Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: FAL renewal

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Pengy I would have thought you would know enough fellahs in the Nelson area that know you to give them a referee a week for the next year.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    Pengy I would have thought you would know enough fellahs in the Nelson area that know you to give them a referee a week for the next year.
    Maybe so, but the form asked for a spouse or next of kin etc etc
    Either way, all is good. The fao met me at the gate 2.5 kms away and didn't bother doing the hard yards to inspect my security
    Beaker likes this.
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Bullshit. What about us.
    Well @Shearer you are a bit on the short side! And do come from the other island so I guess with a bit of DNA testing you most properly are kin to the hermit on the hill!
    Shearer and rewa like this.
    Nil durum volenti !!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Well @Shearer you are a bit on the short side! And do come from the other island so I guess with a bit of DNA testing you most properly are kin to the hermit on the hill!
    Haha. Yeah. We do have that in common @stingray. I think he shares your hair follicle gene though.
    stingray, Pengy and ROKTOY like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Last time I talked to our Local AO, it was made pretty clear that he didnt have much of a sense of humour, and if he said "it" was the-law, then "it" was, regardless of what any Statutes said.... So, is it actually legal to leave a magazine in a secured rifle ? (bolt-action and empty mag with bolt secured separately )

@rewa well what do you do if you have an old school bolt action with just a hinged floorplate or even one of the few with a blind floorplate?
    you cant remove them so what difference does it make for a mag? At worst it would be a single shot but if you have the bolt secured then it doesn't matter.
    What about semi and pumps? Do they make us take out the trigger group (try that on my browning A5-aint gonna happen) or maybe a barrel?
    Not possible on the rifles but maybe the trigger groups on some of them.
    What about my rossi 92-cant do jack to that-trigger mag or nothing. same for all the lever 3030's around
    I know this doesn't help but I reckon all of those scenarios aren't covered in the act-it would be about secure and safe storage.
    His interpretation guaranteed but if you have a removable mag it is easy to do. I always used to take them out of the 22's and have them separate.

Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    Last time I talked to our Local AO, it was made pretty clear that he didnt have much of a sense of humour, and if he said "it" was the-law, then "it" was, regardless of what any Statutes said.... So, is it actually legal to leave a magazine in a secured rifle ? (bolt-action and empty mag with bolt secured separately )
    From the horses mouth, the Arms Regulations 1992:

Quote Originally Posted by Arms Regulations 1992
    Every firearms licence shall be subject to the following conditions:

(a)the holder shall not put a firearm in such a place that a young child has ready access to it:

(b)the holder, where he or she has both a firearm and ammunition for it in his or her possession, either—
    (i)shall take reasonable steps to ensure that the ammunition is not stored in such a way that a person who obtains access to the firearm also obtains access to the ammunition; or
    (ii)shall ensure that, where the ammunition is stored with the firearm, the firearm is not capable of being discharged:

(c)the holder shall take reasonable steps to ensure that any firearm in the holder’s possession is secured against theft:

(d)the holder shall, where he or she has possession of a firearm that is—
    (i)a flare pistol; or
    (ii)a humane killer; or
    (iii)a stock marking pistol,—

keep it in a locked container, except where it is under the holder’s immediate and personal supervision.

(2)On and after 1 July 1993 the reasonable steps required by subclause (1)(c) shall include—

(a)keeping on the holder’s premises—
    (i)a lockable cabinet, container, or receptacle of stout construction in which firearms may be stored; or
    (ii)a lockable steel and concrete strongroom in which firearms may be stored; or
    (iii)a display cabinet or rack in which firearms may be immobilised and locked so that none of them may be fired; and

(b)keeping locked or immobilised and locked in the cabinet, container, receptacle, strongroom, display cabinet, or rack required by paragraph (a) every firearm which is on the holder’s premises and which is not under immediate and personal supervision of the holder or some other holder of a firearms licence; and

(c) ensuring that no firearm in the holder’s possession is left in a vehicle that is unattended.
    I used to store my magazines separately with the bolts, until the time I forgot one and spent an afternoon rabbit shooting having to single-feed a 22 with no magazine... I still store my bolts separately because it seems sensible even though it isn't legally required either, never forgotten one of those.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 04-10-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    rewa likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by rewa View Post
    Tube magazines, blind magazines etc. No legal requirement to remove the magazine. Though it's a good idea to remove the bolt in a bolt action rifle and secure separately, it's not a legal requirement either.

So what's the current turn around time for a renewal? Reckon if I apply 6months in advance things will go smoothly?

Going to be interesting getting interviews done on the island we don't have an arms officer....

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Maybe so, but the form asked for a spouse or next of kin etc etc
    Either way, all is good. The fao met me at the gate 2.5 kms away and didn't bother doing the hard yards to inspect my security
    Update.
    Seems the bloke who interviewed me was not the FAO, but simply the civvy vetter.
    I went to the cop shop to chase up yet again today, and was told that he has been instructed by the police to carry out an inspection of my security...which is what he should have done back in September
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Oh FFS,

I just went through the renewal process at the Munroe building in Nelson a week ago , they couldnt have been more helpful and it was quick and painless for myself and my wife who they interviewed.
    They said my second referee would be interviewed over the phone .
    I havent talked to him lately to see if they have rung him yet .
    I can tell you that compared to the Australian system it is a bit more complicated though , in OZ I recently renewed my licence online and had it confirmed within 24 hours , no interviews or personal questions .
    Butttttt...... originally getting the license was 10 times harder than it was in NZ .

Ken
    Pengy likes this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    So what's the current turn around time for a renewal? Reckon if I apply 6months in advance things will go smoothly?

Going to be interesting getting interviews done on the island we don't have an arms officer....
    I put my application in early Aug, my FAL was expiring mid Oct. But I was overseas from late Aug until late Sept (should have been better organised and done it earlier but got busy) and they didn't contact me about the interview until I was away, so that didn't happen until early Oct after I got back . Vetter said everything was fine, interviewed referees the same day and said she'd get the paperwork signed off straight away because the expiry date was pretty soon.

Early Dec I was wondering where it was and went to the cop shop to ask about it. Girl at the desk looks it up on the computer and says something along the lines of "oh thats strange, it says it was printed 28 Oct but it must have got lost somewhere, I'll get them to print another one and send it out..."

It finally arrived early Jan.

So 6 months should be ok.

On the positive said, the girl at the police station said not having the physical license wasn't a big issue because the computer said my license was valid, and if I wanted to buy ammo etc I could just get the gun shop to ring the station and they would confirm it was ok, and any cops that wanted to check it would just radio in for a check as well.
    223nut likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    they will give you a letter if your license is under renewal so you can go and buy ammo and carry with you when using a firearm.i did mine about 2 months before it expired and had no license for 4 months after expiry.
    Interesting, I asked if they could give me anything on paper in the interim while I was waiting for it to arrive and they said no.

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    Interesting, I asked if they could give me anything on paper in the interim while I was waiting for it to arrive and they said no.
    I got the same answer yesterday
    Forgotmaboltagain+1