Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: FAL question

Yeah, mine is due in 12 months, so I have the forms now and will get it off in the next week or two.
    I hear what you are saying, and agree.
    But I reckon it just needs to be gone, so it might as well be sold now.
    Use enough gun

@40mm - you are wise to get it in early. My advice is to keep the pressure in, and record every communication you have with police. Email is a wonderful thing!

Reading some of the advice here, Nicolas Taylor is guaranteed a living.
    @10-Ring There isn't a legal requirement to sight the sellers licence - do you ask Gun City to show you a licence when you collect a gun there? But they definitely need to sight your licence (actually, they record the details of the transaction too).
    @ROKTOY - Yes, a mate can buy/sell a gun on your behalf if they have a valid licence, but they commit an offence when they hand a firearm to you without sighting your valid licence. You also commit an offence when you take possession a firearm from said mate without having a valid licence.

This is serious stuff and if you fail to get it right and get caught out, you may not look like a fit and proper person.

I say this not to criticise, but in the hope that we all aim for 100% compliance, so we never have to surrender our firearms because we were in informed.
    Last edited by Bol Tackshin; 03-08-2022 at 12:15 AM.
    ROKTOY, 40mm and dannyb like this.

Thanks guys, between a rock and a hard place.
    My firearms were given to my brother in law when it expired, a pain but it is what it is at the moment.
    Will likely sell it when my new one comes through

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    @40mm - you are wise to get it in early. My advice is to keep the pressure in, and record every communication you have with police. Email is a wonderful thing!

Reading some of the advice here, Nicolas Taylor is guaranteed a living.
    @10-Ring There isn't a legal requirement to sight the sellers licence - do you ask Gun City to show you a licence when you collect a gun there? But they definitely need to sight your licence (actually, they record the details of the transaction too).
    @ROKTOY - Yes, a mate can buy/sell a gun on your behalf if they have a valid licence, but they commit an offence when they hand a firearm to you without sighting your valid licence. You also commit an offence when you take possession a firearm from said mate without having a valid licence.

This is serious stuff and if you fail to get it right and get caught out, you may not look like a fit and proper person.

I say this not to criticise, but in the hope that we all aim for 100% compliance, so we never have to surrender our firearms because we were in informed.
    Well, if you are standing there 'under the immediate supervision' of a correctly licenced person you can be 'in possession' of the firearm while unlicensed. You just aren't allowed to sod off with it away from the 'immediate supervision' - although there really isn't a definition of what 'immediate supervision' is. I mean, if you're the license holder and you turn around to take a piss (which has to happen as a basic life function) while you're 'handling your own weapon' you aren't really supervising your mate. I dunno - the entire setup from the top down needs to be arsed out and restarted with a view to common dog.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    .....10-Ring There isn't a legal requirement to sight the sellers licence - do you ask Gun City to show you a licence when you collect a gun there? But they definitely need to sight your licence (actually, they record the details of the transaction too).....
    You're right Bol, I can't find any reference in the Arms Act 1983 and the Arms Regulations, latest version, to a seller having a legal requirement to show a buyer a valid firearms licence. The seller could be anyone who has possession of a firearm, legally or otherwise. Seems inconsistent with common sense. No, I don't ask Gun City or H&F (not that I buy any firearms from them) or any of the larger retail firearms sellers to show me their dealer licence. However that's based on the trust that they wouldn't be selling firearms unless they had a dealer's licence, which their staff, if listed on the dealer licence is legally allowed to do. I would definitely want to see a seller's firearms licence for some one selling a firearm privately.[/QUOTE].

There are definitely inconsistencies and things that make no sense at all, but it is the law. And sometimes the law is an ass! The firearms register is going to create a whole new level of things that don't make sense, but that are the law!
    10-Ring likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    You're right Bol, I can't find any reference in the Arms Act 1983 and the Arms Regulations, latest version, to a seller having a legal requirement to show a buyer a valid firearms licence. The seller could be anyone who has possession of a firearm, legally or otherwise. Seems inconsistent with common sense.
    .[/QUOTE]

Not really - any sale by a non-FAL holder to a FAL holder gets an illegally held gun off the streets.

I can see sighting the seller's FAL (and recording the name/number) being a requirement once the register comes in, so that the transfer can be recorded

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post

Not really - any sale by a non-FAL holder to a FAL holder gets an illegally held gun off the streets.

I can see sighting the seller's FAL (and recording the name/number) being a requirement once the register comes in, so that the transfer can be recorded
    Yes, that was pointed out to me by Scott Stonex, Reloader's Supplies, who is a part owner and good friend. Even so, I wouldn't personally want to buy a firearm that may have been used in a serious crime, even though it's not the firearm that committed the offence. Each to their own.
    rugerman likes this.

Going back to the original question. If OP has no license and his firearms are with someone who does have a license then that is fine. If the OP wants to sell one of his rifles to another person this is also fine with ONE proviso- the firearm itself MUST stay within possession of a licensed firearms holder. So OP can sell- purchaser pays OP and LFAO who is looking after OPs firearms hands the gun over to purchaser. OP will be able to handle and hand over IF he is under the immediate supervision of either of the LFAO present.

As for "owning" firearms without a license. You can own firearms without a license but they cannot be in your possession- they must be in possession of an LFAO. You are considered a non licensed person until you prove you have a license.

For example, some years ago, a younger relative of mine purchased his first centrefire from a shop 6 weeks shy of his 16th birthday. The rifle was his - receipted as proof of ownership, but the shop held the rifle in storage for him until his FAL arrived and he was able to collect. My understanding of the legal definition is that even though the OP has given his guns to an LFAO for storage while he awaits his renewal, by law the firearms are still his by ownership- he just is not allowed to be in possession of them.
    308 and Bol Tackshin like this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

perfect example of why all but one of my family members (to young for another month) are licenced and the periods are staggered .
    No need for my rifles to leave the house as they are in possession of one of the other FAL holders in the house should my licence expire whilst waiting for renewal .
    That's my logic anyway , but don't see how the police can argue with that .
    born to hunt - forced to work

Gone but not forgotten
    Depends if you know the combo to the safe, or know where the keys are...