Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: How do you carry your rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Marlin .22lr I have has a awesome half cock
    Is your nick name Justin
    Spanners and R93 like this.
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

have never trusted a safety catch they are only mechanical and can fail......I carry my rifle with either the bolt closed on empty chamber whilst hunting open type country ie: hunting tahr or if bush stalking I usually carry rifle with one up the spout bolt open no chance of an accidental discharge that way. If using semi auto or shotgun I use the safety but firearm is always pointed in a safe direction........safety first....would rather miss the chance of shooting an animal than risk shooting a mate or other.
    Dundee likes this.
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Guys, can you pls clear up some of this terminology for me ?
    Dead bolt = pull trigger, then chamber round ?
    Half cock = chamber round, then open bolt and pull halfway back (shown in the MSC video)?

So what is the Tikka half cock mod ? What do they change on the rifle ? The whole half-cock thing seems to be a Kiwi thing, never heard of it before....
    Dead bolt is bolt closed on a loaded round but decocked so firing pin is resting on primer.
    Half cock is actually full cock with the bolt only partially lowered.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Dead bolt is bolt closed on a loaded round but decocked so firing pin is resting on primer.
    FARK !!! And guys trust that more than they trust a safety ?!?
    Why is these such a big "don't trust the safety" over here? Was there a bunch of accident involving malfunctioning safeties at some point?

Why is these such a big "don't trust the safety" over here? Was there a bunch of accident involving malfunctioning safeties at some point?
    Because dip shits fiddle with them and always testing trigger until they get the sequence out of order and then bang...scares the crap out of the animals and his hunting companions.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    Because dip shits fiddle with them and always testing trigger until they get the sequence out of order and then bang...scares the crap out of the animals and his hunting companions.
    ah, so it's not the mechanical safety, its the "finger outside the trigger guard" safety

must admit, I'd crap myself if I see someone "testing" the safety with live one up the spout - can't see any reason why you need to do that.
    done a fair bit of 3-gun compos, simple rule: if you move between positions, safety on, finger out... does not matter if it is a pistol, shotty or rifle.

ah, so it's not the mechanical safety, its the "finger outside the trigger guard" safety

must admit, I'd crap myself if I see someone "testing" the safety with live one up the spout - can't see any reason why you need to do that.
    done a fair bit of 3-gun compos, simple rule: if you move between positions, safety on, finger out... does not matter if it is a pistol, shotty or rifle.
    I have had someone "test" the safety beside me and it was only a sub .22 but I was still pretty pissed off, the rifle at the ground but between us, Not hunted with him since then... a rock there would have been interesting.
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

A lot of guys started out with old ex-military 303s, and a lot of those had safeties which were worn out and didn't work.

I get the impression a lot of older guns in general had safeties which were less reliable than most are now, but I'm not old enough to know from experience.

There is nothing like spending mega dollars on a fly in...months of prep finding people to share the trip...hyped up for a great time...and then have some egg "test" the safety two minutes from the hut...or wait till you have spent 3 hours struggling through the bush to get to the tops, dip shit "tests" the safety...I am surprised I have not left bodies all over the moutains...I am sure an understanding judge would let me off.
    The North Arm [Kaimanawas] hut has a hole in it's A frame roof due to a 'safety" check while still in the hut.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee View Post
    Is your nick name Justin
    Oh fuck. someone else put I have in there it wasn't me
    VIVA LA HOWA

People "testing" a safety catch in the bush with a live round is more about poor discipline and a lack of proper training
    outdoorlad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spook View Post
    "tests" the safety.
    Do you mean someone pulling the trigger with the safety on and having the gun fire? If so thats a pretty good argument for not trusting that safety. Or are you talking about somebody retarded enough to test if the safety is on or not by pulling trigger? In that case, you might want to find better hunting buddies. I haven't (yet) had anybody accidentally discharge a gun while I've been hunting with them.

I had the miss fortune of scaring some pigs not that long ago.....NOT from testing the safety but from the trigger adjust screw that had backed itself out without me noticing, I don't normally use safety but in this case I did, closed the bolt got in the firing position put safety to firing position...Boom Faarrk pigs in all directions, Reloaded and smacked one on the run...But fucked it up for Kevin who wasn't so good at running shots..... Stayed another day to get him his first pig....he got one bigger than the ones in the last mob ..... But you have to be careful relying on safety and a good reason to stick to the main rule ALWAYS POINT THE RIFFLE IS A SAFE DIRECTION! This wasn't a problem (Apart from the fright) as it was in the right direction... And I make a point to keep it in a safe direction...loaded or not.

This was a case of the paint put on the adjust screw not being enough to stop it adjusting, The trigger adjust screw was flush with the outside so the paint didn't get in the threads, this time I backed the screw out painted the screw and screwed it back in....might be interesting if I need to adjust it again. Doubt it will move again

Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I had the miss fortune of scaring some pigs not that long ago.....NOT from testing the safety but from the trigger adjust screw that had backed itself out without me noticing, I don't normally use safety but in this case I did, closed the bolt got in the firing position put safety to firing position...Boom Faarrk pigs in all directions, Reloaded and smacked one on the run...But fucked it up for Kevin who wasn't so good at running shots..... Stayed another day to get him his first pig....he got one bigger than the ones in the last mob ..... But you have to be careful relying on safety and a good reason to stick to the main rule ALWAYS POINT THE RIFFLE IS A SAFE DIRECTION! This wasn't a problem (Apart from the fright) as it was in the right direction... And I make a point to keep it in a safe direction...loaded or not.

This was a case of the paint put on the adjust screw not being enough to stop it adjusting, The trigger adjust screw was flush with the outside so the paint didn't get in the threads, this time I backed the screw out painted the screw and screwed it back in....might be interesting if I need to adjust it again. Doubt it will move again
    AHHHHHHHh not ever having an adjustable trigger on a rifle before I was wondering the other day why there was what appeared to be a small blob of silicon on the adjustment screw, Thanks Lethal you have just answered a question for me. Does paint or silicon work better?
    GUNS DON"T KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!
    PEOPLE with PSYCHIATRIC PROBLEMS
    NEGLECTED by the HEALTH SYSTEM
    KILL PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinehunter0 View Post
    [/COLOR]AHHHHHHHh not ever having an adjustable trigger on a rifle before I was wondering the other day why there was what appeared to be a small blob of silicon on the adjustment screw, Thanks Lethal you have just answered a question for me. Does paint or silicon work better?
    I use 2 pot paint as it cures very hard.... Nail polish is common