Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
Like Tree314Likes

Thread: Hunter rescued by helicopter after accidentally stabbing himself

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    He's just saying he doesn't have one.
    I don't either and would be in the hills more than most.
    Not to say I will never get one but I am not in a hurry.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    As above mate - don't mean to come across evangelist or preachy... Personally I would be in a hurry to carry one: but then, it's just my opinion (one of millions on the internet....)

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    As above mate - don't mean to come across evangelist or preachy... Personally I would be in a hurry to carry one: but then, it's just my opinion (one of millions on the internet....)
    You might not mean to, but you're still preaching.

Millions of people on the Internet share your opinion?

That's great.

Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    You might not mean to, but you're still preaching.

Millions of people on the Internet share your opinion?

That's great.

...one of - lighten up tiger.

R93
    WTF? I don't need to lighten up because I am not upset at all.

Just alluding to the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickoli View Post
    Thanks mate - not righteous...realist.
    And apologies for being all preachy about it; but many of us don't want to think about the "what if" scenario.
    I will back my "better safe than sorry" ass back to the bushline
    All good. Gotta realise though that mankind has being doing this stuff for a long and sometimes shits gonna happen. It sucks for the people that it happens to and the people around them. That's the way it is. As R93 said I just don't have a PLB never said it wasn't a good idea to have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

I started hunting at fifteen then fifty four years past without a disaster,touch wood. How the body has changed since those times. Rabbit Boards,South Canterbury Wallaby Board,NZFS,,contract Shooting privately and self employed meat hunting. With that past planet long gone now I look back and wonder how the hell myself and mates ever got through that era without a fatal whoopsy,a lot didn't. we did some crazy things at times.
    The cook told me a couple of years or so back '' if your gunna keep this up then It would be nice to know where your at if the shit hit's the fan, get a PLB or whatever they're called''.
    Her exact words and for once in my life I agreed with her lol.
    Tahr and gadgetman like this.

If your being looked for at night, 9/10 the pilots will have NVG.
    They illuminate light 6000x so if you have a torch, cell phone (even if no coverage use the screen to wave at the heli) or even a ciggy lighter stands out for miles! Use any light source you have to try help the machine spot you.
    Once they have you and are trying to land turn the lights off.
    It was incredible to see how these and use NVG.
    The number of people I have seen spotlighting in the early hrs when on a medivac from a
    Long long way away is amazing.
    Becons certainly make it easier to find people.

R93 I don't really see how you could say Nickoli was preaching when all he has done was share his opinion he didnt come knock on your door with a pamphlet asking you to accept a PLB as your savior. I would have thought that you of all people would realise that no matter how confident or comfortable you may feel you are at any any given task, accidents can and do happen and rubishing someone's opinion to justify your own isn't really constructive.
    Personally I find it absolute madness that kiwi blokes will spend thousands on rifles and other gear but won't buy a PLB simply because "they are expensive" ($300??? You could spend more than that taking your lady for a night out) and justify their decision not to carry one because they "spend more time in the hills than most" and thus far nothing has gone wrong for them.
    You could possibly have a total disregard for your own safety and possibly even others around you but at least for the sake of your family and others who care about you a PLB is CHEAP insurance.
    Timmay, BRADS, Mathias and 1 others like this.

Ejected
    I keep coming back for the lol's and am never disappointed.

Those of you with a PLB, do you think it might give you a bit of false confidence to push things further than if you didn't as you have an addition 'safety line' should something go wrong?
    doinit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Those of you with a PLB, do you think it might give you a bit of false confidence to push things further than if you didn't as you have an addition 'safety line' should something go wrong?
    Nah, having to be rescued because I did something stupid would be embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Probably less inclined to "have a go" now than thirty years ago. Things that bounced off back then hurt now.
    Aint that a fact, bit like the branches on a dead willow now lol.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Has anyone heard any more about the guy stabbing himself? It's gone very quiet.
    https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/10045...lf-in-the-bush

Not saying you'll now do intentionally stupid things but something that you might have second guessed in the past would you be more inclined to do now?

Like snowboarding, I wear a helmet because it gives me way more confidence and a larger safety factor to push further

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Nup, I don't take risks because I have a PLB. I have mine for piece of mind for myself, loving partner and my kids should some shit go done out in the hills. Also I'm required to have it to hunt some of the private land I'm fortunate to have access to

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    R93 I don't really see how you could say Nickoli was preaching when all he has done was share his opinion he didnt come knock on your door with a pamphlet asking you to accept a PLB as your savior. I would have thought that you of all people would realise that no matter how confident or comfortable you may feel you are at any any given task, accidents can and do happen and rubishing someone's opinion to justify your own isn't really constructive.
    Personally I find it absolute madness that kiwi blokes will spend thousands on rifles and other gear but won't buy a PLB simply because "they are expensive" ($300??? You could spend more than that taking your lady for a night out) and justify their decision not to carry one because they "spend more time in the hills than most" and thus far nothing has gone wrong for them.
    You could possibly have a total disregard for your own safety and possibly even others around you but at least for the sake of your family and others who care about you a PLB is CHEAP insurance.
    Oh FFS! I never rubbished his opinion at all. He rubbished mine.

Just pointing out the irony of how strongly he feels about the subject and can vale an insult to me and another poster who doesn't use one.

Sort of like anything else people have a strong belief in, and imply others should follow or bad things will happen.
    Remind you of anything?

I have been involved with a few SAR where they didn't work for various reasons. They are simply not infallible enough to make me think they are essential.

FFS some posters are arguing on another thread on where and how they should be carried.

I also said I don't have one now. Might get one one day but I am not in a hurry.

You yourself are saying or implying I have no regard for my own safety or the people around me? Where the fuck does that come from? Because I don't have a PLB?
    Get over yourself. You don't know me and certainly haven't walked in my boots.

There are other protocals to ensure you are found should the need arise and maybe that is suffice for me and my family for now.

veitnamcam and EeeBees like this.

Tahr, veitnamcam, Savage1 and 11 others like this.