Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Buy ammo online = activating event?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    Mail order form for a suppressor is an activating event. I tried to talk to the AO about this but there were no ifs, buts, maybes.
    The email you receive has this detailed and by then it's too late.
    So expect the same for ammo
    A suppressor is classified as an arms item so the purchase is the activating event. Not the form.

A suppressor isn't an arms item when it comes to the register, it's not an activating event to buy one in person. I was told it's the mail order specifically that was the trigger not the item
    Unfortunately easier to just give in and do it
    I can only pass on my experience and let you decide for yourself
    shift14 likes this.

My comment above was based on the definition from
    https://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/.../DLM72627.html where it shows a 'silencer' to be a 'part'.

No wonder there are so many differing thoughts out there. All as clear as mud.

essentially the "rules" are what ever they make them on the day no matter what the legislation actually says it really means nothing unless you want the hassle and expense of engaging a lawyer and proving you were correct.......... for most of us its easier to just "tow the line" or not buy anything.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

They have a different definition of a major part for the register
    Either way, agreed and I expect some intentional blurring of lines just to get the numbers up
    Unfortunately the register isn't going away
    Onwards and upwards

Well I had to get import paperwork for a magazine from Canada. Permit beat the deadline so that was OK but once the magazine hits the country that does trigger registration even though it wouldn't if I bought it from a shop.
    Little sneaky tricks and typical inconsistency
    And to make it worse the importer isn't getting back to me since I sent the NZ paperwork.

Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    or not buy anything.
    If you want to avoid registering your firearms this is the only option.
    Why take the gamble if you are deadset to not register anything?

I stand corrected, apologies for spreading misinformation. I could swear I read that mail order forms was an activating event and I'm completely wrong.
    Somedays I think I wake up in a parallel universe were different things have happened.
    zimmer and Grey Kiwi like this.

My understanding from others reported experiences is that getting a mail order permit (a 'compliance interaction') is an activating circumstance? Even if the part isn't a registration item i.e. ammo or a suppressor that requires a mail order permit, the interaction to get the permit is what is the activating circumstance. I had to be a referee for someone, and I checked with that with them but no that isn't one...

Recent story , I m not sure if it is 100% true in the details, but here it is anyway:
    A guy in north island sees on the net some ammo sold by a gun shop in South Island .
    He contacts a local gunshop in the north island, ask if they could buy the ammo and then he would buy it off them in person. North island gunshop agrees and get the ammo. The guy gets the ammo from the north gunshop in person with his gun licence.
    A little bit later, he receives a first email from registry authorities saying that he had triggered an event and needed to register his guns.
    He ignored that email, treating it as a spam. He receives another email a week later . He replied that he didn’t think it triggered anything provided the circumstances. A week later receive another email saying that the cop will be there to pick up his guns within a week if he does not act immediately. So the guy did not want to fight back anymore and registered all his guns. And he is bit gutted now that he knows what he knows…
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    Recent story , I m not sure if it is 100% true in the details, but here it is anyway:
    A guy in north island sees on the net some ammo sold by a gun shop in South Island .
    He contacts a local gunshop in the north island, ask if they could buy the ammo and then he would buy it off them in person. North island gunshop agrees and get the ammo. The guy gets the ammo from the north gunshop in person with his gun licence.
    A little bit later, he receives a first email from registry authorities saying that he had triggered an event and needed to register his guns.
    He ignored that email, treating it as a spam. He receives another email a week later . He replied that he didn’t think it triggered anything provided the circumstances. A week later receive another email saying that the cop will be there to pick up his guns within a week if he does not act immediately. So the guy did not want to fight back anymore and registered all his guns. And he is bit gutted now that he knows what he knows…
    I brought ammunition from a shop and had a activation email within 5 minutes

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

So what did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    I brought ammunition from a shop and had a activation email within 5 minutes

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
    I'm lost for words. That's not supposed to happen until next year?

Just been doing a bit of googling on the issue, the FSA website is next to useless. Gunworks have gone to the effort of contacting the FSA to clarify some of these issues, the have it on there website menu under Registry Info, very helpful indeed. I wonder if COLFO have any further information. Anyone seeking legal assistance with anything firearms related, Nicholas Taylor, Barrister specializes in firearms law, at www.firearmslawyer.co.nz , mob 021362163. He had an article on COLFO'S page on Facebook a while back, probably the best person in the country to interpret gibberish known as the NZ Firearms laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel View Post
    I'm lost for words. That's not supposed to happen until next year?
    Indeed, it's written in black and white, just yet another case of the aNZ Police making up the law to suit themselves!
    timattalon likes this.