Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Bolt security

Bagheera, the 'reasonable precautions' in Sec.2 all refer to the storage of firearms, not ammunition. Ammunition stored in a different location from the firearms is OK within the law. It is only when the firearms and ammunition are stored together (ie; in the same location or safe) that the firearms have to be disabled in some manner. Provided the firearms are stored in the proper security, the ammo can be in a separate cupboard inside a locked house and fully comply. Have you ever been in a sports shop and seen the ammo locked away? No, it is just sitting on the shelf separate from the firearms rack in a premises that gets annual security checks from the Police.
    Bagheera, mikee and sightpicture like this.

Gundoc; thank you. I had missed The Obvious. The gun shops I frequent do all, of course, have ammo out in the open, on shelves, where I can see it to buy.

(Slaps self on forehead, wanders off muttering "Jeez, old age sucks...")

It looks as if the Arms Regulations are different for dealers so check up before doing as they do.

Gundoc, thanks for restating the issues about security for firearms vs ammunition. Well said.
    I don't think its bending over to store your bolt separately though. Now ... having a bolt that also requires a key to use it... That is crazy.

What we have found is that there is no legal status or recognition of bolt removal, nor storage requirements for the bolt. It's common sense, if you have a bolt gun, but can't reasonably be applied to semis, shotguns and many others. If you choose a bolt action, you have the option of easily redoubling your safety margin (and your companions' at home and in the bush). Just don't loose the bolt ! It will cost you the same as a new gun to replace it and is more valuable the wrong hands.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    gundoc is correct in what he says. I will also add that there is no reason why ammunition can't be locked in the separate smaller compartment that many gun cabinets have.

If you have any issues with the police vettor, constable or AO regarding security, ask them to show you in the Arms Act or the Arms regulations where the relative law is that they're trying to enforce. Of course, it's always a good idea to have firearm security that exceeds current requirements. The Arms Act and Arms Regulations are very dated in several areas when it comes to security.