Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: Firearm Registry Data Questions and Answers

Firearm Registry Data Questions and Answers

So thinking something like this should possibly become a sticky thread with helpful information and no bitching.

1st you will need a RealMe login to access the database and input your information.
    This can take up to 15 day's so if you have an activating event you only have 30days to input the information meaning you lose half of this time.
    https://www.realme.govt.nz/how-apply/

2nd question I had for them was about custom rifles
    Phoned up and was told by the lady to use the make and model of the action as it has the serial
    Example: Rifle, Loanpeak Razor TI, #154854525, 375wsm, 3 shotmag.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Had RealMe login for years, ditto wife. Didn't have to provide a photo back them thank goodness. Use RealMe to access my pension and my registration.

Recently had an interesting one where my solicitor required various ID for anti money laundering screening. I supplied an old hand written (possibly ex Post Office way back) birth cerificate which was promptly rejected and I had to apply online (with money!) for a new one.
    When it arrived the only difference to my old one was the inclusion of my parents' details which was voluntary at any rate. And of course it looked more official (maybe created by one of those cerificate, university qualification apps :-) )
    Micky Duck likes this.

In case it helps:

"MyFirearms is unavailable until 24 June 2023"

"You only need a RealMe login.
    You do not need a RealMe verified identity"

They have also said you can phone the details through if you don't have a realme login, though I can't find the page at the moment

My question I posted elsewhere but didn't seem to get any interest on is around these "custom" serial numbers - If we are to make up our own serial numbers then what happens if 2 people choose the same number? Or if different manufacturers have unknowingly used the same serial number? I see 2 possible scenarios and they both have issues.

1 - If they force exclusive serial numbers then what happens if one manufacture has used the same serial number as another? Is one person going to have to modify their serial number to be able to comply, where does that then leave that person when it comes to a warranty claim where the manufacturer no longer accepts the rifles serial number because it has been tampered with?

2 - If they don't force exclusive serial numbers then what happens if one rifle is marked as "stolen or otherwise wanted by the police" but there are multiple rifles with that same serial number? I'm sure the system will end up with a way of tagging "wanted" serial numbers and gunsmiths or shops will be forced to confiscate anything they search that comes up as tagged which could lead to some pretty frustrated people that have done nothing wrong.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    My question I posted elsewhere but didn't seem to get any interest on is around these "custom" serial numbers - If we are to make up our own serial numbers then what happens if 2 people choose the same number? Or if different manufacturers have unknowingly used the same serial number? I see 2 possible scenarios and they both have issues.

1 - If they force exclusive serial numbers then what happens if one manufacture has used the same serial number as another? Is one person going to have to modify their serial number to be able to comply, where does that then leave that person when it comes to a warranty claim where the manufacturer no longer accepts the rifles serial number because it has been tampered with?

2 - If they don't force exclusive serial numbers then what happens if one rifle is marked as "stolen or otherwise wanted by the police" but there are multiple rifles with that same serial number? I'm sure the system will end up with a way of tagging "wanted" serial numbers and gunsmiths or shops will be forced to confiscate anything they search that comes up as tagged which could lead to some pretty frustrated people that have done nothing wrong.
    It is my belief that same serial numbers across two different firearms, with a different marque, model and calibre description will probably be ok. I have not had this confirmed but this is my suspicion...

And the chances that the two serial numbers be in the same street or even the same town ( besides Auckland;-) are slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    And the chances that the two serial numbers be in the same street or even the same town ( besides Auckland;-) are slim.
    You know how many times I've been called by NZ Police and Health Authorities about someone with same name as me, but born 2 days later, went to same Uni and lived in same suburb at the time.
    Police didn't even check my address before they called me to say they were coming around.
    I told them its a long drive from Christchurch.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Having firearms with the same serial number is more common than you'd think, especially considering that the original purpose was to ensure the bits that needed to be together (bolt and action) stayed together. The older design military firearms used a repeating block of numbers and letters that could be repeated several times in a year, which means that each factory might have produced 4 or 5 rifles of the same number each year. In those days, the firearms went into a rack and had a corresponding rack number that was stamped onto the firearm to make sure that they were accounted for. The use of a serial number in the context of identification is a fairly modern idea. How that's going to work in the modern world is something we are going to have to crash test dummy - it's the people interpreting the data that will make or break the system.
    Mintie and Micky Duck like this.

The Germans had the habit of only numbering their guns from 1-10,00, then starting again with a lower-case script letter (a, b, c, etc.). Lugers, Mausers, MP 40's, Maxims, etc. all have this system, further confused by each manufacturer having their own series of identical numbers. In most cases the lower-case letters are hard to read and not stamped in the same line as the numbers. Then you have the problem of mixed parts, barrels mismatched to receivers, etc. Add failing eyesight in our older members, dyslexia, and plain ignorance and you have the perfect recipe for a total SNAFU! Sounds like something only a government could dream up!
    johnd, kotuku, timattalon and 5 others like this.

Further to the above I just did some quick research on WW1 Luger numbers and there are more than 100 Lugers with the same serial number, over 3 manufacturers, so assuming the lower-case script number is correctly found and reordered, that reduces the identical numbers to about 30 when the manufacturer is correctly identified (and assuming a DWM toggle is not fitted to an Erfurt pistol). A very useful and definitive record system!

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    You know how many times I've been called by NZ Police and Health Authorities about someone with same name as me, but born 2 days later, went to same Uni and lived in same suburb at the time.
    Police didn't even check my address before they called me to say they were coming around.
    I told them its a long drive from Christchurch.
    I have a twin brother, we share the same DOB and have shared a few previous addresses. This has tied up many systems in knots and taken a lot of work to detangle over the years. Banks, Credit checks, Medical records, even F&G sent me my game bird license with his details printed on the card one year.
    dogmatix, Micky Duck and XR500 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I have a twin brother, we share the same DOB and have shared a few previous addresses. This has tied up many systems in knots and taken a lot of work to detangle over the years. Banks, Credit checks, Medical records, even F&G sent me my game bird license with his details printed on the card one year.
    An easy mistake to make bro...

Name:  Screenshot_20230620_063138_Google.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  128.9 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230620_063115_Google.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  95.1 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20230620_063030_Google.jpg
Views: 1147
Size:  188.6 KB
    tetawa, Nickoli, Cyclops and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Not if the person reads the facts and doesn't cherry pick the bits they want to build a case.
    My twin daughters have this issue frequently.
    Both got their trademe accounts deleted because of different name, same address, same date of birth. And trademe staff weren't interested in listening.
    One applied for a credit card and bank gave her a bad credit rating because she supposedly applied under a different name.
    Mind you, they did have fun with assignments back when they were at school.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Not if the person reads the facts and doesn't cherry pick the bits they want to build a case.
    My twin daughters have this issue frequently.
    Both got their trademe accounts deleted because of different name, same address, same date of birth. And trademe staff weren't interested in listening.
    One applied for a credit card and bank gave her a bad credit rating because she supposedly applied under a different name.
    Mind you, they did have fun with assignments back when they were at school.
    That would start to piss you off after a while. ID issuer - send photo identification. Wait that's the same photo as the other ID with a similar name - your prize is you are now CANCELLED! Theres only one of me and I get pissed off having to correct the spelling on my slightly unusual but still mainstreamish surname with like, everyone...
    Micky Duck likes this.

there are at least 7 people in NZ with same name as me..one lives just up the road and we used to get our DOC permits crossed up..he had one so I couldnt get one sort of thing...
    Ive had debt collectors turn up at my elderly parents place about a sterio system someone else had bought in Hamilton
    Hunting and Fishing in Rotorua is ALWAYS a hoot to go into and pull out my ID.... strangely enough the fella at counter last time never even twigged or hadnt looked at name.
    my father has same name as one of the NZFS cullers...no relation.
    75/15/10 black powder matters