Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: The FSA are chasing down the firearms of the deceased

The FSA are chasing down the firearms of the deceased

So yesterday I get a call from a lady at the FSA, offering me condolences for the passing of my grandfather earlier in the year. She then went on to ask the whereabouts of his firearms, explaining that they wish to know that they are in the hands of appropriately licensed persons.

I informed her not to worry, that they are indeed the possession of licensed individuals.

She then pressed for the information of what the firearms are, and the identities of said individuals.

I replied politely that those individuals, whomever they may be, will register them in due course when they have an activating event.

She further insisted to know, what, where and who.

I told her that I am not obliged to provide that information.

The conversation ended there, and I was told they would be in touch if they needed further information.

Later that day I get this email :

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me today regarding your late grandfather xxxx xxxxx XXXXXX. Please accept our condolences for your loss.

This email is to confirm you that you are required to provide contact details of the person/s that are in possession of xxxxxx firearms.

As the firearms were distributed prior to June 24th, this will not become an activating circumstance so you are not required to register these, however we do need confirmation of who has taken possession of your grandfathers’ firearms and confirmation they have current firearms licences, Police must ensure that firearms licence holders continually comply with the Arms Act 1983 to ensure personal and public safety.

I appreciate your time on this.

Despite the acknowledgement that the firearms currently do not require registration, they are insisting that I provide this information. For the moment, I am not going to reply, but I suspect there will be a follow up email or phone call soon enough.

I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this situation, regarding the passing of a family member so close to the introduction of registration and creation of the FSA.

Are you the executor of his estate, or were named in his will as receiving them?
    BSA likes this.

There are a few prohibited firearms turning up in deceased estates from people who didn't realise their old 22 with 11 shot tube was actually an illegal assault rifle, and a few BAR and mini14s etc, could be they are checking for these.
    Beetroot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    Are you the executor of his estate, or were named in his will as receiving them?
    No, none of those.
    I assume they contacted me because I'm the only one in the family who has initiated a 'myfirearms' account on the FSA database, although I haven't registered any firearms. That's my only theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Waimata View Post
    There are a few prohibited firearms turning up in deceased estates from people who didn't realise their old 22 with 11 shot tube was actually an illegal assault rifle, and a few BAR and mini14s etc, could be they are checking for these.
    Yes, I understand they will have a curiosity about the what, where and who... But whatever their reasons or intent may be, I don't believe there is any legal obligation under the act for me to supply personal details of other LFO's, and won't be doing so unless I'm proved to be wrong in my understanding of the legislation.
    308, matto1234, 40mm and 3 others like this.

Banned
    If it is not an activating event then they dont have any right to that information. Grandad may well have disposed of his fireams before he died , but retained his licence . That is none of their business and you did right to decline their request.

More people should dig their toes in and abide by the rules , not the wants.

90% of people will answer a question from a person in authority, even if there is no legal grounds for this to be compelled to be suppled.

Grandad died early in the year - soooo - he held a firearms licence at death - as at 24th June he held no firearms - pre this date there was no requirement to keep details of where the firearms went.

You did correct in not answering this question - in a way, it could be impossible for you to answer.

Interestingly going forward, whilst there is a requirement to track/register firearms, many many will simply "disappear", as they probably always have done.
    Maca49 and Moa Hunter like this.

Ask them/her/she/he/him/it - politely & respectfully - to quote the authority (legislative act & section) which requires you to provide this information.

Ask them/her/she/he/him/it for their name, their police id (if any) contact details and the name & details for their supervisor.
    When asked why you need this information tell them that your lawyer requires this information when to offer you advice about answering the question.

See what the reaction is to your information requests is - and let us know the result.
    Maca49, 308, BSA and 10 others like this.

I will Cyclops. I posted this up just to share and update things going with the FSA and LFOs out there in the community.

If he sold them privately before his passing they have no right to ask
    timattalon, Moa Hunter and csmiffy like this.

Is anyone else pleasantly surprised the FSA is actually chasing deceased estates up regardless if they have the statutory authority to compel you to answer. Couldn't imagine NZPOL doing it.
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

NO comment after u stated your name and address supply any needed license thats it.
    Rule 1 when dealing with any authority, if you don't say anything - they cant use it against you.

I would probably respond with a polite -
    "
    I was not the executor of the will.
    Please follow up with the appropriate department.
    Sincerely

You can copy that ;p
    Maca49 and BSA like this.

I really don't want to wade into the politics of things at the moment. Or ever.
    I'd rather live in truth light and love.
    But here we are anyway.

"Police must ensure that firearms licence holders continually comply with the Arms Act 1983 to ensure personal and public safety."

...Are you "police"? ... if not, then it is not your job to ensure firearms license holders continuously comply blah blah blah

(Never mind " the police's" many and glaring shortcomings in achieving the aforesaid)

Whether legislated or not, it has been good advice to ensure transfer/disposal, or appropriate arrangement, of your firearms before you die.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Is anyone else pleasantly surprised the FSA is actually chasing deceased estates up regardless if they have the statutory authority to compel you to answer. Couldn't imagine NZPOL doing it.
    When my father passed away many years ago the police showed up the next day to very politely ask what the story was.
    Russian 22. likes this.

The more cynical side of me would suggest "the police's" time would be better spent preventing the criminal use of firearms "to ensure public safety" But what would I know.