Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: FAL application interviews

FAL application interviews

Just after a year since I applied for my FAL, I just got a call from the vetting office saying they want to schedule interviews next week for my wife and I. Is there anything in particular I should know before going into the interviews? What sort of questions am I likely to be asked? Any tips you guys can give me? Shall I bake some fresh bread to make the house smell nice and put cookies out?(kind of serious/not so serious with that last one). Cheers.

the questions will be VERY intrusive at times...bottom line,be nice to your wife ALWAYS...you should be anyway.
    make DARN SURE you wife knows she CANNOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES open gunsafe and cant do so as doesnt have access to keys etc unless she also has licence.... there have been folks tripped up by this one and have lost licence etc because of it.
    rugerman, 308, Steve123 and 2 others like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gone but not forgotten
    Just answer honestly.

Don't make dumb jokes about stuff like violence (domestic or otherwise), self defense, etc
    Bol Tackshin, Moa Hunter and slk12 like this.

There was always one question that trips people up - would you use a firearm to defend yourself? One answer has been 'not if it's in the safe cause it will take too long to get the damn thing out, assemble it and load it...'.

I don't think it's appropriate to coach someone online with ideal answers to the interview questions.
    Makros, sgteval, rugerman and 7 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I don't think it's appropriate to coach someone online with ideal answers to the interview questions.
    I agree with this statement. If I regurgitate something someone has said online then I won't come across as genuine. I'm not asking others what I should be saying to "X" question. I'm just wanting to be prepared for the day, y'know?
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Most of the questions for your wife (in your absence) will be about your personal life together, threats, violence, alcohol, drugs, etc. and whether she feels safe about you having firearms. Concise honest answers are all that are required. They have a habit in asking the same basic question in different ways just to see if there is any variation of consequence in the answers. Would you use a firearm for self-defence? 'I would never use a firearm for an unlawful purpose'. A concise and correct answer.
    Micky Duck, Finnwolf and No.3 like this.

Banned
    They may ask about speeding / traffic offences and criminal record. Answer fully and honestly as they have your record in front of them and are just testing honesty
    10-Ring, jackson21 and Steve123 like this.

I've heard of the Aussie cops asking the wife where she kept her jewelry & "can I have the keys so I can check the safe ?" and other tricky questions to see if an unlicensed person had access to the safe. Other than that just be honest and don't stress would be my best advice.

My advice to the Mrs was don't volunteer info they are not asking for and dont talk to fill the silence, just answer the question honestly and wait for the next one.

In my experience, the vetters are not scheming detectives trying to catch you out, the ones I have dealt with have all been really nice people.

Don't say any more than you need to and be careful you don't trip yourself up with small talk.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 10-02-2023 at 06:55 PM.

Honesty is the answer, otherwise a firearms license is really not for you.
    You and only you should know where there the keys to the safe are. Later you might want a licenced mate to hold your spares but that is waaay down the track.
    I reiterate, honesty

Chur

It's not the vettor who is the problem it is their boss, one problem at the moment is the washers behind the bolt heads in the gun safe may not be big enough.
    7mmwsm and EmpireSafaris like this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Honesty is the answer, otherwise a firearms license is really not for you.
    You and only you should know where there the keys to the safe are. Later you might want a licenced mate to hold your spares but that is waaay down the track.
    I reiterate, honesty

Chur
    They have actually changed tack about the keys since my last inquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    It's not the vettor who is the problem it is their boss, one problem at the moment is the washers behind the bolt heads in the gun safe may not be big enough.
    That's quite funny. 6mm safe wall thickness, 4mm thick washer not big enough! Gold!