Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Another dog question

northdude

Another dog question

So we have an older dog whos sole purpose now seems to be an annoying cnut. He just gets in you way all the time any time we are out side it seems he will go out of his way to get in your way. If you are walking around he will come along and walk slowly in front of you or stop in front of you or slows down and fuks around so you cant get past him. I know hes not deaf so whats up with that...

Sounds like it wants attention? Mine does similar things if i’m outside as well

northdude
    He gets heaps

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    He gets heaps
    So does mine but he’ll still mooch around and be a pain in the arse looking for more. But otherwise, no idea.
    northdude likes this.

Want you to take him hunting.
    northdude likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Banned
    Shit suggestion sorry but your dog may not be well.
    Partners dog got real "clingy" when it got cancer.
    Wouldn't let her out of sight and would be right by her all the time if she could

northdude
    To be honest his time is running out hes not in good shape but dont feel hes ready for the big sleep yet

teach ya right for owning a bichon
    northdude likes this.

My dog became like this, he was old full of arthritis and the vet said it was probably dementia, became clingy and wanted to be close all the time. Got the big sleep last week
    northdude likes this.

I just think it's something they do when they get old. Had a lab that almost made 16 that was like that. We reckoned it may have something to Zach losing his sight and hearing. Must be pretty terrifying for them so they stick close to feel protected maybe?
    Pengy, 257weatherby and mimms2 like this.

He might be going blind. They hide it amazingly well and rely mainly on their sense of smell. A good test is to drop a small piece of tissue in front of him ( about 1m away ) and see if he looks at it as it's falling.
    I hope you don't get old Mimms or it sounds like you might be in for a kicking at the rest home.

A young dog who hasn't learnt the rules yet and accepted his place in the pack, yes make him get out of the way by walking through him. But an old dog who knows where he fits in is a different story. As mentioned, he may be sick, or going blind.
    Last edited by rugerman; 21-12-2020 at 04:01 PM.

we lost our lab/waimerana during the great lockdown of 2020 similar thing .....banging into shit being clingy with the mrs she would look at us but it was like she was away with the fairies .....then she stopped showing an interest in food......now you know theres something wrong when a lab or lab mix goes off her food......she was riddled with cancer the vet thought it may have got in her brain .

northdude
    this guy is old 14 i inherited him from a previous relationship when owner was just going to abandon him. has not in a good way as far as hips go and hes starting to crap before he can get somewhere which is a bit gross lucky hes not an inside dog. Kind of makes you think sleep time but we don't think its quite that time yet his eyes are still full of life quite human to look at he sees us off at the gate every morning and is waiting there for us when we get home and always comes up and has a talk to you hes got bearded collie in him. He seems to be able to see as you can throw him things and he can catch them. Maybe he knows time might be running out so that's why hes doing this

northdude
    im surprised hes actually lasting this long

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    To be honest his time is running out hes not in good shape but dont feel hes ready for the big sleep yet
    I hear what you are saying mate, we had to make "that" decision a few weeks ago.........actually Chester made the decision himself.

Chester's eyesight was really poor at the end but he still managed to walk with us but would often bump his head into my hand or move a little in front then stop and wait. That said he still found a pheasant on his last walk with us!!

Enjoy what time you have left. My boy rests in his box not 3m from my seat in his "Sunny Spot"
    rugerman, northdude and Micky Duck like this.