Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Extra Cabinets Inspection

Extra Cabinets Inspection

Hey guys, I am a long time reader, first time poster to this forum.

I have recently installed 2 more gun safes at my property, 2 more of the same case that I had installed previously, screwed up in the same manner as the first right next to it.

Do I need another police inspection? I have called my local firearms office 3 times in the past week and have even left a message. Nobody has responded back to me.

My neighbors call the cops every time I use my firearms (they are rather bitter individuals), so I am hesitant to use my firearms until I am sure my new installation is all legal and good to go.

Any advice on how to book a police check? If I even need one?

Cheers guys!

Gone but not forgotten
    If you are storing firearms in the new safes you will need an inspection - but if you have informed the police you have done your bit and it's now up to them to actually do the inspection.

Would send them an email so you have a record of informing them and asking for an inspection.

Another option could be to use the change of address form on their website and just use your current address as your new address, it would at least give you a record of trying to notify them. Arse covered and all that

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...-your-firearms
    Padawan, Jukes and subserver like this.

over here, over there, either here, or there
    Go here https://www.police.govt.nz/sites/def...e-guidance.pdf
    If you have done everything that is required of you, and informed police, don't hassle them. You've done your part - the rest is up to them.
    subserver likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaca View Post
    Another option could be to use the change of address form on their website and just use your current address as your new address, it would at least give you a record of trying to notify them. Arse covered and all that

https://www.police.govt.nz/advice-se...-your-firearms
    This seems like a good idea, I will do this. At least then I have it on record that they have been informed. My concern was indeed mostly that I would get a police inspection and, without proof of notice, get in hot water over the changes.

thanks for the advice guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    If you are storing firearms in the new safes you will need an inspection
    Where exactly does it say that? All I can find is if you change address you must notify them.
    Makros and Skirch like this.

@Bobba nailed it. Email them, and then everyone is on the same page. If you get no response after 2 weeks, email again. After that, using the safe would be very defensible if they ever did bring it up.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    Where exactly does it say that? All I can find is if you change address you must notify them.
    Arms Regulations Act 1992

(3)
    The steps taken under subclause (2) must be approved by a member of the Police following an inspection carried out—
    (a)
    at the time the holder’s firearms licence is issued (or renewed); or
    (b)
    during an inspection under section 24B of the Act that includes an inspection of the holder’s steel and concrete strongrooms, storage boxes, cabinets, safes, racks, and similar items, and of the manner in which they are locked and secured on and to the premises.

email police, add receipt required to email would be a good start. that way you have confirmation they have received and confirmed email

Gone but not forgotten
    Arms Regulations Act 1992

(3)
    The steps taken under subclause (2) must be approved by a member of the Police following an inspection carried out—
    (a)
    at the time the holder’s firearms licence is issued (or renewed); or
    (b)
    during an inspection under section 24B of the Act that includes an inspection of the holder’s steel and concrete strongrooms, storage boxes, cabinets, safes, racks, and similar items, and of the manner in which they are locked and secured on and to the premises.
    Just to clarify...
    Section 19 (1) says you must secure your firearms
    Section 19 (2) says how you must secure them
    Section 19 (3) says how they are secured must be inspected and approved

Just to clarify...
    Section 19 (1) says you must secure your firearms
    Section 19 (2) says how you must secure them
    Section 19 (3) says how they are secured must be inspected and approved
    So if the manner of securing is identical in the same location he is good to go. He has an approved location and method of securing. The Police are assessing the quality of security, not the quantity of it. The quality has been signed off. Adding an additional one of the same is a non-event from a compliance perspective. Surely. Done the same myself and buggered if I'm asking for an "update" inspection. My security complies as it matches what has been signed off. In fact, i've added capacity before and they never even noticed the next time they came around. We need to stop being silly about this stuff. The legal threshold is reasonableness.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    So if the manner of securing is identical in the same location he is good to go. He has an approved location and method of securing. The Police are assessing the quality of security, not the quantity of it. The quality has been signed off. Adding an additional one of the same is a non-event from a compliance perspective. Surely. Done the same myself and buggered if I'm asking for an "update" inspection. My security complies as it matches what has been signed off. In fact, i've added capacity before and they never even noticed the next time they came around. We need to stop being silly about this stuff. The legal threshold is reasonableness.
    So if you move house you reckon you don't need an inspection? Same thing - your firearm storage is no longer inspected and approved. The safe and easy option is to inform the police then let them worry about it. The regulations say your storage needs to be inspected and approved, and doesn't say there is an exemption if it is the same as what has already been approved.

So if you move house you reckon you don't need an inspection? Same thing - your firearm storage is no longer inspected and approved. The safe and easy option is to inform the police then let them worry about it. The regulations say your storage needs to be inspected and approved, and doesn't say there is an exemption if it is the same as what has already been approved.
    You're extrapolating from apples to oranges..relocating your storage to a new address is clearly covered by the law and understood by every responsible and reasonable person as required notification and inspection. Dont try and suggest I said otherwise.

Adding a new capacity in the same location to the same standard of both safe and fixing such as has been previously inspected and signed off is an entirely different matter. If you were to downgrade the quality of the security in any way then of course you would require it to be inspected and signed off.

No court in the country is going to raise a question about an installation identical to what has already been approved in the same location
    However if you relocate your secure storage from out of your inspected approved garage location to your uninspected new dugout mancave under your external deck, at the same address, yes, you're going to need that inspection to be revisited. And don't hold your breath on getting sign-off.

Happy?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Gone but not forgotten
    The only specific law around changing address is the requirement to let the police know you have changed address - there is no specific requirement for an inspection, it is covered by the same regulation 19(3) requiring storage to be inspected.
    All I'm saying is why take the risk when under the wording of the regulations you could end up in trouble? Let the police know what you have done (and they may say "all good, no need to inspect") and your covered. It's not that hard to make a phone call or send an email.