Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How do you carry your rifle?

How do you carry your rifle?

Just wondering how everyone carries their rifle?

Bullet up the chamber bolt half cocked?
    Bullet up the chamber, bolt down. safety on?
    Empty chamber with the bolt closed?
    Dead bolt on live round (cringe)

Personally i use the half cock method, but maybe it isn't suitable. If everyone walks around with half cock it seems that the mindset is to be prepared for a quick reflex shot, maybe without identifying your target fully. Maybe it should be mandatory to carry all firearms on an empty chamber when hunting which could result in a few extra seconds to identify the target better. Just an idea and not implying that half cock is the reason why people are getting shot.

An empty chamber means that the hunter takes his eye from the game to make sure that a round is going in the chamber...time and eye better spent on identification. When I hunt with lever gun I have one up the spout and hammer forward. With my bolt action I have one up the spout and bolt closed, safety on. I never trigger test safety when loaded. I never put finger inside guard or release safety until I have identified target animal.
    Arced likes this.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Loaded, safety on
    1toeknee1 likes this.

Bush= generally chamber empty until i find fresh sign or know im coming up on a nice spot then il chamber a round close the bolt and open it fully(not half closed) then go into creeping Jesus mode, carrying like this with your hand around the bolt(to stop it sliding back and dropping the round) Is for me comfortable and natural, quick and silent to close.
    If I have to go threw a thick bit or round a bluff ect that round goes back in the mag check empty on closing and close with finger on trigger(so the bolt is harder to lift if caught on shit)
    I'm not saying dont use your pre tested safety its just how I was taught and is natural for me.
    Open country =empty camber until ready to fire.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    I carry a blaser so I have one chambered all the time while carrying it at the ready, it is totally safe until it is cocked manually. If it is sleeved on my back it is unloaded.

short answer .....with my hands. but seriously, dead bolt with unloaded
    BURN BABY BURN
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Normally its hanging on my left shoulder ,muzzle pointing down unloaded.
    Just a matter of rotating it across my body inside my out line & up to opposite shoulder.
    If you start moving it round out side your body line the movement is more easily seen .

When semi-ready either half bolt or half cocked depending on weather lever or bolt action ,
    dog generally lets me know when some thing handy .
    Gun control means using both hands

My quad carries mine,when walking with it unloaded.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    If I'm by myself and actively hunting, rifle will be chambered, safety on.
    If I'm with another chamber will be empty.
    I don't do 1/2 bolt, alone or with anybody else.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I only chamber a round when in the hunt zone. At all other times the chamber is empty. Once chambered the safety is on right up to the time I line up to take the shot.
    Feral likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Bolt closed on an empty chamber. And I check the chamber every so often.

I reckon it's better to carry it fail safe.

I took a tumble once in a slippery creek and while trying to make sure I didn't break my neck or arm as I was going over, my thumb hit the trigger. That empty chamber saved me having a negligent discharge...
    DAF, Feather or Shoot and Maca49 like this.

Just a question for all you shooting gurus and gun experts out there. As I am definetly not one! But isnt the safety just a mechinism (spring) ,please correct me if I am wrong. So with anything mechanical if you check it before you go hunting theres is a good chance it will work when you need it too but not a 100 % gurantee. I dont think I would be happy putting the safety of myself or others in a spring.

Walking around with a chambered round closed bolt and safety on.....

I walk with my rifle with a empty chamber, once in the hunting area I will chamber a round on a half cocked bolt.

I am of the undersatnding that is the safest way ? Apart from the obvious of a unchambered round?

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk660 View Post
    Just a question for all you shooting gurus and gun experts out there. As I am definetly not one! But isnt the safety just a mechinism (spring) ,please correct me if I am wrong. So with anything mechanical if you check it before you go hunting theres is a good chance it will work when you need it too but not a 100 % gurantee. I dont think I would be happy putting the safety of myself or others in a spring.

I walk with my rifle with a empty chamber, once in the hunting area I will chamber a round on a half cocked bolt.

I am of the undersatnding that is the safest way ? Apart from the obvious of a unchambered round?
    Half cock is not really a thing any more as most rifles these days cock on opening. therefore your half open bolt is fully cocked and could fire just by pulling the trigger on some rifles.
    open bolt or closed on tested safety if you must carry a round in the chamber
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mohawk660 View Post

I think you will find this the law, also it is illegal to have even a detachable mag loaded in your pack until you reach the hunting area!
    Last edited by Dougie; 09-09-2012 at 04:46 PM.
    Maca49 likes this.
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Half cock is not really a thing any more as most rifles these days cock on opening. therefore your half open bolt is fully cocked and could fire just by pulling the trigger on some rifles.
    open bolt or closed on tested safety if you must carry a round in the chamber
    Thanks VC for the info, I have an older style rifle. But will test it tonight to make sure. Cheers.