Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: Could we do more

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    I'd legalize all drugs to destroy the organised crime economy then address the issues that force people into poverty and crime. But hey lets just make gun owners get better safes cuz we're too fuckin lazy to do the above
    problem solved: make all drugs legal but only obtainable from vodaphones help desk, after an hour or 2 on hold you will just give up

Honestly, if you don't have the serial numbers written down it's not a big issue.
    Even if the police do find your gun 6 months later, it's unlikely to be in the state it was before if it's even in a legal state at all.
    By then you would have been paid out by your insurance company and the police will just go ahead and destroy it, where's the real harm to the community?
    There is none, only thing you could argue is that there's parts on there you or someone else could still use.
    Mooseman, Skatieguy and WallyR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    Honestly, if you don't have the serial numbers written down it's not a big issue.
    Even if the police do find your gun 6 months later, it's unlikely to be in the state it was before if it's even in a legal state at all.
    By then you would have been paid out by your insurance company and the police will just go ahead and destroy it, where's the real harm to the community?
    There is none, only thing you could argue is that there's parts on there you or someone else could still use.
    But it can provide solid evidence that the gun found is a stolen gun, not just one the same model as a stolen one. Which obviously helps the police with the whole resolving burglaries and prosecuting offenders thing we all say they haven't been doing very well (well most of us say that , maybe not Savage1).
    Savage1 and gadgetman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    But it can provide solid evidence that the gun found is a stolen gun, not just one the same model as a stolen one. Which obviously helps the police with the whole resolving burglaries and prosecuting offenders thing we all say they haven't been doing very well (well most of us say that , maybe not Savage1).
    Nope I agree with you, we haven't been doing well at it. Burglaries are notoriously hard to solve because a few basic steps means they leave no evidence, and without evidence you're never going to solve it. Police just don't have the resources to really hammer burglaries sadly.

I highly recommend you record all of your serial numbers from laptops, TVs etc. If it can't be identified as stolen then it has to be given back to them even if it is obvious it would've been stolen, like a gangmembers property I raided recently that had 7 55+inch TVs and at least 50 powertools and 15 toolchests full of tools. Only a fraction of the tools were identified as stolen, he got to keep the rest.

res
    [QUOTE=Savage1;504391If it can't be identified as stolen then it has to be given back to them even if it is obvious it would've been stolen[/QUOTE]

Thats an interesting point and one I had never considered
    stumpy likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

On the legalize all drugs idea, I think we should remove licencing on guns. Those that want them have them already. Would violent firearms crime rise? Or do we not trust ourselves?
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    Nope I agree with you, we haven't been doing well at it. Burglaries are notoriously hard to solve because a few basic steps means they leave no evidence, and without evidence you're never going to solve it. Police just don't have the resources to really hammer burglaries sadly.

I highly recommend you record all of your serial numbers from laptops, TVs etc. If it can't be identified as stolen then it has to be given back to them even if it is obvious it would've been stolen, like a gangmembers property I raided recently that had 7 55+inch TVs and at least 50 powertools and 15 toolchests full of tools. Only a fraction of the tools were identified as stolen, he got to keep the rest.
    That's really weird, I always see my local police posting pictures of what they believe are stolen items asking for the owners to come forward?
    Or does that just mean they've taken the items and asked then have to give them back if they're not claimed?
    If not, what's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    If someone doesn't have a licence which I doubt they do if they're stealing guns they're going to be charged with that regardless, maybe if that actually meant they didn't get a smack on the hand it wouldn't matter if you gave your serial numbers to police or not.

EDIT: But I understand what you're both saying, so in a way it's helpful, but honestly makes fuck all difference after sentencing.
    Last edited by Jexla; 18-08-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Labour MP's reckon "the horse has bolted" for gun registration but can't see why new guns couldnt be micro chipped and kept in a database.

I'm curious where you would put a micro chip in a gun?

I'm looking at it like this. They want to know how criminals get guns -> they get told the majority or procured through theft -> few stolen guns are ever recovered-> lets register guns so we know where they are -> registered guns get stolen and not recovered -> where are criminals getting guns? -> on and on

Labour MP's reckon "the horse has bolted" for gun registration but can't see why new guns couldnt be micro chipped and kept in a database.

Down the barrel of course!
    Plenty of length to deposit said microchip.
    Then the next deer you shot, wouldn't get lost - Labour would find it for you - at great cost - so they could put another one, where the last one was
    AzumitH and 10-Ring like this.

It's probably not completely unworkable, except that no manufacturers currently embed id microchips in their stocks/grips/whatever, and it's also completely devoid of purpose, and all guns already come with unique identifying marks that anyone can remove if they've got an angle grinder, so a more expensive and complicated version of the same thing doesn't actually seem to have a point
    Thirdguy likes this.

Personally, I haven't shot anyone lately, so I don't think I need to do more

Quote Originally Posted by Daggers_187 View Post
    Compliance with those British standards is not legally mandated in British law. It's only recommended that you comply with them. But the firearms officer ("vetting officer" as we call them here) may, at their discretion, accept anything. If they were mandated by law, then there would be sections in legislation stating that gunsafes "shall comply with [insert standards here]."

Standard BS 7558 relates to testing methods and "withstanding attack." And not to the construction or installation of gunsafes. By mandating that "all gunsafes must comply with BS 7558", you would require independent testing, to destruction, of every gunsafe you wished to use and every installation method.

Standard BS 3621 relates to security standards of locks.

The reality is that British firearms storage law is no different to New Zealand firearms storage law.

NOTE: New Zealand already has an equivalent to BS 7558. AS/NZS 3809: 1998.

Please cite the legislation which states that you "shall" or "must" have a monitored alarm system.
    You are now showing your lack of understanding of the judicial system and how guidelines work within it, the way the judicial system works is, that you must follow the guidelines or we will prosecute you using the guidelines as proof of your failure to show due diligence, this applies to H&S regulations as well, the firearms officer ( a police employee will not deviate from the guidelines )
    As to all safes would have to be destroyed, another misunderstanding of the BS system , how do you intend to test all the buildings in NZ built to withstand earthquakes , create earthquakes ? How about your car, have you crashed it to see if the crumple zone comply so with NZ transport requirements, no as they only test a model during production testing and then apply those standards required to all models made, not sure if your on a wind up but this is fun.
    Off Tmo to drive into all the bridges I can find to see if they are up to crash standards as set out by NZ transport, any volunteers. 😆

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    It's probably not completely unworkable, except that no manufacturers currently embed id microchips in their stocks/grips/whatever, and it's also completely devoid of purpose, and all guns already come with unique identifying marks that anyone can remove if they've got an angle grinder, so a more expensive and complicated version of the same thing doesn't actually seem to have a point
    Numbers stamped into steel go very deep and you can grind/file them off, but they can be read again, I think they can be etched up
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

I believe so, yes, which reinforces my point