Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: The FSA are chasing down the firearms of the deceased

Well you could've lied through your teeth and said he sold them before he passed. Sorry but have no idea if he wrote down the license number of the buyer but knowing him he wouldn't sell to someone unlicensed.
    Bye bye.
    This is a bit like the wanky tactics IRD used to do.
    Play by the letter of the law happy to send people broke.
    Sounds like some of them have a bit of passion for the project and are pushing the point to see if people comply

Both my son and myself got a call regarding firearms couple of months ago after the Hawkes Bay floods and wanted to know where the firearms were, they were told at a friend who has a license, came as a bit of a surprise, it's his house but my license is also tied to it

Quote Originally Posted by wazza56 View Post
    Both my son and myself got a call regarding firearms couple of months ago after the Hawkes Bay floods and wanted to know where the firearms were, they were told at a friend who has a license, came as a bit of a surprise, it's his house but my license is also tied to it
    Wonder what the response would be if you said locked in my safe, under three meters of silt, and left it at that.
    blip likes this.
    Overkill is still dead.

I hold firearms for my step son who let his licence lapse for personal reasons, this was nearly 2 years ago, he had to give details of who has his firearms and I then got a call from the then arms office to confirm I have them.

Nephew (31) who recently got his FAL has firearms here as due to mental health issues with a family member he is not allowed them at his address, same thing I got a call about it. I had also just moved house which for me was activating event, it got quite complicated for a few weeks but now everything is on the register in my name asI didn't have a choice.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Happy Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by wazza56 View Post
    Not as bad as a back country farmer got a visit from the police after Gabrielle suggesting he surrender his firearms to the police for safe keeping. His polite response is my farm is not flooded neither is my gun safe and their are no firearms issues. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there.
    No good names left likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TeRei View Post
    Not as bad as a back country farmer got a visit from the police after Gabrielle suggesting he surrender his firearms to the police for safe keeping. His polite response is my farm is not flooded neither is my gun safe and their are no firearms issues. It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get there.
    How wonderfully welfare conscious of the Police! I bet they would have dispatched at least one Armed Constable forthwith should the need have arisen for a firearm on the Farmers property.

Surely no?
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

I find it heartening that the FSA are following up.

Everyone has the right to ask the question, but they must accept that you aren't obliged to answer. However, implying a legal obligation where none exists is questionable, if not illegal, behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    I find it heartening that the FSA are following up.

Everyone has the right to ask the question, but they must accept that you aren't obliged to answer. However, implying a legal obligation where none exists is questionable, if not illegal, behavior.
    I think underhanded and immoral also. Why would you trample peoples rights like this?? Because there's no repercussions from their end.

They are probably being brain washed into the 'keeping the community safe ' line of horse shit that get trotted out regularly.

Well, the government did manage to pass a new Act today (last sitting day for Parliament before the elections) in less than 2 hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Well, the government did manage to pass a new Act today (last sitting day for Parliament before the elections) in less than 2 hours...
    Pay increase??
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Pay increase??
    Haha gold! I think it was actually the 'previously unreported' Corrections amendment which allowed them to retrospectively enforce residential supervision orders on high-risk individuals that for whatever reason were deemed to be needing continuous supervision after release. A previous Supreme Court cancelled the orders as not legally enforceable, and this basically let a few less than 40 high-risk-classification ex-prisioners wander off from the residential supervision facilities they were required to reside at stopping supervision, and it was quietly tided up with an Amendment before anyone found out.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    “Er, I’m sorry but I am not responsible for my grand father’s affairs. Fuck you very much”
    BSA, outlander, Bert 71 and 1 others like this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by -BW- View Post
    So yesterday I get a call from a lady at the FSA, offering me condolences for the passing of my grandfather earlier in the year. She then went on to ask the whereabouts of his firearms, explaining that they wish to know that they are in the hands of appropriately licensed persons.

I informed her not to worry, that they are indeed the possession of licensed individuals.

She then pressed for the information of what the firearms are, and the identities of said individuals.

I replied politely that those individuals, whomever they may be, will register them in due course when they have an activating event.

She further insisted to know, what, where and who.

I told her that I am not obliged to provide that information.

The conversation ended there, and I was told they would be in touch if they needed further information.

Later that day I get this email :

Thank you for taking the time to talk to me today regarding your late grandfather xxxx xxxxx XXXXXX. Please accept our condolences for your loss.

This email is to confirm you that you are required to provide contact details of the person/s that are in possession of xxxxxx firearms.

As the firearms were distributed prior to June 24th, this will not become an activating circumstance so you are not required to register these, however we do need confirmation of who has taken possession of your grandfathers’ firearms and confirmation they have current firearms licences, Police must ensure that firearms licence holders continually comply with the Arms Act 1983 to ensure personal and public safety.

I appreciate your time on this.

Despite the acknowledgement that the firearms currently do not require registration, they are insisting that I provide this information. For the moment, I am not going to reply, but I suspect there will be a follow up email or phone call soon enough.

I'm not sure if anyone else has encountered this situation, regarding the passing of a family member so close to the introduction of registration and creation of the FSA.
    BW, thanks for making us aware of this. And I wonder if the FSA follows up with the family whenever a gang leader in Auckland is fatally shot, as happens almost weekly?
    outlander and RV1 like this.

Id just say thank you for your concern. Next time Im talking to grandad ill ask him and get back to you. Have a nice day.
    Geeze Im getting polite in my old age
    Bert 71 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Pay increase??
    OMG, the useless B'stards are due for a pay rise... Disgusting.

I think rather than following up so intently with the family members of newly departed, how about where firearms licenses lapse? That's a black hole that never got filled if I recall. Molenaar in Napier and a lot of others were in this category.