Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Concerned

Thanks everyone, he is not violent just depressed.
    EVERYTHING is under my lock and key now except for his 303 bolt.

I will talk with him as soon as he is back. I dont think it will be an issue.

And 7mmsaum I will definitely be in touch with the police tomorrow.
    Dougie likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Sounds like you got shit sorted pretty fast, Good luck with the rest of it.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I'd be removing them and locking them at another mates place. No risk if they aren't there. Have had a few mates top themselves in different ways at least you can remove the guns as an option
    I will be. Its like 11-12 in a 7 gun safe! tomorrow nights mission.

Well if you ever want to send them away I will be more then happy to take em off ya hands lol.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Hats off to you Tussock. That is not 2 cents worth, that the whole dollar. I am in awe of your explanation and somewhat embarrassed and ashamed to recognise that I have been one of the many "drink a cup of concrete and harden up" advice givers across time. I now have understanding where previously I could never understand.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Cheers Tussok, Im already doing most of that(I dont run for the sake of it) If he was worried enough that he might hurt himself to call the police to come get him, then I wouldn't be much of a mate if I didn't remove his firearms.
    We will talk when He comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Happiness is a cocktail of chemicals. In the poor bastards head, there are none. What seems like one of the least physical of illnesses (depression) is actually one of the most physically controlled, and the simplest. He has had a traumatic experience and its thrown all his brain chemicals out of kilter. The old addage "snap out of it" is pure nonsence. You cant magic serotonin into existence. He feels like hes sinking into a pit, and its because all the happy drugs our body naturally produces have crashed.

He thinks hes gone mad. DO NOT CONFIRM IT FOR HIM! If you took something from my gun cupboard you would ask first. Be sure to extend him the same courtesy. By just taking them, your telling him he cant be trusted. He will already be filled with shame and thinking everyone thinks he is a weirdo as it is. All for something about as medically interesting as anemia and just as common.

Iv seen a few mates treated for minor to major psychological issues and they were all treated with relative ease by the doctors. The actual chemical imbalances were fixed like a bacterial infection. The social stigma scarred them for life. Mates treated them like they had an arm growing out of their foreheads.

Learn a bit about it. John Kirwan was brave enough to be the face of the website, so the least people can do is read it. Depression. The poor bloke has a simple, but horrific illness. All your thoughts and feelings are the result of chemicals. A big dose of those chemicals will make you feel like your on the top of the world. Such an injection would come from say, shooting your dream stag. You would be on a cloud for a week. The lingering effects of chemical high induced by the event. Such a buz can be self perpetuating, you have a good week, do more cool things and everything is on the up. Its all chemically induced and controlled. Real, and healthy.

Likewise, a traumatic event or family upheaval can cause those chemicals to plummet. We all have bad days, but if its bad enough, you end up with a major deficit. The chemicals = happy are not there. Your short on energy, things start going worse, and it can be a downward spiral. Your walking around right now (I hope) with a certain sense of well being. Its rare we think about it, but that sense of well being is nothing more than a background level of a bunch of chemicals. Its no more complicated than having not enough iron in your blood. Imagine if your background level of those chemicals was low. There goes your sense of well being. You would have a constant and unexplainable feeling that everything is not Ok.

Leave the advice and the counseling to the head shrinkers. You can do just as much if not more, by really doing very little. First, treat him like he is absolutely normal (because he is). Act like its nothing major, and try and give the impression you dont think its anything to be ashamed of (cos it isnt). Society is telling him he is a lepper. You need to show him otherwise. Then treat him like a troubled dog. No, Im not being nasty. Exercise and distraction. If a dog was fixated on some negative cycle of behavior, I would distract it, and so, without it noticing it could be introduced to a new cycle of behavior. Chuck an old wreck in the back yard and make him fix it. Whatever. Make sure he is constantly occupied. Tell him not to stay with his kids like that again. Kids are a great distraction. Tell him to do other things with them.

Exercise is even better. Proper physical exhaustion, means he will crash at night. He wont be able to stew, he will collapse and fall in to a deep, and very healthy sleep. Exercise causes big fat doses of those chemicals he is sorely lacking, as well as general health. Get him out on the hill as much as you can. Go for runs. Wont hurt you either.

Mate of mine had a breakdown. His mother, who is a nurse in her 60s, biked 20-40ks a day, every day, making her son run alongside her (hes a good runner) every day, for months. If she can do it, anyone can.

Thats my 2 cents worth.
    Thanks for that info, it is good to know that there are people who understand. Unfortunately for me this is what I suffer from and have been getting it sorted for a couple of years now each day gets better I do things to keep my mind occupied. Yeah I have heard the old get over it and carry on with life bullshit, and that is because those who go around saying that stuff to a person with this kind of illness does not understand at all because they have never seen it. All I can say to those who have a go at people because of they way they are get to know them properly before you judge them.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

Re: Concerned

Yea and then call them a gay munter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by CreepingDeath View Post
    Yea and then call them a gay munter

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Cheeky shit but that does not mean you can start that shenanigan again
    Last edited by hunter308; 09-10-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

I would say taking the rifles is the best thing in the long run. If he is a real friend and respects your opinion, then he will understand. maybe not immediately but he will aprresciate it in the long term. And im sure if he complained to the Police about it, they would speak with you and as your concerns are valid and appropriate, they would probably take his guns off you and keep them themselves for safe keeping. You are doing the right thing by removing an option for him.

sturg4
    Yes Cam the first thing you need to worry about is your family. Irrational behaviour can be the problem.

When our family lived in Darwin we had a young man of 21 living with us and just as the monsoons arrived he went (troppo) they called it. I saw the symptoms and and rang the Local Police Station "Not much we can do about it give us a call when he has done it" was all I got from them. Well a week later Karl wanted me go fishing with him. I said no it was going to rain with that he went around to his brother in laws place and blew his head of with his shotgun and his brother in law and his family walked in on the scene. I have been eternally gratefull ever since that there was not a firearm available at my place and my own family was spared this trauma.
    Last edited by Scribe; 09-10-2012 at 03:00 PM.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Personally Veitnamcam I think you've done the right thing, and when you talk to him on his return you'll get a good idea on how to proceed from there.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I would just talk to him, and ask him I wouldn't do it with out asking or explaining your situation to him
    TIKKA 595 7mm08 for the deer 12 gauge for everything else!

VC
    IN SITUATIONS OF MENTAL HEALTH CRISIS THE POLICE CAN STORE FIREARMS UNTILL SUCH TIME AS THE OWNER HAS BEEN SEEN FIT TO HAVE THEM RETURNED.
    THIS CAN TAKE ALL THE DECISION MAKING OF WHEN THEY ARE RETURNED TO HIM OUT OF YOUR HANDS AND LEAVES CONSCIENS CLEAR AND CAN REDUCE THE CHANCE OF AKWARD SITUATIONS OF HIM ASKING YOU TO GIVE THEM BACK.

GOOD ON YOU FOR CAREING FOR HIM AND OTHERS! I APPLAUD YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO CARE!!!
    SOUND LIKE HE HAD A TOP FRIEND.

iF YOU WANT FURTHER INFO ON DEPRESION

THE LOWDOWN / Helping youth with depression

Hes home and we just had a chat, pretty drugged up at the mo(him not me) It would appear his meds have lost there effectiveness over time and they are going to try him on something else.
    He thanked me for moving the firearms, he had told the cops they were locked up and they were comming to see me about them.
    20 Bore likes this.