Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: Latest from Police via FCAF

Latest from Police via FCAF

_WELCOME TO OUR FIRST FIREARMS PĀNUI_

Kia ora koutou

Ko Mike McIlraith toku ingoa, ko taku mahi Director Partnerships for Arms Safety and Control at Nga Pirihimana o Aotearoa, and I want to welcome you all to our first Firearms Pānui.
    Our vision is that the possession and use of firearms in Aotearoa is the safest in the world; and our purpose is to effectively regulate the legitimate possession and use of firearms to keep all communities safe.
    Over the past couple of years there have been legislation and regulation changes for our firearms community. There are still a number of changes coming up in the Firearms space so, we want to offer a communications channel where you can keep up to date with what’s happening and how
    you can input.
    This pānui will be your regular summary of information alongside sharing any key dates, useful links and information.
    While I regularly spend time out in our community, I look forward to using this channel to engage with you on a regular basis.

Ngā mihi
    Mike McIlraith
    Director Partnerships
    Arms Safety and Control

UPDATES
    Online application forms

While we will continue to offer paper services we will soon be introducing on our website “MyFirearms” an online portal for applicants to apply for licences and some endorsements, or notify us of changes. This will allow applicants to complete online application forms, upload photos and documents and pay online. I look forward to sharing more details of what this will look like and how this will operate in my next update.

Guidance on security and transportation of firearms and ammunition There are updated regulations in place for the security and transportation of firearms and ammunition. For more information on what
    your obligations are as a firearms licence holder check out our guidance document here [2] and watch any of the short guidance videos here [3].

My Firearms will be launched later this year. Would you like to manage and pay for your licensing and endorsements online? Or notify us of any changes?

We encourage you to share this information.

Registry
    Over the last couple of months, we have been engaging with our Firearms Community Forums and Groups on the Firearms Registry which will be established and come into force on the 24 June 2023.
    Public consultation is planned for the end of this month. A document will be released, seeking feedback on proposed regulations that will support the operation of the Registry. We would encourage you to provide your feedback on proposals. When the consultation dates have been confirmed we will notify you and provide you more information on how to provide feedback.

Registry service design
    In parallel to the policy work been undertaken we are now four weeks into a nine-week service design programme for the registry. Service Design is all about understanding what the experience of the
    people who would be using the registry could be; designing to drive adoption by making it as easy as possible to use and comply, while considering regulatory requirements.
    This is an intensive programme of work involving many with external testing is being undertaken with members of the firearms community including dealers, importers, and a selection of different licence
    holders to reflect ethnicity, age, location, and gender.
    The outcome of this work will provide help us define the initial view of high-level requirements and solution design for what the registry platform and service can look like and help us deliver a people-centric solution in the future.

Clubs and Ranges update
    As of 24 June 2022, shooting clubs and shooting ranges are now regulated by Police. This means that all existing clubs and ranges must apply for approval or certification by 24 June 2023.
    Earlier this year Police completed a public consultation on the regulations for clubs and ranges. The final proposals are being considered by Cabinet for approval before the drafting of regulations.
    The new regulations will likely come into force in early 2023.

Shooting club committees, shooting club members and Shooting Range Operators are encouraged to become familiar with the new Part 6 of the Arms Act (here) to help them prepare for the changes.
    To assist clubs and ranges to understand how the changes may affect them and prepare for the final regulations, Police have released exposure drafts of the shooting range manual, forms, checklists and other information, which are now available on the Police website [5].
    Police also ran a series of Shooting Range Inspector courses around the country, which members of the various shooting disciplines attended. These Police trained and recognised shooting range inspectors can help shooting range operators prepare applications in advance of the final regulations.
    A dedicated Clubs and Ranges Team within Police has been stood up to process and manage application and compliance reviews for clubs and ranges.
    To find out more, please see the clubs and ranges information page on the Police website. If you are a shooting range operator, contact a local shooting range inspector [6] who c an help explain the process and review your draft documentation.

Firearms Prohibition Orders Legislation Act 2022
    The Firearms Prohibition Orders Bill received Royal assent on 15 August.
    The Firearms Prohibition Orders Legislation Act 2022 is now on the legislation website. You can find the Act here [7].
    Government prioritises firearm prohibition orders to reduce gun harm.

The passage of the Firearms Prohibition Order Legislation Bill happened on 9 August 2022.

The new law helps to reduce firearm-related crime by targeting possession, use, or carriage of firearms by people whose actions and behaviours demonstrate risk.

You can read more about this here:
    https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/...educe-gun-harm [8]

I have no respect or trust in Mr McIlraith.
    mikee, Pengy, Maca49 and 13 others like this.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

Ignoring the words that I simply dont understand without googling each one - that has to be one of the harder reads I have had - maybe it is just me.

Got to this

While we will continue to offer paper services we will soon be introducing on our website “MyFirearms” an online portal for applicants to apply for licences and some endorsements, or notify us of changes. This will allow applicants to complete online application forms, upload photos and documents and pay online. I look forward to sharing more details of what this will look like and how this will operate in my next update.

Bravo for following every government department and trying to force people to do everything online.

There are more than a few LFAO I know that do not/can not use the internet. I for one refuse to engage with any government department via email (call me pig headed).

IF this is anything like the Traveller Declaration it will be a total fuck up - the online form didnt work - and takes 40 minutes to do - the paper verison was 2 minutes of quick writing.

Democracy/Bueaurcracy should be open for all - but the policy makers/civil servants seem to constantly underestimate the large numbers of people that are technically illeritate or they simply do not have access to the internet - witness the under-representation of certain groups in the census.

I can see the day when they will insist everything is online - so will we then see yet another sector of the population become criminialised just become some youngster in wellington and cant understand that not everyone has a computer.

PS - rant over - I am back to my little cess pool.

Theres only one "UM"!
    Reindeer likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    apart from the fact that I wouldnt trust McIlwraith as far as I could throw him , anyone who sends me messages written in a language I dont read or speak gets ignored.

WTF does that first sentence say?
    Just making every thing very difficult, I heard the other day 45 pages for a renewal? Is that correct?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

WTF does that first sentence say?
    "Hello, I am/my name is Mike McIlwraith. My job/work/role is Director Partnerships for Arms Safety and Control at New Zealand Police"

Or was that a rhetorical question?
    Sika stag and Moa Hunter like this.
    bunji likes this.

45 pages was the referee form for a new licence or renewal. That has been ditched and the referee interview answers stands one it's stead. Common sense broke out for once.
    Maca49 and csmiffy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Just making every thing very difficult, I heard the other day 45 pages for a renewal? Is that correct?
    Pretty much. Depends how big your imidiate family/number of people you live with/have access to your property as their details have to be listed including friends of your teenage kids if they regularly come round. Add on another 10 or so pages per endorsements.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    I have no respect or trust in Mr McIlraith.
    What is more galling is that police officers do a 6 month phys`ed course at Porirua and then apparently are most truthful people in NZ and are the only people deemed proper persons to have firearms. That shows how bad NZ has got. Ask Mr McIlraith if the police officer who shot Iriheke Pere still have a firearms licence? Or did they reinvent the truth about the criticism of the IPCA or the stinging criticism from Justice Palmer in the High Court. The monkeys are really in control of the temple.
    small_caliber likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    What is more galling is that police officers do a 6 month phys`ed course at Porirua and then apparently are most truthful people in NZ and are the only people deemed proper persons to have firearms. That shows how bad NZ has got. Ask Mr McIlraith if the police officer who shot Iriheke Pere still have a firearms licence? Or did they reinvent the truth about the criticism of the IPCA or the stinging criticism from Justice Palmer in the High Court. The monkeys are really in control of the temple.

Did he have a firearm licence in the first place? Most cops don’t.
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

nothing rhetorical involved mate - mixing languages in the same sentence is insulting to both languages. Either write the complete statement in one language or the other complete.

Whilst I fully support the right f Maori folk to speak their own language - it isnt my language and I dont speak it so any communication with myself needs to be in the universal language of the land .
    Well said! Aotearoa drives me nuts and puts me way off Māori language, I was keen to learn it once, but my throat is too saw from having it shoved down it.
    Moves me away from my Māori heritage, which is sad.
    All my grandkids learn it at school and all have Māori in their genes
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

There is an offer here to provide feedback on the "firearms registry"..I know, I know..but if we as LFAOs don't submit, it will be chucked back at us.
    sgteval and Sika stag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    Did he have a firearm licence in the first place? Most cops don’t.
    Firearms Legislation (and other legislation) specifically removes the need for NZ Police and NZDF uniformed employees to hold a firearms licence, 'when undertaking their lawful duties'.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 888 View Post
    There is an offer here to provide feedback on the "firearms registry"..I know, I know..but if we as LFAOs don't submit, it will be chucked back at us.
    Not giving feedback is akin to not voting in the general election, then bitching about who got elected....

And if you do give feedback, you get to say I told you so!

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Not giving feedback is akin to not voting in the general election, then bitching about who got elected....

And if you do give feedback, you get to say I told you so!
    Exactly.
    That's why I'm voting for Lisa Lewis to be Mayor. Then I can bitch and complain for the next 3 years!
    ZQLewis likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.