Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Illeagal firearms amnesty?

Honestly i would rather see them doing something about it then nothing.

Would think its more like likes of parents who 14 year olds have stolen slug guns that will get handed in instead of pistols but might save a few neighbourhood cats getting shot at.
    Tahr likes this.

Been through two buy backs in australia.It didnt work there and it wont work here.Lots of dealears and knowledgeable sellers made alot of dollars from crap and the good stuff never made it inside to the hydraulic press.

I remember a dodgy police auction where an Arm Officer purchased a very cheap Luger, after warning all about not bidding if you didn't have the correct licence and not to bid on behalf of anybody else, nearly got it for $50 until I bid him up to just over $100. Offered to a mate of mine a few weeks later for $300, mate told him where to go! Good old police auctions
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by 199p View Post
    Honestly i would rather see them doing something about it then nothing.

Would think its more like likes of parents who 14 year olds have stolen slug guns that will get handed in instead of pistols but might save a few neighbourhood cats getting shot at.
    I agree. About 15 years ago when I was still living in the UK the cops did an amnesty and to an extent it worked. Within the space of a couple of months hundreds of illegal firearms were handed in. Believe it or not at my local copy shop someone walked in and handed in a ww2 cannon.

You are never gonna stop the people that really want a gun from getting one but if it means even 1 illegal gun is handed in does that not make it worth it? Might stop someone who for whatever reason ended up with one but doesn't want it from doing something stupid. Just my opinion
    Last edited by bigred; 10-01-2017 at 08:12 PM.
    Tahr and Steve123 like this.

Banned
    I think it's great idea to have one again.

It might not get many AK47s off the gangs, but it will collect a lot of old shit that people don't want anymore and is worth nothing to sell. Old rusty things in the back of wardrobes or toolsheds.

My brother handed in a stuffed, side by side shotgun and a .22 with a missing bolt from his in-laws in an amnesty about 20 something years ago. Even I didn't want them.

Just because there's a 'permanent' amnesty, doesn't mean everybody knows about it. All it costs the Government is a little advertising and gets some unwanted guns out of circulation.

If dealers, or anybody else with a licence, offer people money for them instead, good on them.

I have an Idea
    It may be a little crazy and left of field but.........

We could have a forum amnesty!
    Any unwanted firearms you have, or know some one who has, laying about

you can send to me
    mikee, Maca49, nzvermin and 3 others like this.

Awesome idea, and you can auction what you don't want!
    Reindeer likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Along with all the "guns are bad, guns are evil" stuff in the news at present all it may do is see people who have firearms that belonged to grandparents etc but have no interest in them seeing this as a way of disposing of them. Antiques that do not require permitting along with historically important stuff could get caught in the net along with some scrap metal and other things.
    While the idea may score brownie points it wont reach the target audience (crims), it may reduce the number of unsecured workable firearms but there will be a huge by catch of historical rare and unusual pieces along with those of family heirloom status that really dont need to be handed in for destruction. I would be more comfortable if the existing options were advertised and handed in weapons could be resold (if suitable) with most of the proceeds going to the persons who handed them in.
    gadgetman, blake and rockland like this.

Damn straight and coincedentally, 7mmwsm does a fantastic job on cats
    Maca49 likes this.

In my day it was a double happy up the ring gear and let them go, they never came back for a second insertion?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

northdude
    but i really like my rpg

Quote Originally Posted by systolic View Post
    I think it's great idea to have one again.

It might not get many AK47s off the gangs, but it will collect a lot of old shit that people don't want anymore and is worth nothing to sell. Old rusty things in the back of wardrobes or toolsheds.

My brother handed in a stuffed, side by side shotgun and a .22 with a missing bolt from his in-laws in an amnesty about 20 something years ago. Even I didn't want them.

Just because there's a 'permanent' amnesty, doesn't mean everybody knows about it. All it costs the Government is a little advertising and gets some unwanted guns out of circulation.

If dealers, or anybody else with a licence, offer people money for them instead, good on them.
    I'd almost agree with you, except for the fact you can hand in firearms to the police for destruction at any given time. (edit: Difference is the amnesty, where if you have a stolen firearm, there's no repercussions for your crime if you give it back) [also doubt you'd get it back if it was stolen from you too].

In general I agree there is nothing to lose from this idea, however I despise the fact they're using it to say "Hey look, we're doing something!"
    When in reality they're not doing jack shit.
    gadgetman, Tommy, Knoxy_09 and 1 others like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexla View Post
    I'd almost agree with you, except for the fact you can hand in firearms to the police for destruction at any given time. (edit: Difference is the amnesty, where if you have a stolen firearm, there's no repercussions for your crime if you give it back) [also doubt you'd get it back if it was stolen from you too].

In general I agree there is nothing to lose from this idea, however I despise the fact they're using it to say "Hey look, we're doing something!"
    When in reality they're not doing jack shit.
    As I said: Just because there's a 'permanent' amnesty, doesn't mean everybody knows about it.

If someone really wanted to get a firearm disposed of, no Q's asked, safely - NZ has the biggest coastline going, a fucking zillion places to sling one in and it'd be garbage in 24 hours. Acidic volcanic mud pits, burnt in a drum fire... there's a million ways. The delusion is that people in possession of said firearms want to get rid of them. It's a joke.
    It reads like a promo for a crap radio station.
    Last edited by Tommy; 11-01-2017 at 08:54 PM.
    mikee likes this.

We should (I would if i knowed how!!! ) send this thread to Bush, Cahill, English and Minister of Cops to eddicate them to our thinking.....