and Canada. There are very few gun owners in Western Australia as a percentage of the population - its always been the worst State in Oz for firearms ownership. It was difficult when I was there in the 1970s and has progressively got worse as time passes.
    Bollocks.

I’ve lived there twice in the 90s and 2010s and got my licence no problem both times, well within the time period they said it would be. Zero problems.

There’s a lot misinformation as usual, regarding this latest ban. As hunters in New Zealand - and Australia - we need to look at it in context. We are talking about 248 individual rifles. Not as some outlets would have you believe, over “200 types of hunting rifle”.

Read the list again and ask yourself how many hunters there are using those chamberings to either provide meat or control the considerable ungulate pest problem in W.A. I’ve been in contact with a bunch of my mates in Oz that I’ve hunted with all over from the Top End to the Snowies, and no one has a problem with it.

Personally, I’d remove the 28 Nosler and .300 Norma Mag off the list.

The ELR target guys are unfortunate collateral in a social battle we are fighting that will rumble on for years. My advice is pick your battles carefully, to win the war.
    OGM likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Unfortunately a similar ban is waiting in the wings here in a tranche, only time will tell if it is enacted

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Bollocks.

I’ve lived there twice in the 90s and 2010s and got my licence no problem both times, well within the time period they said it would be. Zero problems.

There’s a lot misinformation as usual, regarding this latest ban. As hunters in New Zealand - and Australia - we need to look at it in context. We are talking about 248 individual rifles. Not as some outlets would have you believe, over “200 types of hunting rifle”.

Read the list again and ask yourself how many hunters there are using those chamberings to either provide meat or control the considerable ungulate pest problem in W.A. I’ve been in contact with a bunch of my mates in Oz that I’ve hunted with all over from the Top End to the Snowies, and no one has a problem with it.

Personally, I’d remove the 28 Nosler and .300 Norma Mag off the list.

The ELR target guys are unfortunate collateral in a social battle we are fighting that will rumble on for years. My advice is pick your battles carefully, to win the war.
    The way to pick your battles is to ensure that legislation is purposeful, sensible, and effective. This is none of these three. It appears to me as a blatant and cynically curated checklist that simply met the budget available for confiscation reimbursement.
    Slug, Ryan, outlander and 2 others like this.

Some very specific wild cats on there, most of which Mark and Sam shoot….and very few others

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    The way to pick your battles is to ensure that legislation is purposeful, sensible, and effective. This is none of these three. It appears to me as a blatant and cynically curated checklist that simply met the budget available for confiscation reimbursement.
    Since when has politics been any different? This is clearly just a window dressing exercise in response to the most recent firearms nightmare in Aus. But will fighting it actually make any difference? Do people in the suburbs even take any notice? I doubt most even know about it.

But what does happen is an overblown emotional response on social media from firearms owners who are not in the slightest bit affected by a very minor tweak to the rules. Seriously, you need to go and have a look at some of the stuff that’s been written about this on the forums elsewhere.

The SSAA and the like should be making a much longer term and deeper rooted effort to demonstrate to suburban metropolitan Australians what firearms actually achieve in the outback. To be fair I think COLFO and Maori TV in particular have been doing a pretty good job of that over here in recent times. I don’t think the average non-gun person really has a problem with what we do.

We must learn the art of compromise to survive. I’ve lived in W.A. for years and I can assure you that 248 rifles out of the overall population is absolutely fuck all! Don’t let the 0.1% of the tail wag the rest of the dog.
    Last edited by Flyblown; 16-02-2023 at 08:11 PM.
    Just...say...the...word