Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: bullet ricocheted through the windscreen?

So they think it was a ricochet?

If so what was the shooter aiming at?
    Woiuld seem to have brokenn several of the rules of shooting.
    Ballistics evaluation should give an indication of where the shot was fired from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    So they think it was a ricochet?

If so what was the shooter aiming at?
    Woiuld seem to have brokenn several of the rules of shooting.
    Ballistics evaluation should give an indication of where the shot was fired from.
    So what they are saying is they don't have a fucken clue...had the woman died it would be a whole new ball game
    sightpicture likes this.

If it was a ricochet wouldnt the round hole be elongated as in a sideways bullet hole
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and rewa like this.

unless it was a round ball type projectile...slingshot perhaps???
    rewa likes this.

Move along, nothing to see here - just someone been shot on one of the busiest motorways in the country.
    veitnamcam, Tommy, xtightg and 1 others like this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Banned
    The object has struck the wind screen at a height of what looks like 150mm above the bottom of the screen. It has then traveled at an angle across the car that allows it to strike the driver in the face. So would the object need to be traveling upwards at an angle from a low starting point ?. If a bullet, from someone firing from a prone position at the side of the road. To me this doesn't seem very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    The object has struck the wind screen at a height of what looks like 150mm above the bottom of the screen. It has then traveled at an angle across the car that allows it to strike the driver in the face. So would the object need to be traveling upwards at an angle from a low starting point ?. If a bullet, from someone firing from a prone position at the side of the road. To me this doesn't seem very likely.
    Or fired from the boot of a car...didn't the Yanks have some such happenings a few years ago?
    rewa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGunn View Post
    Or fired from the boot of a car...didn't the Yanks have some such happenings a few years ago?
    Yeah Washington DC I think - guy drove around with his kid in the (US) trunk firing out of a flap out the back IIRC - random people filling up at gas stations, people out walking, really no reason to it
    I'm gonna guess it was 10-15 years back?

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    Yeah Washington DC I think - guy drove around with his kid in the (US) trunk firing out of a flap out the back IIRC - random people filling up at gas stations, people out walking, really no reason to it
    I'm gonna guess it was 10-15 years back?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D.C._sniper_attacks

I've always wondered what the FBI-Agent was working-on, or onto. She was shot through the head, supposedly by the same shooter.It didnt quite fit like the rest. None of the others were shot so 'precisely'... maybe I'm just a suspicious-bugger

Quote Originally Posted by Phil_H View Post
    I remember that one. I remember it because it was a .303.....a calibre that I thought was unusual for the States. I believe that he used it to shoot sharks and it was a low flat ricochet off the water. The poor woman was something like 2 mile away. The only reason why they were able to put it together was because the fisherman came forward. Wasn't it refreshing back then when people were still willing to own up and take responsibility for their own fuck-ups.

Cheers
    Phil
    They found that guy by pure fluke.
    So the girl was driving a Ford Capri and had the back window open. There was a off duty cop following her minding his own business. Car slowly drove of the road and up a bank. Cop got out to investigate why. The corner said that the bullet that struck her behind the ear would not have had enough velocity to break the window if it had been closed.
    The detective that took up the case thought they would never find who fired the shot. But it was an unusual caliber for the US being .303
    They started door knocking on the other side of the bay from where the women was shot.
    Second place they knocked was a garage/service station. Asked if anyone owned a .303?
    Guy says yes he dose. Was given to him when he brought a boat as a shark gun.
    Detective then asked what were you do on day X ?
    Guy then says oh I was out on the bay and tried the rifle out by shooting at a buoye.

So he got done for manslughter I think.

The bullets ricocheted off the water and traveled up to two miles before passing through the narrow open back window of the Capri hitting the lady behind the ear. One in a billion chance.

Guess when your time is up it’s up.

1 in a million of finding who shot too.

Always identify your firing zone!!!

Cheers S
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Banned
    Until we see the bullet recovered from the car driver, I wont believe that it was a bullet. The hole in the screen is not round and if it was a bullet hitting the screen at such an angle that it could travel across the car, then the entry hole in the screen would look different. I don't know what did it but I am calling foul !

Could have been some one with a slingshot, lawnmower etc
    rewa likes this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Sorry to hear this news. Hopefully she will make a full recovery without any permanent damage or scars etc

However, once the Govt has finished introducing all the new firearms laws which will make NZ safer, then the alleged offender would have been apprehended within 20 mins, 30 mins tops.

Once all the illegal firearms are handed in and the Gun register is completed and up to date without any errors, the Police would have been able to consult their database, ascertain a radius for the caliber, come up with a list of firearms owners living within that radius, then used their ART units to carry out 'No Knock' raids on all the 'suspects. addresses. Jacinda would then be hailed as a hero and would be a shoe in for the Nobel peace prize.

The NZ Police........Making communities safer..........

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Until we see the bullet recovered from the car driver, I wont believe that it was a bullet. The hole in the screen is not round and if it was a bullet hitting the screen at such an angle that it could travel across the car, then the entry hole in the screen would look different. I don't know what did it but I am calling foul !

You may be right however in my experience ricochet bullets don’t travel pointy end first, they cartwheel and tumble.
    rewa likes this.