Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree231Likes

Thread: Firearm Registry Data Questions and Answers

DPT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    Here it is ...!

Attachment 227191
    The arms items needing to be registered, differ from the definition of arms items in the act.

Name:  IMG_3109.jpeg
Views: 498
Size:  305.8 KB

DPT
    Major firearm part.

Name:  IMG_3110.jpeg
Views: 460
Size:  329.8 KB

It doesn't matter what the law says, it matters how the police interpret it & chose to enforce it

Quote Originally Posted by DPT View Post
    The arms items needing to be registered, differ from the definition of arms items in the act.

Attachment 227202
    There you go people who were wondering about damaged or non working firearms

So not barrels then by the looks.
    Pretty much action related

My personal opinion - we should not draw attention to the inconsistencies..essentially the prudent approach is to refer to the least restrictive wording or interpretation in any of the official info…

One of the certainties of policy is that where there is ambiguity, it will be replaced by complexity.
    Ranger 888, csmiffy and RV1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Just went through this conversation with the 0800 call center staff.

Was planning on getting my rifle bedded, and asked if supplying my firearm to the gunsmith was a triggering event e.g. supplying an arms item. His answer no as it was a temporary. I then said where is that stated on the website. He pointed me to this section:
    Attachment 227160
    I then pointed out that that section clearly states 'once you have registered your arms' so not applicable if I haven't registered anything yet.

My reading is that any receiving or supplying in this case is a triggering event regardless of whom it may go to (Licenced Firearm Owner or dealer/gunshop for works etc). The website seems to back this up.
    Attachment 227156

He couldn't definitively answer the question, about 'supply' and as that isn't defined anywhere, I'm awaiting a call back from his supervisor to confirm what it all means. I am not holding my breath on the call back.

My 2c view on the above is that if at anytime before I have registered my firearms, I supply an 'arms item' to another person (be that a mate borrowing a rifle for a hunting weekend, or a gunsmith bedding, re-crowning, suppressor fitting, etc) and it is out of my possession then that is a triggering event - happy to be proved wrong, but the website seems to suggest I'm right.

EDIT:

Did a bit more digging and found this in the Arms Legislation Act 2020, which I think clarifies it (if only their website made it clear!)
    Attachment 227169
    Why would the regulator, who should know the law and regulations, make it clear to those they are regulating?
    The good thing about ambiguity is they can apply any meaning to it they want and be correct in their minds.

Their aim seems to be to mislead LFO's and get as many firearms registered as soon as possible so they can claim it a success and they have data in the database so they can see if it works and improve it as they see fit.

Why would you register any firearm if you haven't triggered an event to cause you to I am unsure, at present the database is beta 1.0 in 2 years time it will most likely be trial ver 5.5 and by 2028 it will probably be trial ver 25.9 I think I'd rather wait and enter my data when they have ironed most of the bugs out of it.
    Also in 2028 if they only have 30% of the firearms owners that have registered their firearms I would think they would go into panic mode and possibly open up different processes to register your firearms.

What happens if your wife, who has a FL but doesn't own any firearms buys ammunition, what does she have to register?
    csmiffy and Finnwolf like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 19Badger View Post

What happens if your wife, who has a FL but doesn't own any firearms buys ammunition, what does she have to register?
    Not an issue until June 24 2025

Quote Originally Posted by 19Badger View Post

Bloody good point!
    ‘Many of my bullets have died in vain’

why would she have to register ANYTHING????...at this point in time you dont need a firearm registered to your name to enable you to purchase ammunition for it..... maybe in theory for a handgun..but not for longarms.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I bought a similar point up before. You only have one firearm and you sell it what is there to register?

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    I bought a similar point up before. You only have one firearm and you sell it what is there to register?

I'm guessing you'd only have to register the fact that you sold it.
    199p likes this.

I do wonder how many private sales of arms & ammo would be registered and therefore be trigger events.

Quote Originally Posted by blip View Post
    I think there is a declaration of not owning anything for the time?
    dannyb likes this.