Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Staffnurse41
  • 1 Post By sig4x4
  • 2 Post By 20 Bore
  • 1 Post By sig4x4
  • 1 Post By GlennJ

Thread: New scope advice

New scope advice

Hi I'm looking at upgrading my scope and in particular looking towards a burris fullfield iv either the 2.5-10 or the 3-12 magnifications.

1st are the Burris scopes good?
    2nd I was looking at advice on the magnifications.
    If theres any other scopes under $1k to look at I'm open for suggestions

I mainly hunt north island terrain with a mixture of bush stalking and shooting across gullies

dont rule out a 3x9x40mm leupold freedom or something along similar lines...didnt like the 4x12 or 4.5x14 personally...just too little field of view up close...no issue with 3x9 across gullies you wont be under powered.
    NO4 and RUMPY like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Not sure about modern day quality but 20 years ago Burris was regarded as one of the better brands of American scopes.
    Agree with @Micky Duck, the lower magnification is a lot better if you ever hunt in the bush.

No experience with the Burris sorry. Can recommend you consider a VX-3HD 3.5-10X40 CDS-ZL 30MM DUPLEX for $999.
    I had the V3-3i and didn’t like it at all for my eyes so when my son asked for one of these for the low weight and zero lock dialling I was hesitant but went in and had a look. What a great scope for the money, good bright glass with clear view, very easy to sight in and of course comes with a free CDS voucher.
    I noticed the prices are higher in some places - picked up mine in Custom Guns - Greg is great to deal with.
    If you are like me and google it you will find on the main Leupold website that the specs for this model say 1 inch tube but definitely 30mm tube.
    Huntn likes this.

i have at the moment 11 burris scopes in my care . i love the e1 , have several of them in 3-9 and 4.5-14 and 6.5-20 .have also ff2 in 3-9 and 4.5-14 .and a new ff4 4-16. my fav is the e1 in 4.5-14 . lovely fine reticle ( if you like fine rets). have 1 on my 223 that regularly shoots rabbits at 300mtrs using the bdc,and another on my 17hmr that takes the bunnys out to 150mtrs plus . ff2 has a thicker reticle if that suits your eyes. my son cant use the e1 but loves the ff2 as he wears glasses and struggles with the fine e1 ret. not a fan of the ff4 which are now made in china. the one i have is a 4-16x50 with illuminated ret. has a longer eye relief than the others which i dont like. and is physically a bit bigger. i have had 1 issue with one scope about 8 yrs ago . burris have the best warrantee imo hands down . they say " doesnt matter where you bought it from,or whats wrong ( as long as its not intentinal damage) get it to us and we will sort ". worked for me .had one that i bought second hand from the yellow site that i could not get it to zero. sent it to them with a bit of a spiel then in about 3 weeks had a brand new arrive at no charge to me . i am not one eyed as i have had leupolds,redfields bushnells and zeiss scopes in the past . still have 3 zeisses as they are lovely scopes as well. my 2 cents worth go for it def ff2 or e1 over ff4 cheers sig
    Micky Duck likes this.

My suggestion would be to have a look and see if the shape of the Burris scope will fit your rifle (if you haven't purchased rings yet, then this isn't as big a problem).

The issue I encountered is that the Burris has a larger eye piece, where most scopes seem to taper down to a zoom ring, Burris stays the same diameter. This can cause an issue with the bolt handle (knob) hitting the eyepiece as it did on my cz452. This probably isn't an issue on a large centerfire but something to keep in mind.

Not hating on Burris, I'm on my third and think for the price they are a really good scope. Their forever warranty is great, I got a Burris with a rifle purchase and years later a lens came loose, they replaced the scope with a brand new one.

Have a look at the images on scope dimensions Burris vs Leupold and you'll get what I mean
    Burris Fullfield 4 2.5x10:
    Name:  burris fullfield 4.png
Views: 269
Size:  109.4 KB
    Leupy VX Freedom 3x9:
    Name:  leupy freedom.png
Views: 269
Size:  173.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    erniec and Micky Duck like this.

i found that the cz bolt throw is quite high compared to other rifles and this had a big impact on what rings i had to use to get the bolt to clear the scope
    Philipo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 20 Bore View Post
    My suggestion would be to have a look and see if the shape of the Burris scope will fit your rifle (if you haven't purchased rings yet, then this isn't as big a problem).

The issue I encountered is that the Burris has a larger eye piece, where most scopes seem to taper down to a zoom ring, Burris stays the same diameter. This can cause an issue with the bolt handle (knob) hitting the eyepiece as it did on my cz452. This probably isn't an issue on a large centerfire but something to keep in mind.

Not hating on Burris, I'm on my third and think for the price they are a really good scope. Their forever warranty is great, I got a Burris with a rifle purchase and years later a lens came loose, they replaced the scope with a brand new one.

Have a look at the images on scope dimensions Burris vs Leupold and you'll get what I mean
    Burris Fullfield 4 2.5x10:
    Attachment 228381
    Leupy VX Freedom 3x9:
    Attachment 228386
    Thanks for the replies. The dimensions are also something to look at because ive currently got a 50mm objective but its too high for my cheek weld. Im resting my lower jaw on the stock to see through the stock

Broncos have the burris signature 2-10x40 for $999 which would be a step up from the fullfield. Never owned one but look at it a few times and thought it was a great little scope to cover most hunting.

I run the VX3 HD 2.5-8x36 which is pretty damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennJ View Post
    Thanks for the replies. The dimensions are also something to look at because ive currently got a 50mm objective but its too high for my cheek weld. Im resting my lower jaw on the stock to see through the stock
    changing scope wont fix that unless you change the mounts to lower set...the centre of scope will still be at same height otherwise.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    changing scope wont fix that unless you change the mounts to lower set...the centre of scope will still be at same height otherwise.
    I meant a smaller scope so I can put lower rings. The 50mm objective scope is on high rings and is sitting only a couple of mm above the barrel haha
    Micky Duck likes this.