Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree227Likes

Thread: First firearm data leak didn’t take long

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    You might get your horses into foal?
    What's with your sudden interest with horses and cows Maca?
    Now if you mention that donkey incident... whoops already said too much
    tetawa likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Well they are off to a bloody good start arent they-makes you wonder if they themselves are "fit and proper "or "responsible" to hold the information.

13 SEPTEMBER 2019
    Tighter gun laws for the safety of all
    Rt Hon Jacinda Ardern
    Hon Stuart Nash
    Prime Minister

Police
    The Government is taking steps to ensure gun ownership is restricted to responsible users, and to stop the flow of guns into the black market as legislation is introduced to Parliament today, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says.

Hmmm , I’m sitting on the fence like many others and watching , this is shit is not a confidence booster I have to say ……

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Now if you mention that donkey incident... whoops already said too much
    Maca’s antics that day brought new meaning to covering your ass. Ha ha ha ha
    7mmwsm and tetawa like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by PadLo View Post
    Well slap my ass and call me charlie.....
    Now, now. This is not THAT sort of forum.
    PadLo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/new-fi...AKF2IJXQE7O6I/

Basically firearms owners email address in the cc field rather than the bcc field
    "The newly created Firearms Safety Authority has found themselves in the gun after another inadvertent leak of the details of Auckland firearms owners.

In an email sent shortly after noon on Wednesday, seen by the Herald, Auckland Central Police District firearms staff emailed more than 100 gun owners to warn them their listed firearms licence address may not be up to date.

Their email addresses, in many cases including their first and last names, were visible in the cc field, rather than hidden in the bcc section."

The "leak" was inevitable when human error is an element.

To be fair if you don't already have at least one email address that doesn't give your first name and surname (and employers name) you should.
    You shouldn't use an email address that identifies you so easily.

I have my own internet domain and have many different email addresses from that.
    Example nzhs@<my domain>.<suffix>.nz
    If I get spam from this address I'd know the leak was from here.

Security starts with yourself and then anyone or any organisation that you give your details to.

That allows me to track spam - if it comes with a specific email address I know where the leak of the address came from.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    That is far too much admin for a lazy old bugger. Just the one Rushy@whogivesashit.now email address work for me. Ha hahaha
    erniec, Moa Hunter, flock and 3 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Why would anyone register their firearms now? Bugger that, I’ll be the last in the cue thanks. Might be a long cue I think.

Does anyone know how long the Canadian registration system was in force before they canned it?
    Sideshow likes this.

Slightly off topic but....I recently sold a firearm. The section of the form I had to fill in to give to the buyer (to give to the police) required my name, address, phone number, email address and firearms license number. This was all done online. I asked if I could give this direct to the police but that was not an option apparently.
    So I have just given these details to a total stranger. How the hell can that be a safe??? How do I, or the police, or anyone else know that person can be trusted with that information???? They could pass them on to anyone! On top of that I now have all of their details (name, FAL number etc).
    outlander likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bush Basher View Post
    Why would anyone register their firearms now? Bugger that, I’ll be the last in the cue thanks. Might be a long cue I think.

Does anyone know how long the Canadian registration system was in force before they canned it?
    It hasn't been canned. It has been modified. "Restricted and prohibited classification" fire arms still have to be individually registered.
    I think that might be an acceptable political and public landing point for our registration. But it will take time.
    Last edited by Tahr; 27-07-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Slightly off topic but....I recently sold a firearm. The section of the form I had to fill in to give to the buyer (to give to the police) required my name, address, phone number, email address and firearms license number. This was all done online. I asked if I could give this direct to the police but that was not an option apparently.
    So I have just given these details to a total stranger. How the hell can that be a safe??? How do I, or the police, or anyone else know that person can be trusted with that information???? They could pass them on to anyone! On top of that I now have all of their details (name, FAL number etc).
    That's the thing. We have got our tits in a tangle over the email "leak" 'cos its a convenient way to pour scorn on the system, but there are a myriad of ways naughty people can find out who has firearms. Almost all of them outside of the registration framework.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

I don't think it is so much the leak itself that is the problem, but the fact that the authorities who run it were adamant that there was no chance of that happening.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Banned
    Having been involved in the Auckland derelict Police building info breach - why should I now have any faith in the people who have just proved they are incapable of even the most basic data security????
    308, Moa Hunter, outlander and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    That's the thing. We have got our tits in a tangle over the email "leak" 'cos its a convenient way to pour scorn on the system, but there are a myriad of ways naughty people can find out who has firearms. Almost all of them outside of the registration framework.
    No, the people that swore black and blue that the info would be safe have now presided over a system that has had three major leaks of data in less than four years yet are still adamant that the registry containing ALL of this data not just snippets of it will be safe. On past performance how many warning events do we ignore before a MAJOR (and at this point inevitable) failure that can't be recovered occurs? The main point is that this contains personal private data like fixed addresses that can't easily be changed. In the event it's leaked, it doesn't matter that the person affected sods off to another house - that address is permanently marked on the leaked list as a "get your firearms here" address.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    It hasn't been canned. It has been modified. "Restricted and prohibited classification" fire arms still have to be individually registered.
    I think that might be an acceptable political and public landing point for our registration. But it will take time.
    Restricted firearms are already registered in nz arent they?
    BSA and outlander like this.