Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Grey Kiwi
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 1 Post By 30.06king
  • 2 Post By 30.06king
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: New hard hitting rifle? Not for me!!

New hard hitting rifle? Not for me!!

Just in case anyone is lusting after a really hard hitter...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsJGJHkJolI&t=1123s

Looks like fun...but not for me.
    I dear say it would easily iron out a big Red, or 400lbs of angry, charging wild pork.
    30.06king likes this.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

It's amazing that some guys actually have rifles made in those massive calibres. I think in the main there are very few who actually use them regularly with the possible exception of some African PHs.
    Two problems for the average hunter with these big boomers. One is ,recoil. The thump is so punishing that shooting sessions become very brief, very quickly. The second is the cost of feeding these monsters. Factory ammo cost is stratospheric. Handloading cost is merely unbelievable. Also, sourcing components amidst the current shortages is a whole degree of difficulty greater than sourcing components for common calibres which is difficult enough.
    Yep, shooting a biggie looks like fun but I'm not sure it feels like fun. Biggest I've shot was a double rifle in .470NE Interesting and educational. I decided then and there that .375 H&H and Ruger were the biggest bores I wanted to use.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Could be a good toy if you made your own Black Powder, and cast your own bullets.
    That would be a tad milder to shoot...and lots of 'Boom, cough, cough'.
    But yeah, I'm 75 and am now 'delicate'. I bruise too easy, and likely cause some internal damage to want a gun like that.
    Artillery...landscape adjustment since 1300AD.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    Could be a good toy if you made your own Black Powder, and cast your own bullets.
    That would be a tad milder to shoot...and lots of 'Boom, cough, cough'.
    But yeah, I'm 75 and am now 'delicate'. I bruise too easy, and likely cause some internal damage to want a gun like that.
    I'm 65 now and getting delicate. Living with a few health niggles, still hunting but aware of the need for more caution these days.
    Yes, there are ways to lower running costs for big boomers. I have a couple of friends overseas who cast their own bullets. They have the means and time so good for them.
    Was interesting talking to a used gun salesman in one of the Cabelas USA stores a few years back ( Reno, Nevada IIRC ... ? ) Was looking around for potential new Left hand rifle at reasonable money. Some nice stuff on display. Not many of the seriously big calibres but several Doubles and some good Bolt Actions and all looked pretty much new to unfired. I asked the guy how the owners had kept them looking so new. Apparently a lot of heavy calibre buyers acquire the new toy, sight it in at the range, decide it's too much gun ( or never get to take it to Africa ) and stash it in the gun locker for years until they are too old to use it and it goes onto the used market. Sad really but seems to be the American way.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'm pretty sure this is a Tyrannosaur. They used one plus a .700 Nitro for "guest entertainment"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUeyoqq-Qmo

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a Tyrannosaur. They used one plus a .700 Nitro for "guest entertainment"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUeyoqq-Qmo
    Did you see the state of the glass door around the handle after that first shooters shot ? Ouch !
    The maniacal laughter your hear in the background is actually Saeed ( some of you will know to whom I refer ). Very nice guy with an unusual sense of humour. He finds these kinds of little stunts amusing. To reluctant shooters he has been known to demonstrate with a reduced load first before handing the rifle over to the unsuspecting victim sneakily loaded with a full charge round.
    I've been in that reloading room with the shooting tunnel. Impressive. Built under his house. He has a huge firearms collection. Claims he has shot them all. At the end of his driveway he has a little shop where he makes rifles and a CNC machine for making his own momometal bullets. Would love to make another visit. As to those big boomers all I can say is thank God he didn't invite me to shoot one.
    Grey Kiwi and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 30.06king View Post
    To reluctant shooters he has been known to demonstrate with a reduced load first before handing the rifle over to the unsuspecting victim sneakily loaded with a full charge round.
    Doesn't everyone do that😊
    Grey Kiwi and Micky Duck like this.