Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: going to uni

going to uni

Hey all, im a year 13 at highs chool and will be looking at going to university next year which comes with some questions about firearms licensing etc. firstly would i need to change my address while at uni. this question was one that came up when i did my interview but im wanting different opinions to see whats best.

my second question is how difficult and what do you have to do when your first renewal comes up at the end of 5 years which is when i will be at uni.

any advice will be grateful as im trying to get my preparation especially with how slow the police are nowadays.
    slk12 likes this.

Yes you should change your address while at uni, unless you leave your guns at home, obviously with someone in the house who is licensed.
    It's a pain in the butt, especially if you're 1st year halls of residence, then flatting and may go into a new flat each year too
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Lincoln halls of residence had a lock up available for students though unsure if they still offer that. My guess is most unis wouldn’t offer that as left leaning as most are. Both years flatting landlords had no problems with me fixing down my gun safe as long as I remediated it at the end. Never had the cops check in but can’t see any issues so long as you play by the book.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MB
    Surely the easiest (and compliant) thing to do is leave the guns at home and not change the registered address. You might be temporarily more interested in other things while at uni and it would be a load of hassle changing address every year.
    TeRei, 6x47, Fatberg and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Surely the easiest (and compliant) thing to do is leave the guns at home and not change the registered address. You might be temporarily more interested in other things while at uni and it would be a load of hassle changing address every year.
    Haha, in my first year at uni I spent over half the year hunting. Three weeks straight on Lake Ellesmere hunting ducks too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    7mmwsm, rugerman, Maca49 and 5 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

The most important thing to remember is if you move addresses you have to tell the police, it doesn't matter if you actually move your firearms.

The needed security becomes the issue, sounds like Lincoln halls have/had some. When I was at Dunedin 5 years back they had storage at the proctors office. You had to sign your firearms in/out during office hours though which didn't fit that well with hunting hours.

I'd suggest talking to unis/halls and the arms office where you're thinking of going as at the end of the day they're making the rules. Hopefully they'll have seen the same situation before and have some helpful ideas too.

Pretty sure Lincoln Uni no longer has lock up for rifles.

The Lincoln Uni armoury was closed a few years ago.

hills are steeper now
    If you are trying to get your license then if you change your legal address - as evidenced by the electoral roll and bank address - then you will need to have a safe at that address, not possible in hostels, nor in many flats so - you would not get a license. As you already have your license, not sure how that plays out. If you change your legal address then you must inform the Police and they may then expect you to have a safe at that address. I don't know what the legal definition is of changing address..... But recently I know that someone was advised not to change their legal address in this scenario, because it would have given rise to the need for a safe at a hostel, which won't happen.

Those u bolt brackets that you mount in a cupboard is good. Most landlords should be happy for you to put that in acupboard.

If you are in UNi halls and not bring a rifle and going home for summer etc I would not change address.

My son at Akl Uni got his licence last year and even through he was not going to have a rifle at his unit they insisted that he demonstrate lockup facilities.
    2x 8mm eye bolts and a cable with padlock in a wardrobe was acceptable. Plus a small lock box for nonexistant bolt, mag & ammo
    Z

inform the police

they get very pissy if you dont and they find out you have moved
    angry letter and all

dont inform your landlord just secure your safe and fix the wall properly on leaving
    I havent had a landlord pull on my safe yet but the coppers that check sure do

Where it gets interesting is what actually constitutes 'permanently moving addresses'? I have a couple of guys that are getting flown into the part of country where they are working on Monday morning, and the reverse on Friday avo as part of their contract. I would suspect for a lot of people going to uni and especially the halls in the first year would be a similar sort of thing, in effect you have two addresses.

Gets tricky
    Older Son at uni came home every break for work etc and stayed on the same electoral role as us.
    Other son stays in AKL full time while at uni. (thats probably why they insisted on him have security.
    Z

Shouldnt be much of a problem if common sense is applied.

Check the exact wording and you’ll probably find you have to inform police of substantial changes of where you mostly live.

Most likely you dont yet have to define who owns each gun and as long as its in care of a licenced owner it will be OK. Eg leave any youre not going to use back at home. Having them stored with a nearby mate in your uni town in compliant safe etc will be OK too. Most convenient will be to set up compliant storage at your flat. Personally id just bolt / coach screw a safe in, out of sight , and fill the holes when I leave.

Note that when applying for a licence you need to list all who have access to the house so it would be much better not to apply for or renew a licence from flatting.

Remember to be squeaky clean with transport too. A lockable hard case , secure ammo box and and big chain will demonstrate good faith with the law and also likely save your equipment from being stolen or involved in an accident.

Check your insurance covers all valuables like laptop and sports equipment at the halls or flat.