Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Firearm Storage Requirements

Easy.

Tell the young one not to use their cellphone while driving unless it's a hands free kit.

If a Police car drove off a cliff, would they ?

News flash - people in authority are human and do shit that annoys others. Teachers, Police, Military, Politicians - the list is endless.

Not all teachers are pedophiles.
    Not all Police are rapists.
    Not all Military are gun toting bullies.
    Not all politicians are liars. Well ok, I lied about that last one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I dunno, you might be going hunting somewhere that is far enough away from home that you need to refuel on the way. Not much choice about stopping at a petrol station then is there.
    Well, to follow along with Kscott's super anal logic - you should have taken 20 fuel tanks with you just in case such a situation arose . But then when you stepped out of your car would you carry the firearm while refilling with one of your 20 tanks, or would you still be in breach of the law by leaving it in a locked car a few cm away?

I do get what he's trying to say, but agree with others that not every situation can be predicted. If the worst thing that ever happens is you have to leave a firearm locked in your car while you go in and pay for your fuel then you're probably doing a lot better than most. If it's a choice between that and carry your rifle in to the servo I think I know what most of us are going to do.

At the end of the day the law can't account for every single possible situation. Some common sense has to be used at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    ? I see an officer driving a marked car through a roundabout yakking on a cellphone at the same time I'm trying to convince a young one that talking on a phone and driving is bad - not a flash look at all. And, it's not a one off around here - I respect the job they do, but lead by example springs to mind. If it's urgent they have lights and sirens otherwise set the example and pull the hell over like the rest of the known world...
    Yeah unfortunately they are allowed to use the phone while driving while on the job. I don't agree with it either as it is still using up the same amount of concentration etc. Pretty silly really.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyP View Post
    .....At the end of the day the law can't account for every single possible situation. Some common sense has to be used at some point.
    The common sense thing to do if you had to make a quick petrol/diesel stop is to make sure any firearm is covered up and the car is locked. If you had to answer the call of nature then ask the staff to watch your vehicle in your absence.